Amazon Unveils Astro, an Alexa-Powered Home Robot That Costs $1,450

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amazon-astro-with-blue-arrows-1024x576.jpg
Image: Amazon

Amazon today unveiled Astro, a cute household robot designed for home monitoring. Reminiscent of something out of a Pixar film and described by some as “Alexa on wheels,” Astro leverages Amazon’s latest advances in AI to autonomously guard a user’s home, showing live views of rooms, detecting unrecognized people, and more.

Astro’s standard cost is $1,449.99, but the robot will be available for an introductory price of $999.99 as part of a Day 1 Editions program. The first units will begin shipping to customers in the U.S. later this year.

From the Amazon Blog:

Astro is a new and different kind of robot, one that’s designed to help customers with a range of tasks like home monitoring and keeping in touch with family. It brings together new advancements in artificial intelligence, computer vision, sensor technology, and voice and edge computing...

Continue reading...

That's great for everyone with perfectly flat floors, no sunken rooms, or stairs. Otherwise it's kind of... neat but not for me.

So it can follow you into the bathroom, and wander around the house when your not at home?

Yeah, no. I'm mostly Sci-Fi BGS when it comes to 'smart/AI' stuff. Depending on our mood some crap gets turned off or unplugged at times. I try to keep a limit to how many things can watch or listen to us and the last f'in thing I need is a robot following me or my wife around the house suggesting what we need to order from Amazon. No thanks.

I could see this being kind of neat for like a day, then getting locked in a closet soon afterward.

That's cute you think it will work for outdoors use. ;) that thing has the same all terrain capability as one of those vibrating roach toys.
Naw, I thought of that, I have a concrete patio on the back plus some sidewalk in the front, plus our driveway. Not that I'd really do it but it could be funny to watch.

Naw, I thought of that, I have a concrete patio on the back plus some sidewalk in the front, plus our driveway. Not that I'd really do it but it could be funny to watch.
Little robot moves to chase cat. Neighbors Rotwiler gets confused and destroys robot. Everybody profits?

More robots are coming. Amazon is spearheading the real consumer robot space right now but more are coming. I would say in the next 5 years seeing businesses with robots doing work like security or patrols will be common place.

Little robot moves to chase cat. Neighbors Rotwiler gets confused and destroys robot. Everybody profits?

More robots are coming. Amazon is spearheading the real consumer robot space right now but more are coming. I would say in the next 5 years seeing businesses with robots doing work like security or patrols will be common place.
Yep, I know it. I think I did a story on Walmart stockers last year, or maybe considered doing it. I saw recently they were pulling those back for some reason but I've seen some of the other stories as well. Those robo-dogs with interchangeable accessories scare the beejeezus out of me though.

There's a video of them teaming to solve puzzles and open doors with each one having different parts for different tasks. The AI overlords are here!

Become a Patron!
Back