Alienware’s 55″ OLED Gaming Monitor Sounds Like Vaporware

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Gamers seeking the best contrast ratios and black levels may have to settle for an LG OLED TV. That's because Alienware has no idea whether the 55" OLED gaming monitor it teased during CES will ever be sold to consumers.

Wccftech touched base with one of the company's executives during E3 and learned that it was merely a "conceptual product." Apparently, they're not sure if anyone will buy the display, which is a possibility based on the alleged $3K price.

As it turns out, we did learn something new, though it’s not exactly the kind of good news we were hoping to relay. In fact, the Alienware executive on hand explained this was still a ‘conceptual product’ that may never be released after all, as its potential commercial viability is still in question. This was a bit disheartening to hear, as the OLED gaming monitor would be able to fill a niche for those PC gamers looking for a big display to go with their high-end rigs.

Having the DisplayPort would mean potentially enabling G-Sync compatibility, which is otherwise (and sadly, I might add) unavailable over HDMI for the time being. As it is, PC gamers have to choose between the gorgeous image quality of an OLED panel and the undeniably smooth, tear-free gameplay provided by VRR technology.

Alienware says they'll have more to share at next year's CES, assuming the display hasn't been officially canned by then.

lol.

The Alienware OLED needed to be everything, and as good at HDR as OLEDs do SDR.
But OLEDs cant even do 400nits without excessive dimming, so they use a white OLED to boost to 600nits.
However the colour quality is diminished and being a PC display is a worst case scenario for OLEDs.
I suppose they didnt work out how to keep the brightness and quality up without suffering burn in. I expect even with the white OLED they still had burn in issues.
Also, the projected 600nits with low colour quality is not a patch on the 2000 to 4000nit displays with very high colour volume.
It was never to be, micro LED will supersede OLED imo.

Don't forget the heat!

I still deal with the heat. My 2x 30" Dell 3007WFP-HC's put off a crap ton of heat. I have those on the test bench. When I've got two machines going on the test bench, my work laptop and my gaming rig, things can get pretty warm in my office.

I still deal with the heat. My 2x 30" Dell 3007WFP-HC's put off a crap ton of heat. I have those on the test bench. When I've got two machines going on the test bench, my work laptop and my gaming rig, things can get pretty warm in my office.

I remember when I was in high school- I had a Gateway VX900 monitor before I bought my first LCD panel, an NEC Multisync 1280x1024, can't remember the model. I would be playing BF1942 or UT2k3 on the Athlon XP 2200+ and 9700 Pro. My bedroom would heat up so damned fast! It would get 90+ in there in less than an hour during the winter with the HVAC vent closed and my window cracked.

My office heats up pretty quick nowadays, and the room is larger. Diablo 3 doesn't heat it up too bad, but it warms up very quickly when playing Destiny 2

If it does make it to market (still not sold on this happening) it will be interesting to see what it is capable of without damage.
This will define whether OLED can compete at the high end.
If it doesnt pull this off with aplomb, I see trouble.

Become a Patron!
Back