Acer Says Its Predator PowerGem Thermal Pad Boosts CPU Performance by over 12%

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Acer has unveiled a new thermal pad for cooling CPUs called the Predator PowerGem, which can supposedly conduct heat nearly four times faster than copper. The result is an increase in power envelope over 77% and improved CPU performance of up to 12.5%.

Whether the TIM/pad will be sold in the DIY market is unknown. Acer did tease PowerGem for its upcoming Helios laptop and Orion desktop systems, however.

Outside of the increased heat conductivity, it is expected this could reduce the size of heatsinks/vapor chambers inside of laptops allowing for higher performing and potentially thinner and lighter devices. Acer plans to use the PowerGem in the new versions of its Helios 700 series laptops and Orion 9000 desktops.

Great now we've moved on to 90% pure silver plates for better heat conductivity. And they market it as a Gem. Maybe it has some Carbon Nanotubes to transmit heat as well. (yes that is snark.)

I have a feeling this 'Gem' is going to cost a 'Mint'.

So they claimed their thermal pad is much more effect than TIM but now only available for their laptops and desktops. So to test their claim, I have to buy their laptop or desktop. Seems legit. /s

The problem with all of these "awesome" thermal pads is that they are all too thick. Thermal paste might be worse in terms of heat conductivity, but most of it gets pushed out or into a tiny layer and copper/nickel conduct way better than any of these thermal pads/pastes.

The problem with all of these "awesome" thermal pads is that they are all too thick. Thermal paste might be worse in terms of heat conductivity, but most of it gets pushed out or into a tiny layer and copper/nickel conduct way better than any of these thermal pads/pastes.

Facts don't matter when you are marketing.

I would be interested in testing these pads out..

I got some cheapo thermal pad sheets off of ebay and tried them ... put them in an older Core2 Quad setup and was wondering why the cpu fan was sooooo loud .. checked temps and was pushing high 70's Celsius .. removed the pad and put some Artic Silver on there and now hovering mid 30's.

Crap thermal pad I know, but 40'c difference?! holy macaroni! :poop:

Become a Patron!
Back