8K TVs Are Failing to Appeal to Consumers: Omdia

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Consumers are perfectly happy with their 4K televisions and have very little interest in stepping up to displays capable of 8K resolution, according to the latest research from analyst and consultancy firm Omdia.

Go to post

Oh my, you don't say! How can this be?! I am utterly shocked, just absolutely stunned! With the extreme affordability of 8K sets, the rampant availability of 8K video content, and the fact that 8K is not very demanding for today's GPUs (which are both cheap and plentiful) to render graphics at, I would have thought that people were scrambling all over each other to purchase 8K HDTVs!!! 4K is such an extremely low resolution, how can people be satisfied with that? Might as well be rockin' 640x480 at that point.

Even with content available theres too many ISPs with data caps for it to work. Also wonder how much bandwidth would be needed.

Probably need at a minimum 200 megabit just to feed an 8k signal well with audio included. Plus the TV capable of rendering that kind of streaming content will be super expensive too.

And to be very real on my 55 inch TV in my livingroom that is 4k. I can rarely tell the difference between native 4k and 1080p. Other than 1080p being more... blotchy in background content. And thst isn't even the right word.

Well, I'm a tech junkie and I feel like all new horizon tech (not so new but...) should never go ignored due to current-gen trends.

Remember, nay-sayers had complained about 4K rez and its lack of content too years ago as well.

8K+ cinema cameras (and the majority of the latest films are recorded in 8K+) exist today, improved compression also exists, etc., and the only thing that is stopping 8K growth is greed (like always in the beginning) and extremely poor marketing.

But 8K is the future, it is what it is.

Well, I'm a tech junkie and I feel like all new horizon tech (not so new but...) should never go ignored due to current-gen trends.

Remember, nay-sayers had complained about 4K rez and its lack of content too years ago as well.

8K+ cinema cameras (and the majority of the latest films are recorded in 8K+) exist today, improved compression also exists, etc., and the only thing that is stopping 8K growth is greed (like always in the beginning) and extremely poor marketing.

But 8K is the future, it is what it is.
I figure if a 48MP camera isn't big enough for consumers, 8K TV isn't enough either.

We learned from the megapixel wars that camera shopping was as simple as sorting by MP and choosing the biggest number. /s

The extra-crispy fonts look pretty good on my 32" 64K desktop monitor though.

8K and lord knows how many versions of HDR or whatever succeeds it. I'll pass, for now. Plenty happy with 4K for the moment. I'm more interested in less compression and better encoding than finding more ways to throw pixels around. I'm willing to compromise with DLSS in gaming but not so much for watching media and these days we're already being increasingly locked into streaming with fewer physical media options. Even then, you never know until you read the reviews or drop the $$$ on something if it's been mastered and released properly.

Become a Patron!
Back