$200/2 TB SSD Deals on Amazon

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Man if either of those were even just an m.2 drive I would be sorely tempted. I no longer have interest in 2.5in drives. But good looking out! Seems like a decent deal!

Man if either of those were even just an m.2 drive I would be sorely tempted. I no longer have interest in 2.5in drives. But good looking out! Seems like a decent deal!
I agree but for those who can't afford an m.2 right now it's not the worst deal. I'm mostly in the same boat though. I'd love to upgrade to a 4TB m.2 PCIe 4.0 but I have no fantasies on how that's going to cost me a chunk of money. Just going to have to wait. 4 TB may seem overkill but I'd love to have a single drive to drop in, and forget about for a few years or more.

Well duh. Everyone would be running out (online, LOL) to buy 4tb SSDs for $200.

The question is what vendor will brave that territory first. The problem is what it does to the rest of the product stack. Do you have to abandon the bottom of your product stack and move everything up. What about warranty replacements and so on and so on... I'm rather sure that 4tb for a consumer grade NVME at a 200 dollar price point would be profitable. The problem is scaling that price down to smaller units would actually push them out of profitability. *SHAKES FIST*

The question is what vendor will brave that territory first. The problem is what it does to the rest of the product stack. Do you have to abandon the bottom of your product stack and move everything up. What about warranty replacements and so on and so on... I'm rather sure that 4tb for a consumer grade NVME at a 200 dollar price point would be profitable. The problem is scaling that price down to smaller units would actually push them out of profitability. *SHAKES FIST*

It would more just push them out of the product stack. That's how hard drives worked when storage capacities were going up by 20GB/half year back in the day. On the back end/distributor side, a 40GB and 60GB drive would be offered at the same price, or within pennies of a difference until those 40s sold through. Same thing has happened on the SATA SSDs and NVME SSDs. Have you seen any 120-128GB NVME drives launch lately? Any of those on PCI-4.0?

I run one of the BX500's in my main PC and it does fine, just slightly slower than the WD Blue.

I remember when I bought my first HDD back in 2000. I think it was a 40GB model, but it may have been a little bigger. My primary drive was 20GB and the guy at the store told me and I quote "You'll never fill that thing up!"

and I accepted that challenge.

I remember when I bought my first HDD back in 2000. I think it was a 40GB model, but it may have been a little bigger. My primary drive was 20GB and the guy at the store told me and I quote "You'll never fill that thing up!"

and I accepted that challenge.

Lol that's cute. Many of us remember computers that didn't even have 64kb of memory. Let alone a Harddrive! The first computer that was mine has a 40... FOURTY MEGABYTE computer. I have PHONE APPS that would fill that 5 times over! Sigh....

Lol that's cute. Many of us remember computers that didn't even have 64kb of memory. Let alone a Harddrive! The first computer that was mine has a 40... FOURTY MEGABYTE computer. I have PHONE APPS that would fill that 5 times over! Sigh....

Yeah I realize I was late to the party compared to most folks, but my family couldn't afford a computer that far back. :/

Yeah I realize I was late to the party compared to most folks, but my family couldn't afford a computer that far back. :/
Nothing wrong with it. Different generations man. When I got into computers it was juuust before games like Doom became a thing. It was still Spear of Destiny, and Apache flight sim's. Oh and Mechwarrior in CGA.

Become a Patron!
Back