NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Celebrates Its 7th Anniversary

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, a Pascal-generation GPU that is fondly remembered by enthusiasts for delivering what was "Ultimate GeForce" performance despite its (now-relatively) cheap $699 MSRP, is now officially seven years old.

See full article...

I got friends who are still using this card. I would still be on this card myself if @Peter_Brosdahl hadn't hooked me up with an RTX 3090 just over a year ago. I bought my EVGA 1080 Ti brand-new in 2019 (so a couple years after launch) for $430. A Titan Pascal with 1GB less vRAM and faster clock speeds for the memory and GPU. Good gawd the thing was a monster. One of nVidia's best if I do say so myself. Definitely one of the best cards I've used in my entire life.

Yep, I've still got a Strix OC edition up in the closet that I touched base with Kyle and David on how to fine tune my OC settings. One of the best, and most used, cards I've had to date. It's always a "moment of silence" kind of thing anytime someone posts about retiring any 1080 Ti on Reddit. I've got a 2080 Ti that got a ton of hours on it as well.

The 1080 Ti was also the card that set me straight on that it can often be better to bite the bullet and pay more for the top tier card and enjoy it for many more years than to aim lower and have to upgrade sooner, or get used to lowering more settings sooner. I haven't really had any regrets with that line of thought since, other than it hurts the wallet a bit more with each release. It was also the card that served as a launching point for me to break away from years of SLI and shift to single GPUs.

The 1080 Ti was also the card that set me straight on that it can often be better to bite the bullet and pay more for the top tier card and enjoy it for many more years than to aim lower and have to upgrade sooner, or get used to lowering more settings sooner.
This happened to me too. In the past I always bought the card that was one step below the flagship. Getting a 1080 Ti was first time in my life I got a flagship card (well that's not true cuz a friend gave me a Radeon 9800 Pro once, but that was after the 9800 XT had come out). Sure I didn't pay full MSRP, but still, I got to experience what living with such a card was like. And yeah man, those things got staying power. Not that I was unhappy with how long I stayed on the step-below cards I was using before. But the flagships card can really be stretched out. And that got me thinking about my future purchases.

I think that was one of the best nvidia made. That and the 8800 GTX were two of their best. I had a 1080 Ti in a VR machine until this past winter.
In fact I skipped the RTX 2000 series because the 1080 Ti was just that much better at the time.

I gave away my 1080ti to a friend 2 months ago, and it upgraded his 1660 Super. That card is probably going to live another 3 years in his machine - almost certainly the longest lived card I’ll have ever used.

The 10k series was nice from Nvidia. I had the 1070 back then. No regrets at all.

I got a 1080Ti somewhere I think. Its a EVGA Hydro series but the AIO has gone bad in it. Pretty sure the liquid is low and/or empty so it doesn't cool worth a ****.

I only had a regular 1080, and I wasn't that impressed by it. This prompted me to make a tier list of all the video cards that I owned.

gputier.png

I only had a regular 1080, and I wasn't that impressed by it.
I had a pair of Gigabyte OC 1080's in SLI in my last SLI build. They did okay and were an entry point for me with 4K gaming back in the day but were only roughly 20% more powerful together than the 1080 Ti Strix OC after I overclocked it a bit further.

In reverse comparison, a single 1080 was around 20% slower than the 1080 Ti. Just did a quick search and it appears I wasn't the only one who saw that.

1713124098970.png

I think PASCAL overall but particularly the 1080Ti is the best series of nvidia cards. I had a 1070 and 1070Ti myself and they were awesome.

I have fond memories of most of my nvidia cards (even the 5900) but pascal is in thr top of the list

I bought one off Kyle during his hardware review blowout sale 5 or whatever years ago. I just sold it this year and got a 4070. Made me sad to sell it but at least it found a loving new home and isn't just sitting in my closet collecting dust.

HAHAHAHAHAHA I like how 290X is in the GOAT section, but 290X Crossfire is in the Garbage section!
Because in 9 out of 10 games turning on crossfire actually made the game run slower. Even when the average FPS increased the microstutters often made the overall experience worse.

The 290x however was the first true 4K card, I played Dragon Age inquisition in 4K with it.

I had a pair of Gigabyte OC 1080's in SLI in my last SLI build. They did okay and were an entry point for me with 4K gaming back in the day but were only roughly 20% more powerful together than the 1080 Ti Strix OC after I overclocked it a bit further.

In reverse comparison, a single 1080 was around 20% slower than the 1080 Ti. Just did a quick search and it appears I wasn't the only one who saw that.
1080 SLI was my last attempt at multi GPU systems, and it barely made a difference, but at least it didn't make games run worse, unlike crossfire.

I did not plan to go SLI, but when I switched from 980Ti to a 1080, my 980TI had died before I could sell it but it was still under warranty and they replaced it with a 1080. So I ended up with two unintentionally.

1080 SLI was my last attempt at multi GPU systems, and it barely made a difference, but at least it didn't make games run worse
Odd it ran pretty well for me with the few remaining games I was playing at the time that still supported it: Mass Effect Andromeda, The Witcher 3, Metro 2033 and Last Light, all three of the Tomb Raider games, and Batman Arkham City. My biggest complaint at the time was that support was ending else I would've gotten a 2nd Ti and called it a day but by that point, the writing was on the wall. My other complaint with the 1080 was lesser VRAM as I'd already seen issues with some games (Andromeda and SOTR) hitting limits with it at 4K. I also remember with 1080 SLI how it was a PIA for me to get the right high-bandwidth bridge for the X79/4930K setup I had them in but once that was done it did help a bit more.

I admit I never had an R290 but for me, the 1080 Ti was definitely the G.O.A.T. My last team red GPU was an ATI Radeon of some sort in my P4 build that was a bit too crash-happy for my tastes. I lost track of how many builds the 1080 Ti floated around to, and how well it performed at 1440p, and a little at 4K. I only finally retired mine ~2019-2021.

Become a Patron!
Back