NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40 SUPER Series Will Reportedly Start at $599 and Offer Up to 22% Faster Performance Than Current Models

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
IT Home and EXP Review have shared new rumors regarding NVIDIA's GeForce RTX 40 SUPER Series, revealing what could not only be their pricing, but also how their performance might compare with the standard versions that are available on today's market.

See full article...

Its funny how they conveniently do this right after the holiday shopping season, so they can maximize sales of existing models before immediately dropping new models right after the holidays making every lucky kid who got a brand new GPU for the holidays feel like their gift was somehow cheapened.

That said, the $600-$1100 Christmas gift market seems to be for rather spoiled kids...

Yeah, can’t say I ever got a video card as a gift, even back during the voodoo 2 days. Mouse? Sure. CPU / video card? Nope

Yeah, can’t say I ever got a video card as a gift, even back during the voodoo 2 days. Mouse? Sure. CPU / video card? Nope

I can't remember how I got my Matrix Mystique 3D (which luckily failed and I got a full refund under the protection plan and bought a Voodoo1)

The Mystique was like $180 back then. It came out in 1996. When it failed it was towards the end of the coverage period, so I probably got my Voodoo1 (Miro Hiscore 3D, 6MB version, European version of the Canopies Pure 3D) it was probably not long before the Voodoo2 launch, and thus cheaper. I may have had to throw some extra money in on top of the protection plan money from the Mystique to get the voodoo. Can't remember. It's been more than 25 years.

It's possible I saved up my paper route money and bought it myself, but I just can't remember.

Even if it was a gift though, video cards back then were WAY cheaper than they are today.

I don't think it was a gift though. My parents didn't give big gifts like that. Except for that one time I got my first PC a 286, but it was obsolete already when I got it in 1991, and it was one of those combined birthday Xmas + all of my allowance for the next year type arrangements. I feel like I maybe had to sign a contract, but I can't remember.

I guess I was out on my own by the time I was buying more recent GPU's, so nothing since then was ever a gift, and I would have expected them to be, as they were way too expensive.

GeForce2 GTS -> GeForce 3 TI500 -> GeForce 6800 GT... etc. etc. These were funded through college summer job money :p

I got a GeForce 2 Pro 64MB (Guillemot Hercules) for Christmas in the late 90s (I think it was 1998). I think my mom paid around $320 for it. My dad was NOT pleased (nor was he happy about the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 I got back then, which I think was around $75 - seems so silly to me, cuz ever since then I have never paid more than $40 for a mouse, usually in the 20s or 30s). If my dad heard how much video cards cost these days...

I got a GeForce 2 Pro 64MB (Guillemot Hercules) for Christmas in the late 90s (I think it was 1998). I think my mom paid around $320 for it. My dad was NOT pleased (nor was he happy about the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 I got back then, which I think was around $75 - seems so silly to me, cuz ever since then I have never paid more than $40 for a mouse, usually in the 20s or 30s). If my dad heard how much video cards cost these days...

You mean TNT2 Pro? I don't think the Geforce branding was used until late 1999 with the Geforce 256, and the Geforce 2 was a 2001 thing.

Actually no, TNT2 Pro first came out in October 99, same month as the Geforce 256.

Last edited:
I can't say I ever got a video card that was not a gift until I was in college. How else? Even back then video cards were the most expensive component of a gaming PC. I have not seen that kind of cash on me until I started working full time. When I was still in college I scraped by on second hand mid tier HW. With one exception when I got a great deal on a "used" 9800PRO.

I don't think the Geforce branding was used in late 1999 with the Geforce 256, and the Geforce 2 was a 2001 thing.
There goes my old-man memory. GeForce 2 GTS and Ultra came out in Fall 2000, and I think the Pro was released shortly after. I must have gotten it for Christmas in 2000. I know I had the GF2 Pro before my Athlon Tbird, which I got in Summer 2001 (though I believe that CPU actually came out before the GeForce 2 line). I was no longer living at my parents' house by the end of 2001, so I couldn't have gotten it for Christmas then. Either way, 1998 was way off. I should've known because I was playing UT1 GotY edition which came out in '99 (and I don't think I got it until 2000).

Here are some pics of the card I took in 2019:

I can't say I ever got a video card that was not a gift until I was in college. How else? Even back then video cards were the most expensive component of a gaming PC. I have not seen that kind of cash on me until I started working full time. When I was still in college I scraped by on second hand mid tier HW. With one exception when I got a great deal on a "used" 9800PRO.
I worked 3 part time jobs in high school. I got paid minimally to work on the family farm, I worked on the road crew of a band as dumb muscle for 50 a night, and then I worked Saturdays at a furniture moving company.

I added a 4th job when I turned 16 and started working at the local ISP doing dial up internet tech support.

I was able to fully pay for my own tech starting with my pentium 2 400 with a Voodoo2 12mb the day the p2 400 was released.

I ended up with SLI on that voodoo 2 because I won a second at a quake 2 tournament in fall of 99. It was amazing

Last edited:
I worked 3 part time jobs in high school. I got paid minimally to work on the family farm, I worked on the road crew of a band as dumb muscle for 50 a night, and then I worked Saturdays at a furniture moving company.

I added a 4th job when I turned 16 and started working at the local ISP doing dial up internet tech support.

I was able to fully pay for my own tech starting with my pentium 2 400 with a Voodoo2 12mb the day the p2 400 was released.

I ended up with SLI on that voodoo 2 because I won a second at a quake 2 tournament in fall of 99. It was amazing
Just goes to show how different it was it in the Eastern block. My first full time summer job paid $90. Not for a night, for a month. If I could earn 50 in one day, I'd have been the richest man in my neighborhood. :LOL:

Just goes to show how different it was it in the Eastern block. My first full time summer job paid $90. Not for a night, for a month. If I could earn 50 in one day, I'd have been the richest man in my neighborhood. :LOL:
The reverse of that is, what constituted a living wage back then? I mean I know we were so old they were laying the foundations for the pyramids. ;)

I've had family help, and give on their own, with various tech stuff throughout the years but for the most part, I've been buying it all on my own exclusively for the last decade or two. Crap is just too expensive to even begin to think about asking someone else to be involved in. At this point if they ask about what to give I ask for a restaurant or Amazon gift card.

I will say that my first dGPU cards came as part of hand-me-downs in P1 and P2 builds. I think I even had one come in a junk box from somebody. I don't even remember what any of them were. I know that my first video card purchases happened with my P4 build which is still in a closet with its last card which is an AGP ATI Radeon. Since then, ~2005-2007, I sometimes get depressed in thinking about what has likely been well over $10K in video card purchases.

The reverse of that is, what constituted a living wage back then? I mean I know we were so old they were laying the foundations for the pyramids. ;)
Average wage was around $200 for a month back then. True cost of living was also lower here than the US, but not to the same degree as salaries. And unfortunately the lower cost never applied to electronics and computer parts, those were always more expensive due to extra taxes and companies consistently short changing Europe with the $1 = €1 BS.

so thinking about it It tried to get my son into computer IT stuff. He just never got into it at all. I should have made him want it and just disassembled the first PC I got him and had him put it together and make it work. That was my mistake I think. I kept the magic in the box and didn't let him discover it himself.

I sold newspapers from middle school until halfway through highschool when I quit to focus on my studies which took all my time (The International Baccalaureate program with an all Science/Math higher level focus is no joke). Summers in highschool I worked in a fruit and vegetable distribution center in a huge airport sized refrigerated warehouse, and then in college I did minimum wage jobs as a sales person at department stores during the summer, and worked in computer labs eventually making it to management during the semesters.

Almost every one of my big PC hardware investments back then came after returning to school with a fresh $4-5k in my pocket from working crazy overtime all summer since my parents were in a new town where I knew no one and had no social life.

It worries me that kids these days don't work. Especially the ones who wind up going off to college. Working unskilled low wage labor jobs builds character and gives you respect for the people who do them, something which is often sorely lacking in adults who haven't had that experience.

In my opinion everyone should have to work a hard labor, retail or food service job for at least a couple years when they are young to gain perspective, understanding of and compassion for the other 65% of people, even if they are star students headed for elite universities. If that were the case this world would have fewer a-holes.

Last edited:
Over here families get child benefits which you lose if the child works too many hours.

Kids from 16 on can do a certain amount of hours (in my day it used to be 1 month full time) b4 this happens and they get huge tax breaks so a 16 year olds net income can be higher then a regular employee with some seniority.

That how I paid for my first PC (a lousy Cyrix 133mhz with an edge 3d GPU/sound card in one) sound worked in almost no game and I added a SB16 soon after.

so thinking about it It tried to get my son into computer IT stuff. He just never got into it at all. I should have made him want it and just disassembled the first PC I got him and had him put it together and make it work. That was my mistake I think. I kept the magic in the box and didn't let him discover it himself.
My dad was the one who got me into PCs (and basketball and cars, whereas my mom was the one who got me into video games). One summer day he sat me down and said "this is how you build a PC" and took me through the whole process. I've been hooked ever since.

I have struggled a little with this too.

I started the kiddo too early. I built him a basic PC from spare parts I had laying around when he was 6 because he was really interested in NES emulation and Minecraft.

I - of course - wasn't expecting him to actually build it himself at that age, but I thought it would be a positive if he got exposed to seeing it early.

Get 'em hooked on PC parts and they'll never be able to afford drugs :p

He was excited and watched for about a half an hour but the young kid timer eventually ran out and I finished it on my own.

After that, I have involved him in every upgrade to his machine, but it hasn't been until more recently (age 15-16) where he has taken a more active interest in the process.

We recently did a drop in upgrade of an 5800x3D and faster (DDR4-3600) RAM in his old MSI B350 Tomahawk for his 16th birthday and he was interested in not just watching but going hands on and actually installing stuff.

(Can I just say that the MSI B350 Tomahawk was one hell of a motherboard. Cheap when it was new, and still relevant today. Sure you don't get Gen4 PCIe but you dont really need it, and in every other regard it just keeps kicking ***. One of the best PC part purchases I've made in a very long time. It started with a Ryzen 5 1600x in 2016. At some point it got a Ryzen 7 3800xt and now a 5800x3D as a last huzzah for the platform)

So we are getting there. I'll admit, I have made his life much easier in this regard than I had it when I was a kid. I went from obsolete PC to obsolete PC scrounging for used upgrade parts when I was a kid. I had an 8Mhz 286 in 1991 (the year the 486 was released) and did a drop in motherboard upgrade to the slowest 486 (sx25) in 1994 (a year after the Pentium was launched)

I'll totally admit I am spoiling this kid a bit. But at the same time, this hobby is way more expensive than it used to be. Especially since back then everything was local. You could have a 2 generation old PC and swap floppies playing older games with friends who also had obsolete PC's. There wasn't the constant Internet reminder of the latest games and hardware, and the need to be able to play them or be unable to play with your friends online.

So I bounce back and forth between not wanting to spoil him, and not wanting to let his computer get old enough that he gets discouraged.

This Xmas the plan was to gift him a GPU upgrade. He has an RTX 2060 Super which is starting to show its age and hold him back in multiplayer games. But ****. Those GPU's are way more expensive than they used to be even now. I was thinking a 4060ti was appropriate but two things are giving me second thoughts. One is that it is only x8. Coupled with that his motherboard is only gen3, I am a little concerned. 8x Gen4 is certainly fine, but 8x Gen3 is tight, especially if the VRAM runs out and it starts swapping to system RAM.

Second is that 8GB VRAM issue. 8GB is tight in 2023, and this GPU is going to have to last a while, especially considering how pricy they now are. You can get a 16GB 4060ti, but it is priced stupidly. Like, you might as well buy a 4070.

So that's where I was, leaning towards the cheapest 4070 I can find, but even the $529 that wound up being is one hell of a large ticket kid spoiling gift. Like, I can easily afford it. That's not the issue, but I worry about spoiling the kid.

So that's where I am stuck right now. $529 is not a big deal to me. Heck, in post inflation greater Boston, that's only two dinners out for my wife and I.

I really don't want to spoil him too much though.

I think the current plan is to wait for the SUPER upgrades that are rumored to be coming in January. We plan on traveling this holiday anyway, so I'll give him a GPU Update IOU for Xmas and we will see what happens to pricing and availability after the SUPER launch.

Become a Patron!
Back