Aluminum Capacitor Supply in Southeast Asia Disrupted by COVID

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
capacitors-computer-circuit-board-closeup-1024x576.jpg
Image: analogicus (Pixabay)

There’s a new type of shortage as the effects of the pandemic on the global supply chain rage on. Following major components such as semiconductors, silicon, and plastics, there is now an aluminum capacitor shortage. These passive components are found in nearly all electronic devices—from motherboards and power supplies to graphics cards, there is bound to be some on a PCB.

Factories in Malaysia locked down recently, and many are not back to full production. Two that are Japan-based, Chemi-Con and Nichicon, and another called Rubycon in Indonesia, closed in July and August. They represent over half of the world’s aluminum capacitor production. Only about 60 percent of their workforce has returned following the lockdown, causing orders to shift to suppliers in Taiwan and...

Continue reading...

I'm sure nvidia already has plenty of source for its super line of cards right? They stockpiled it... so there won't be a sharp decrease in projected availability right?

Man this makes some hardware orders we want to make as a company look REALLY risky. Sigh...

Dear lord why did you include that pic. Some people here have PTSD from that you know.

Bulging capacitors. Was a major issue in motherboards and GPUs from like 2000 to 2010.
For sure. I totally get it. Just wasn't sure if you meant the headaches from college textbooks. I still cringe from the onslaught of acronyms from mine. I also cringe every time my HVAC person goes on the roof to check the capacitors in our AC unit.

Become a Patron!
Back