Ubisoft Exec Acknowledges the Risks of Subscription Fatigue but Says That Gamers Need to Get Used to Not Owning Games

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
A Ubisoft Exec has shared their thoughts on some topics regarding the current state of the gaming industry including where it may be going. Philippe Tremblay, Ubisoft's Director of subscription sales, spoke with GamesIndustry.Biz about the game publisher's rebranding/restructuring of its Ubisoft+ subscription services. The Ubisoft Exec had some interesting things to say about changes that are happening within the industry. He conveys in the interview how Ubisoft has been extensively analyzing the market of subscription services, for both games but also including movies and television, and the shopping behavior of its customers.

See full article...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Naw dawg, I don't think so. If I can't own it, then I won't use it. Streaming didn't replace DVDs or BDs for me (but grabbing DVD rips and BD rips did), and I will NEVER ever subscribe to a service to play video games. I buy games that are fully playable locally and offline, and which I actually own. Ubisoft is basically telling gamers to go "pirate" their games. Then again they've been doing that ever since they came out with uPlay (which is now Connect I guess).

The ONLY digital storefront I truly respect is GOG.

If you acquired a video game local install through any means you don't own the game. If you paid money you have a license to use the software. You don't OWN the software. And these days that License isn't even portable.

If you acquired a video game local install through any means you don't own the game. If you paid money you have a license to use the software. You don't OWN the software. And these days that License isn't even portable.
Too true. Gotta love that EULA fine print.

If you paid money you have a license to use the software. You don't OWN the software. And these days that License isn't even portable.
Yeah, with most storefronts like Steam, but not GOG (last I checked).

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Naw dawg, I don't think so. If I can't own it, then I won't use it. Streaming didn't replace DVDs or BDs for me (but grabbing DVD rips and BD rips did), and I will NEVER ever subscribe to a service to play video games. I buy games that are fully playable locally and offline, and which I actually own.
As others have said, you do not own games. You never have. Such software always remains the property of the publishers and developers that created it and even the purchase of physical media does not change that. It only constitutes a license to use the software. Just to further this point, it's actually always been the same with movies released on physical media. There is a reason why they have all that licensing crap up front on the old VHS and Betamax movies. It's even illegal to play your DVD or Blu-Ray in a public space as it violates the license.

You do not, and never have owned any video game, film or operating system.

Yeah, with most storefronts like Steam, but not GOG (last I checked).
You still don't own the software. Again, even physical media does not constitute ownership of the software. You even still have to agree to the license to install it or use it. The difference is that GOG doesn't add any additional DRM and allows you to retain a local installer for reinstallation should you need to use it.

Last edited:
It's not GOG that owns the game, it's the maker/publisher that gives you a lioocense to play.
When you have a local, offline copy of the game that you legally paid for, isn't that just as much ownership as having a physical disc?

As others have said, you do not own games. You never have. Such software always remains the property of the publishers and developers that created it and even the purchase of physical media does not change that.
I meant I own a copy of the game, not the IP rights.

You still don't own the software. Again, even physical media does not constitute ownership of the software. You even still have to agree to the license to install it or use it. The difference is that GOG doesn't add any additional DRM and allows you to retain a local installer for reinstallation should you need to use it.
Yeah I get what you're driving at.

As others have said, you do not own games. You never have. Such software always remains the property of the publishers and developers that created it and even the purchase of physical media does not change that. It only constitutes a license to use the software. Just to further this point, it's actually always been the same with movies released on physical media. There is a reason why they have all that licensing crap up front on the old VHS and Betamax movies. It's even illegal to play your DVD or Blu-Ray in a public space as it violates the license.
Nobody in their right mind thinks they own the intellectual property rights when they buy a copy of a software or a movie.
What they own is the unrevokable licence to play it at home.

But with a subscription you don't even own a licence, whatever you buy can be taken away and you have no recourse against it.

Nobody in their right mind thinks they own the intellectual property rights when they buy a copy of a software or a movie.

But with a subscription you don't even own a licence, whatever you buy can be taken away and you have no recourse against it.
100% this. It's why I resist subscribing to a gaming service be that xbox, PS5, or any of the PC ones.

Well I think we can all agree that to some extent none of us own anything anymore, if we ever did, and the only thing really changing is the extent to which we can use it. I will say that is why I too, like @DrezKill mentioned, try to get everything I can on GOG and like @Grimlakin also mentioned, I will not pay for a gaming subscription service.

I get what Ubisoft is refering to with the obvious rise of Netflix, Disney, Max, etc. but the gaming community isn't quite ready, and may never be, to do a full on switch. However for physical movie/t.v. discs, the writing sure seems to be on the wall but I too am one of those who will fight it.

I'm well aware of this as its happened to me on Amazon Prime. Video I've "purchased" is suddenly no longer available in North America.

The same can be said about some physical media, if it needs a server to run you are done playing if the servers go down. or if they ban your product key.
I get what Ubisoft is refering to with the obvious rise of Netflix, Disney, Max, etc. but the gaming community isn't quite ready, and may never be, to do a full on switch. However for physical movie/t.v. discs, the writing sure seems to be on the wall but I too am one of those who will fight it.
I would consider a sub if they could cranck out enough games I would like to play but Ubisoft only makes a couple games a year and most are of no interest to me buying the ones I want is cheaper.

The same would be true for most companies making video games, even Netfliw atm is barely keeping up with stuff I want to watch and I have access to shows that people in the US for example don't have access to due to rights.

Im going to ask about a different aspect of this.

If subscriptions were to become the norm for games, I could see this impacting game design for the worst as games would then need to "take a long time" to maximize the money from it.

Or conversely the subscription could be very costly monthly because you have to pay for a sub to 100's of game just to get access to the one you want.

So do you all think there is danger of either of these scenario's?

I would think the greater danger would be churn - getting as many “flavor of the month” shovelware titles out as fast as possible

Basically what the mobile app stores have become

Well I think we can all agree that to some extent none of us own anything anymore, if we ever did, and the only thing really changing is the extent to which we can use it. I will say that is why I too, like @DrezKill mentioned, try to get everything I can on GOG and like @Grimlakin also mentioned, I will not pay for a gaming subscription service.
It's worse than you think. We are not just not owning software anymore, we do not even own the hardware sometimes. All the devices that phone home and lock you out of functionality or become completely bricked without connecting to the internet, you don't technically own them.

Buying and not owning, that's a no go for me, this is why before Netflix the only streaming service I ever signed up to were the ones where I could rip the content. They say but that's illegal, well then recording from linear TV was illegal too.
It's not a readiness question it is outright rejection, just as we rejected NFTs, another thing ubisoft was keen on pushing.
I'm well aware of this as its happened to me on Amazon Prime. Video I've "purchased" is suddenly no longer available in North America.
I once saw a movie that I've been hunting for years listed as "available on prime" so I signed up, and then it disappeared completely from the listing due to it not being available in my region. Because until I actually signed up it was showing everything regardless of region. Amazon is garbage tier these days anyway, I'm more confident ordering from aliexpress than from there.
The same can be said about some physical media, if it needs a server to run you are done playing if the servers go down. or if they ban your product key.
This is why some of us were vocal against online activation in single player games since its first inception with securom in the early 2000s.
I would consider a sub if they could cranck out enough games I would like to play but Ubisoft only makes a couple games a year and most are of no interest to me buying the ones I want is cheaper.
I'd never consider it for two reasons. First you'd need a subscription for every major publisher, second normalizing subscription instead of purchase gives them free reign to shut down less successful games even faster than they are doing now. I care about game preservation, especially for titles that I like.

I would think the greater danger would be churn - getting as many “flavor of the month” shovelware titles out as fast as possible

Basically what the mobile app stores have become
Yes, exactly this. There is always a catch, if everyone got on to the program and subscribed instead of purchasing games, that means they'd focus even harder on secondary monetization like in game purchases or god forbid ad breaks in games. I know PC gaming has been written off many times by many people over the years, but going to a subscription only model would actually kill it.

Become a Patron!
Back