BMW Shows Off Its Motorrad ConnectedRide HUD Smartglasses That Can Be Used for Up to Ten Hours of Operation

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Riders looking for a high-tech HUD experience have a new option on the horizon as BMW shows off its new smart glasses that can be used with its Motorrad app. The ConnectedRide Smartglasses are powered by a lithium-ion battery that can last up to ten hours when fully charged making them ideal for medium to long distance trips. They come with two types of UVA/UVB lenses for eye protection from the sun and can be adapted for those with prescription lenses by an optician using an RX adapter. The ConnectedRide Smartglasses can be used with any of BMW's bikes that support the Motorrad app and the HUD includes information such as speed, speed limit, GPS data, gear, and more. BMW has not yet said how much the ConnectedRide smartglasses will cost.

See full article...

Why would I want this?
Im not a motorcyclist but the information presented and the place presented doesn't seem very useful.

and the place presented doesn't seem very useful.
It does seem to be rather obtrusive, but maybe it's not that bad once you are wearing them.

I have some phone apps that will do something similar - you just set them on the dash and they use high contrast colors and you can see the reflection in the windshield. Bright light and other things can wash it out so it's not 100% reliable, but it's faint enough you can stare right through it if you wanted to but normally just visible enough to see whatever it is they are presenting. I have a speedometer and an off-road app that use this. I don't use them daily but it's nice to have available.

Not to mention some cars have minor HUD elements for the windshield already. Corvettes have had them for at least a few generations. I can see why someone might want this for a motorcycle, or any vehicle that doesn't really have a windshield. Would be handy to have racing helmets with some HUD elements. I can only hope that what was presented above can be customized, cuz yeah the way it was presented seemed kinda obtrusive.

Not to mention some cars have minor HUD elements for the windshield already. Corvettes have had them for at least a few generations. I can see why someone might want this for a motorcycle, or any vehicle that doesn't really have a windshield. Would be handy to have racing helmets with some HUD elements. I can only hope that what was presented above can be customized, cuz yeah the way it was presented seemed kinda obtrusive.
There already are helmets with HUD's in them. Some of them are designed for track use with GPS, track map, show speed and RPM. You never have to look down at your gauges.

Become a Patron!
Back