All Three iPhones Coming in 2020 Will Reportedly Support 5G

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has told investors that all three iPhone models slated for release next year will support 5G. The cheapest model wasn't supposed to get that privilege, but Apple has changed its mind to better compete with lower-cost 5G Android smartphones.

Both mmWave and Sub-6 GHz spectrum should be supported. The former is the faster version of 5G exclusive to denser urban areas, while the latter is reserved for rural and suburban locales. While Sub-6 GHz doesn't beat mmWave, it is certainly faster than 4G.

Along with 5G technology, the 2020 iPhones could be available in new sizes. In a previous note, Kuo said that Apple is going to release 5.4 and 6.7-inch high-end iPhones with OLED displays along with a 6.1-inch model with an OLED display.

Not sure I believe this. Apple is usually the last to get on board with a new protocol.

That is of little practical value outside of marketing. 5G is all hype, no substance. It will only be a marginal improvement over 4G, despite what the industry wants you to believe. 5G is a farce. Pretty soon the hype machine house of cards will all come crashing down and some large telecom operators are going to be hurting.

The problem is that there are two main frequency ranges.

Range 1:
Operates in the same frequency ranges as current cell/mobile frequencies. Performance increases over 4G LTE+ are small. 15-50% at most, probably closer to the lower end of that.

Range 2:
This is where the real 40Gbit 5G speed claims come in. Problem is we are talking millimeter wave frequencies, 24-86 GHz. Two things happen as you raise the frequency. You get shorter range capability, and you are less able to penetrate objects. At the frequencies 5G intends to use, we will be limited to about a 200 yard range, and it will require perfect line of sight. Hold even a sheet of paper in between and you lose signal. Essentially, it winds up being useless.

So, in other words, practical applications of 5G will essentially be 4G LTE Advanced bandwidth, +15%. That's it.

There are going to be some pretty pissed shareholders when everyone is done hyping up 5G and the truth comes out.

^^True, but they did just picked up Intel's 5G modem division, so they have everything they need to make this happen now.

I hate to think how far behind Qualcomm it was. Intel was never on the forefront, more like an acceptable substitute at best. And if it were competitive, I don't think Intel would have been so quick to sell it off.

Does anyone care? It’s just a way to reach your cap faster and LTE works great.

Does anyone care? It’s just a way to reach your cap faster and LTE works great.

Yes. People will see commercials telling them 5g is the fastest. And sinc ehtye are very important people who don't have time to understand this **** while waiting in line at walmart in their flip flops, they will need their phone to have the 5g because it is one more G and they need that. It's one G better after all and what use is a phone without all the Gs?

Yes. People will see commercials telling them 5g is the fastest. And sinc ehtye are very important people who don't have time to understand this **** while waiting in line at walmart in their flip flops, they will need their phone to have the 5g because it is one more G and they need that. It's one G better after all and what use is a phone without all the Gs?

Reminds me of that old Youtube video quote, "I want the one with the bigger GB's" (pronounced gee bee's)

Found it:

Become a Patron!
Back