Acer Releases Predator CG437K P: 4K, 144 Hz in a Massive 43-Inch Screen

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Acer wants you to throw away your puny 27" and 32" monitors. The company has begun selling its Predator CG437K P, a 43-inch LFGD (large format gaming display) that delivers 4K resolution and refresh rates of up to 144 Hz. The "monitor" is both AdaptiveSync and NVIDIA G-Sync compatible.

“The Predator CG437K P provides a larger playing field for enjoying the latest titles,” said Ronald Lau, Acer America director – stationary computing. “A blend of many of the most desired visual technologies available today, this new monitor delivers performance that will thrill even the most demanding PC and console gamers.”

I don't see the point in these displays, unless you are using them from across the room.

Yikes.
Makes my Surround setup look ****ty.

I don't see the point in these displays, unless you are using them from across the room.

This statement literally makes no sense. The whole reason to get a bigger screen is for it to fill up more of your peripheral vision. If you sit further and further away from it, you might as well be using a smaller display. There is a point where a display is too big up close, but that's going to require a display that you have to turn your head to take in or something along those lines.

This statement literally makes no sense. The whole reason to get a bigger screen is for it to fill up more of your peripheral vision. If you sit further and further away from it, you might as well be using a smaller display. There is a point where a display is too big up close, but that's going to require a display that you have to turn your head to take in or something along those lines.

I sit 18"s from my 27" display. Your eyes can only focus on, what, a 3"x3" square at any given time. And when I look as far left or right, without moving my head, I might over shoot my monitor by about 4-5". So, maybe a 32" would be "ideal". Otherwise, it's wasted screen space you'll never truly appreciate while gaming without having to move your head all over to look at. Or you sit further away thus negating the larger size. I suppose if you want it there for peripheral movement. I don't know. Just doesn't make sense. To me.

This is why pro's use 24" displays.

I sit 18"s from my 27" display. Your eyes can only focus on, what, a 3"x3" square at any given time. And when I look as far left or right, without moving my head, I might over shoot my monitor by about 4-5". So, maybe a 32" would be "ideal". Otherwise, it's wasted screen space you'll never truly appreciate while gaming without having to move your head all over to look at. Or you sit further away thus negating the larger size. I suppose if you want it there for peripheral movement. I don't know. Just doesn't make sense. To me.

Pros use 24" displays because that's typically what's available at 1080P and upwards of 240Hz.

I don't have great eyes and can see everything on a larger monitor than 32" without issue. I think that's a decent size, but you can't convince me that its wasted space or useless for gaming. I've used a 48" for 3 years without issue and this 34" I've got now could be bigger as far as I'm concerned. I think going over 40" can be a problem for productivity with my eyesight as I had to move my heat too much or adjust my seating position for the upper corners at 48". For games, it was great. I only downsized for the higher refresh rates and G-Sync.

I think that was worth the trade off but in general I think bigger is usually better with displays and 32" isn't the limit of what's useful or even optimal.

Personal preference. Sitting at a desk 32” is a bit too big for me to use comfortably. I like 24-28”.

to each their own

I had to cut myself off from buy displays for a little while because as I found out about new features I wanted I'd pick one up about once a year. The mixed blessing is that over the last 5-10 years I've accumulated a plethora of varying designs and sizes. Many that I'm not listing here. My daily runner is a 27" and I sit about the same distance(18") and I'd say that 27" works great then. Problem is after a while I hate feeling like I'm hovering over the desk or having my face so close to the screen that I can feel the heat coming from it.

In the cave I expanded to a 31.5" 4k a couple of years back and that was nice for a while too. Still use it for media management with my laptop. As t.v.'s improved I got a 55" and then 65". The 65" is now the primary display for my 4k gaming and I can really enjoy sitting about 6 feet back on a couch with the peripheral vision feeling the same as when I was right on top of the 27". I can honestly say it's an awesome experience. Very VR like. Friends and family often comment how it almost seems like 3d with the clarity and IQ combined with the right sitting distance.

Bottom line though is that size often depends on how and where you're going to use it. These 43" monitors would be great for someone sitting around 3-4 feet from their screen in my estimation.

I had to cut myself off from buy displays for a little while because as I found out about new features I wanted I'd pick one up about once a year. The mixed blessing is that over the last 5-10 years I've accumulated a plethora of varying designs and sizes. Many that I'm not listing here. My daily runner is a 27" and I sit about the same distance(18") and I'd say that 27" works great then. Problem is after a while I hate feeling like I'm hovering over the desk or having my face so close to the screen that I can feel the heat coming from it.

In the cave I expanded to a 31.5" 4k a couple of years back and that was nice for a while too. Still use it for media management with my laptop. As t.v.'s improved I got a 55" and then 65". The 65" is now the primary display for my 4k gaming and I can really enjoy sitting about 6 feet back on a couch with the peripheral vision feeling the same as when I was right on top of the 27". I can honestly say it's an awesome experience. Very VR like. Friends and family often comment how it almost seems like 3d with the clarity and IQ combined with the right sitting distance.

Bottom line though is that size often depends on how and where you're going to use it. These 43" monitors would be great for someone sitting around 3-4 feet from their screen in my estimation.

And that was my point. The larger the display the further away you need to sit for it to be useful. If you're putting your monitor on a normal desk, like most people, it's going to be 18-24" away from you. A 43" display 24" from my face and I'll need to move my head a lot to make use of it.

For productivity, hell yeah I'll take a larger display. All day.

Become a Patron!
Back