Intel Leaves the NUC Business: “We Have Decided to Stop Direct Investment”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
It's a sad day for fans of Intel's Next Unit of Compute (NUC) systems, as HarwareLuxx has received word from the company that it is no longer investing in these small-form-factor products and will be distancing itself from the business pretty much entirely. The decision comes around half a year after Intel released its collection of NUC 13 Extreme products, which marked the 10-year anniversary of the family with a Raptor Canyon kit and more. Intel says it will continue to support existing products on the market, while other publications have pointed out that this basically implies Intel has exited the PC business.

See full article...

I always thought they were a neat concept but I never really saw a strong use case for them. They were a bit more than a Mac Mini (which, when they were Intel-based, I populated all over the place as they were nice, cheap, robust units), and seemed to want to be gaming oriented, in a crazy small form factor. Now that ARM Windows is making a better showing I may be able to return to deploying Minis

Anyway, I can't really say I'm surprised to see them go, but I am sad to see them go.

Im sad about this. Ill have to make sure to pick one up before they are gone.
I like the small form factor with associated low cost.
Never was interested in the high end ones that cost as much as a full blown PC.

I'm bummed about this as well but the writing was kind of on the wall. I've lost track of how many announcements I've seen for various models over the last three years and their 10th-13th gen CPU-based offerings mostly all seem strong enough to last for a good bit so the market is probably oversaturated at this point. I think they are a neat idea as well but there is a limited market for them as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see it revived in about 3-5 gens once things start to age out. Heck, by then there could easilly be some impressive SoCs happening that will do what these were being used for as I'm sure there already are out there.

It figures that they would discontinue the NUCs just as I began to take an interest in them. Their main appeal to me when compared with most alternatives is that I have more confidence that the Intel unit will be built to an acceptable standard of quality. I don't have the same level of confidence in the Chinese-brand Mini PCs that I often see mentioned. I haven't spent much time exploring the options yet, however.

Consumer electronics can be such a headache. 😭

It figures that they would discontinue the NUCs just as I began to take an interest in them. Their main appeal to me when compared with most alternatives is that I have more confidence that the Intel unit will be built to an acceptable standard of quality. I don't have the same level of confidence in the Chinese-brand Mini PCs that I often see mentioned. I haven't spent much time exploring the options yet, however.

Consumer electronics can be such a headache. 😭
Asrock likes to make mini pc's if that's any help to you.

Become a Patron!
Back