Ahsoka Draws 14 Million Views for First Episode on Disney+

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Lucasfilm and Disney have announced that the first episode of their new Star Wars show, Ahsoka, has drawn 14 million views since its premiere last week on Tuesday, August 22. This number would make the new show starring Rosario Dawson the most-watched title on Disney+ this week, according to a post on StarWars.com, although coverage from Deadline, which cites numbers from Samba TV, would suggest that this isn't that great when compared to other Star Wars shows that include Obi-Wan Kenobi and the third season of The Mandalorian. Ahsoka's early performance is being compared to that of Andor, a prequel to 2016's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story that premiered in September 2022.

See full article...

We watched EP3 last night. We're done and checking out. From absurd to offensive we're both pretty bothered by it. I try not to rant about this kind of stuff as I've grown up around friends who argue to no end about SW or ST but this one has pushed me over the edge.

If you have a Y chromosome then the only roles available in this show are incompetent, evil, or subservient. Absolutely nothing so far, beyond Clancy Brown's cameo, and the fighter pilot in Ep1 has proven otherwise. Additionally in EP3 the only character that comes close to otherwise being a positive role model is treated as a senile old man who minutes after I guessed it was TKO'd. I realize and fully agree about the inbalance in the industry going back over a century now but this is just a 180 role reversal which completely is repeating the same mistakes to another group. There is no balance which is ironically what has been an ongoing goal from the first movie. I fully agree we need diversity and inclusiveness but this is not that and again I have to reference ST Lower Decks, Strange New Worlds, and even The Mandalorian, all of which managed to achieve those goals without consistently throwing a specific group under the bus.

Sabine-Alright she's young and grieving over Ezra. I get it but this character came from a royal Mandalorian family who dealt with the clan wars, then fought the empire, and then she was in Rebels for 4 seasons, again fighting the empire, more clan war stuff, and if I remember correctly even had to deal with some bounty hunter stuff (I admit I can't remember if that's true but pretty sure it was), not to mention being shown as essentially growing up and maturing. Now all of a sudden, all of those life experiences have been jettisoned and she can't fly, shoot, or fight and stuck acting like a spoiled 13-year-old. The premise of her hiding out in Ep1 and getting ambushed is ludicrous as well. With her said experiences she would have easily had measures in place to warn her ahead of time. She may look older now but is being treated younger than any of the flashbacks in Rebels.

The fight scenes in Ep3 are just plain idiotic. Now it's a known joke in SW with stormtroopers being bad shots and a single rebel can take down an entire infantry but that had begun to change over the years. This week's episode has jettisoned that entire dynamic. Sure Ahsoka's ship's wings can rotate but you-know-for-what's sake why is it that roughly a half dozen or more ships, including the giant cruiser thing, can only aim at them? Seriously put 7 year-old behind a cannon and tell them, hey see the big circle that looks like a bullseye and is barely moving? Aim for that. Pretty sure that dogfight would've ended a whole lot more quickly, and Ahsoka's evasive maneuvers where anything but, other than spinning her wings. Speaking of the dog fight, that scene where Ahsoka goes outside the ship is equally bonkers (looked kind of cool) but if those Sith/bounty hunter pilots have the skills to fly head-on within feet/inches of her ship and not collide how is it that couldn't manage to actually damage it during the strafing runs?

To end my rant, the apprentice, Shin Hati, is sorely underused. Basically pout and pose in nearly every scene. Seems like this one was plucked straight out of the Twilight movies. My wife is beyond annoyed with her and Sabine, even before I said anything, and when I added my observations about the treatment of the male characters she instantly took notice and was equally disappointed. I feel sorry for the late RW, relegated to essentially being a bad Santa in a galaxy far, far, away.

I ran out of time before I had to run out the door but I did want to give it positive props for what we did like. We both love the visual designs and effects along with the music. These have all incorporated various details from all of the trilogies which is totally awesome.

I only believe statistics that I fabricated myself. I bet ol' Disney is using the Elon Musk twix measurement of views.

To end my rant, the apprentice, Shin Hati, is sorely underused. Basically pout and pose in nearly every scene. Seems like this one was plucked straight out of the Twilight movies. My wife is beyond annoyed with her and Sabine, even before I said anything, and when I added my observations about the treatment of the male characters she instantly took notice and was equally disappointed. I feel sorry for the late RW, relegated to essentially being a bad Santa in a galaxy far, far, away.
I've enjoyed it for what it is, but can see some of your points. These new series won't please everyone for sure, but you have to approach them with the right expectations, just like Marvel.

I've enjoyed it for what it is, but can see some of your points. These new series won't please everyone for sure, but you have to approach them with the right expectations, just like Marvel.
For sure. Speaking of Marvel, in particular Ms. Marvel, my wife loved that one and watched it twice. I saw a lot of the same things that bugged me with this in it as well but something about that show didn't rub me as wrong as this did. I can't quite explain it but I have been thinking about it. I know most folks hated that show but I did find some positives with it and really appreciated its insights into India's history, which I was not fully aware of beyond British occupation. I'm equally baffled by how many folks have bashed Nick Fury and I'd add it to the list of well-balanced, inclusive shows. The final fight was a bit nuts but overall I thought that show was a lot of fun. Who knows, this might be the incentive to get me to finally dig into Andor.

I just finished episode three. It feels like we didn't watch the same episode at all. My comment will have some spoilers.

1. In space the ship was hit repeatedly and consistently wether it be mounted weapons or ship to ship weapons.

2. The only time they were successfully evasive other than a brief stint in space was among the clouds and their oversized mobile enhabitants.

3. I didn't witness male pattern bumbukness other than a politician who didn't understand war or military presence objecting to actions he didn't get and suspecting the general of personal motivations.

Over all the episode was good and entertaining.

If I had a quibble it would be ashokas unshaken presence. She was trained by anikin and I always presumed she embraced a bit more of her emotions.

From a game mechanic perspective I get the sense that Asoka's ship is highly armored and very durable. Otherwise I would have expected the enemy fighters to blow the rotating wings to tiny bits Asoka on them or not.

And they made it clear the Skywalker bloodline had a very specific power unique in the force.

I was really hoping this was gonna be good and that Filoni would stay awake from all the woke but my God he's quadrupled down on it.

Woke girl bosses aside, why are they playing Ahsoka like that, to have zero personality. Every scene she's just standing there with her arms crossed like a robot. Rosario Dawson too good an actress to choose to portray her that way so it has to be the way she's written. It's 180 degrees out of phase work how Ahsoka is portrayed in cartoons.

Woke girl bosses aside, why are they playing Ahsoka like that, to have zero personality. Every scene she's just standing there with her arms crossed like a robot. Rosario Dawson too good an actress to choose to portray her that way so it has to be the way she's written. It's 180 degrees out of phase work how Ahsoka is portrayed in cartoons.
I mean I get it. Ashoka in cartoons was learning and young. Now she is older and wiser. In later cartoons she is more of a gray jedi and much more reserved and in control. And this is some time after all of that.

Become a Patron!
Back