Adata Teases XPG Gaming Mouse with 1 TB of Solid State Memory

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
adata-xpg-vault-mouse-with-1-tb-solid-state-memory-sideways-yellow-bg-1024x576.jpg
Image: Adata

Adata is planning to release a very unique mouse as part of its upcoming lineup of ALPHA series gaming mice.

As revealed in a press release teasing its CES 2022 lineup, the XPG VAULT is a wired USB-C mouse that integrates up to 1 TB of solid state memory. Running at 985 MB/s, the built-in SSD will presumably allow users to store all kinds of content, including larger PC titles.

“XPG will […] let visitors have a peek at its latest concept product called XPG VAULT, a wired USB-C mouse that wants to be ‘your gaming library, in the palm of your hand,'” wrote Adata.

“Current prototype can integrate up to 1TB of Solid State memory running at 985MB/s and a Gaming Launcher software that promises to make your gaming libraries conveniently portable and a higher level of game integration with XPG Prime Software...

Continue reading...

Next up. m.2 slots under your keyboard for additional storage.

You jest, but at least it would be easy enough to access.

I don't really know why I would need a mouse with a built in SSD... but I guess if I were a pro player or something and didn't want to carry a mouse AND a flash drive around..... meh that's really lazy.

I seem to recall a long time ago a mouse with an sd card reader built in. Let me see if I can find it....

edit - found one of them. On Amazon, actually, but an old page and no longer available.

and here's a rando generic one...

So someone(s) have had storage in a mouse on the brain for a while now apparently.

Last edited:
That.... isn't a horrible idea.

You know, the more I thought about it after posting it I concur.

I'd love to have multiple m.2 slots under my keyboard. I have spare m.2 drives laying around here now that I could easily use them, but I don't care to take apart my PC to install them. Taking a back cover off a keyboard, on the other hand, they'd be in use right now!

I can't help but find this rather ridiculous. Why 2-in-1 something can get a mediocre version of each, when you can buy them separately and get each best in class?

I can't help but find this rather ridiculous. Why 2-in-1 something can get a mediocre version of each, when you can buy them separately and get each best in class?

You can pretty much ask that question about anything that's 2 in 1 or any other multi-role gadget or gizmo.

I'm thinking: 1TB is a... modest collection of games. So, portable library?

Think less home user and more eSports arena frequenter.

Also wondering what would stop someone from booting an OS off one of these? Windows would get all out of sorts used so promiscuously, but the future Arch-based SteamOS should handle it just fine I'd think.

Yea who wants a phone and web browser all in one. Or the ability to watch videos on a portable device that you can answer calls on. Or why have speakers in a phone when you can get a better speakerphone experience out of a hard wired purpose built speakerphone.

Devices that fill multiple roles are just dumbing down the experience for the average user.. right?

Or maybe the processing power and connectivity available to a USB 4.0 connected device makes having ONLY a mouse on the end of a port a waste of a port?

Yea who wants a phone and web browser all in one. Or the ability to watch videos on a portable device that you can answer calls on. Or why have speakers in a phone when you can get a better speakerphone experience out of a hard wired purpose built speakerphone.

Devices that fill multiple roles are just dumbing down the experience for the average user.. right?

Or maybe the processing power and connectivity available to a USB 4.0 connected device makes having ONLY a mouse on the end of a port a waste of a port?
And watching videos and browsing the web on a phone is actually terrible.
WTF would you use a tiny touchscreen instead of a proper desktop?

Sure on the road to check traffic or schedules, or prices at the mall, it's good to have a web browser on your phone, but it's not a replacement for a desktop computer.

Mice wear out, I replace them every 2-3 years, having a built in SSD in it is a waste. I'd rather have an 1TB SSD separately from it.

Also a mouse is preferably cordless so I don't have to drag a cable with it.

This is like having a shower in your car. Separately both are good things, but who would want to have a shower in their car? Same, who would want to drag their mouse around disabling input to one computer while they move data?

Sure on the road to check traffic or schedules, or prices at the mall, it's good to have a web browser on your phone, but it's not a replacement for a desktop computer.

Mice wear out, I replace them every 2-3 years, having a built in SSD in it is a waste. I'd rather have an 1TB SSD separately from it.

This is like having a shower in your car. Separately both are good things, but who would want to have a shower in their car? Same, who would want to drag their mouse around disabling input to one computer while they move data?
You might have more luck with your mice if you used a corded version. I just replaced my 2007 Diamond Razorback this week - that Razorback replaced my old Logitech mouse where the left mouse button stopped working from playing Diablo ii. The Razorback left mouse button stopped working due to playing Diablo 2 Resurrected. I expect the new Logitech to work until probably 2040 when Diablo 2 ReResurrected comes out :D.

Beyond that, I agree with your post. I have the phone as an option when I’m stuck with no other option, like in a doctors waiting room, but even in the car I’ve got Car Play, and at home I’ve got my 5950 or home theater.

This 100%. I barely do sh1t on my phone cuz doing anything on a phone f*cking sucks. When I'm in my house, I use a desktop PC. I only use a phone for something I could normally do on a PC when I have absolutely no choice, and don't even have a secondary PC like a laptop around. I can barely stand using laptops (especially their keyboards) as it is. Using a web browser or app on a phone is basically emergency/away-from-home backup.

I was also one of those people who felt that video game consoles were for playing games, not watching Netflix, using a web browser, or listening to music. That said, years ago when I was at a friend's house fixing his PC, and I didn't have a laptop, we used his PS3 with mouse and keyboard to browse the web and download drivers and utilities, research sh1t and get troubleshooting info. I had a friend that back in the early 2000s, a Dreamcast was his only way to browse the web. I have a friend now who barely uses his laptop, he mainly uses his XB1 (then XB1X then XBSX) for everything that people normally do on PCs or phones these days.

This is like having a shower in your car. Separately both are good things, but who would want to have a shower in their car?
If you got one of those mobile homes with a toilet and a shower (and a bed), that can be real dang handy when you're traveling. I don't speak from personal experience though. I'm not a big traveling guy. If it takes longer than 2-3 hours to get to, that's too far for me. 5 hours to go from one side of North America to the other in a plane? That sh1t is painful. SR-71 can do that in about an hour, when can we get commercial flights like that?

I have the phone as an option when I’m stuck with no other option, like in a doctors waiting room...
Yeah, exactly, this kind of stuff.

That did get me thinking. Even with USB 3.X that we got now, it does seem kinda like a waste of a port to only have a mouse or a keyboard connected to it, if I think about it.

I'm thinking: 1TB is a... modest collection of games. So, portable library?
Hhhmmm, interesting...

Also wondering what would stop someone from booting an OS off one of these? Windows would get all out of sorts used so promiscuously, but the future Arch-based SteamOS should handle it just fine I'd think.
Ah yes, not just for a portable games library, but also as an OS boot drive. Huh, the more this gets discussed, the more I'm like "well actually this might NOT be such a wacky idea."

Could be very expensive if you rage and throw that mouse across the room.
I once gave a friend a limited edition silver X360 controller (the one with the DPad you could rotate) for his berfday. One day he was playing a game on X360, and something happened that really pissed him off, and he spiked the controller into the floor, which then bounced up and smashed the panel in his HDTV. So he lost both the controller and his TV. I wasn't there when this happened, I arrived for the aftermath. Still trying to figure out how that happened.

Also once had a co-worker who would experience rage episodes where he would repeatedly slam the mouse into the table surface. Unsurprisingly, he lost a 3DS to his rage. A friend of ours who repairs consoles was like "what in the F*CK did you do to this thing?!"

Then don't do that :p Behave like an adult!
Even as a child I couldn't understand people throwing controllers and sh1t. I was always real careful with all my electronic stuff.

Even as a child I couldn't understand people throwing controllers and sh1t. I was always real careful with all my electronic stuff.

I guess my take is, you might expect a raging temper-tantrum from a freaking 5 year old, but if you are still doing that by the time you are 12, there are some serious underlying mental issues that need to be worked out.

I'm with you on this. I mean, my mice tend to last 5+ years, but theys till wear out, and it would be a shame to have to dispose of something tied to it when it does...

I know today's wireless mice are better than in the past, but I still want absolutely nothing to do with anything wireless.

If it can be wired, I wire it. If it cant, I try to use it as little as possible.

You might have more luck with your mice if you used a corded version. I just replaced my 2007 Diamond Razorback this week - that Razorback replaced my old Logitech mouse where the left mouse button stopped working from playing Diablo ii. The Razorback left mouse button stopped working due to playing Diablo 2 Resurrected. I expect the new Logitech to work until probably 2040 when Diablo 2 ReResurrected comes out :D.
Being corded doesn't really help with buttons failing or getting sticky. Buttons usually last even less than 2-3 years for me. On my Gigabyte M8600 that I used to have I replaced the switch twice or three times during it's life. On my G903 I had to replace the left click switch when it was less than 6 months old. Taking it apart and soldering in a new switch was already hard enough without having to worry about an integrated SSD.

Become a Patron!
Back