Amazon and The Tolkien Estate Sued for Alleged Copyright Infringement in The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Demetrious Polychron, a Lord of the Rings fan fiction writer, has decided to sue the Tolkien Estate and The Rings of Power TV series creator Amazon for what he claims to be copyright infringement of his novel, The Fellowship of the King: The War of the Rings, Radar Online has learned. Court documents obtained by the publication can confirm that Polychron has filed a $250 million lawsuit against several Amazon Studio execs, J. R. R. Tolkien's estate, and even the former president and CEO of Amazon himself, Jeff Bezos, who is currently listed as being the third-wealthiest person in the world behind Bernard Arnault and Elon Musk. “These wholly original distinct and separate characters and storylines compose as much as one-half of the 8-episode series as released and published by Defendants. In many cases, Defendants copied exact language,” reads one portion of the suit, while another portion claims that "Defendants copied images that match the book cover and descriptions as created in the book as authored by Polychron." Polychron's book has a two-star rating on Amazon at the time of this posting following 12 reviews.

See full article...

Likely outcome is that he will lose and will make most fanfiction illegal.

Considering how horrible the series was and how much like terrible fanfic it was I wouldn't be surprised to find out something like this is true.

And poof, the link for the book on Amazon is gone now. :ROFLMAO:

Getting a copyright for fanfiction in itself seems a little bizarre and even then where exactly is the line regarding what was borrowed from the original books and what the estate can draw from his book since this book is using said content as a basis? If they (Amazon/estate) did use a significant amount of content verbatim from that book then sure perhaps some sort of compensation should've occurred, or at least some communication but I don't really know. This is a new twist that I don't remember seeing before but there's a chance this guy might have some ground to stand on with this case.

I can't say that I ever got into knowingly reading any fanfiction stuff but I used to be a huge fan of fan films back in the early 2000s. I still have a collection on DVD somewhere that was put together from the best-of-the-best.

These were two of my favorites from back then:

I can't say that I ever got into knowingly reading any fanfiction stuff but I used to be a huge fan of fan films back in the early 2000s. I still have a collection on DVD somewhere that was put together from the best-of-the-best.

These were two of my favorites from back then:
I remember Batman: Dead End!!!

Become a Patron!
Back