AMD’s Ryzen 9 3900XT Matisse Refresh Could See Base Clock Increases Along with Boost Clocks Up to 4.8 GHz

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
AMD-Ryzen-9-3rd-GEN-Processor-Box-1024x576.png
Image: AMD

Last week, rumors began to surface about AMD refreshing several of its Ryzen line of processors. With each day, more information is coming forth, adding to the likelihood of this happening. As with any rumor, these details should be taken with a grain of salt. They do seem plausible in the wake of Intel’s latest launch, but AMD has not issued any official statements yet. Recently, price drops for the 3900X have been seen in multiple places, which are often common before a refresh is released. The latest tidbit to hit the internet comes via the forums on the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if they are going to go extreme like Intel and do some die shaving to make it possible. I dont think thats the case but Im just throwing it out there as food for thought. Either way if its able to maintain like 4.5, 4.6 all core with a manual OC then I would jump all over it even though I told myself to wait until Zen 3.

I seriously doubt we'll see all core overclocks of 4.4GHz, much less 4.5GHz+ all core overclocks. Zen2 just isn't that efficient. As you increase clocks heat and power consumption skyrocket.

I think possibly the floor is higher for the silicon quality now but im not sure the ceiling is. Ive binned and built/resold several dozen ryzen 3000 systems from a half dozen 3950Xs to dozens of 3700Xs and 3600Xs.
The best ones all seem to clock about 4.5-4,6 GHz [at 1.32-1.35v]. The 6 core chiplets seem to clock the highest and produce the least amount of heat. My launch day 3950X is still the best overall chip ive come across [clocks to 4.5 at 1.3v]

I have a 3600X running 4.6 GHz at 1.4V since August of last year
i keep expecting it to die... but it power onwards haha. Been overvolting it purposely to test concerns of "degredation" but no such issues thus far
Here are some quotes from another guy

Zen2 clocking to the moon is a thing that exists, especially on golden samples.
Early chips were consistently worse - my 3600 can't go past 4.15 at 1.37v, the wood-tier 3700x I had was stuck at 4.15 at 1.32v

Meanwhile I hear of people buying new 3600's and getting 4.5 ghz at 1.35v :)
However, the further you stray from ~4.2 Ghz - the greater the requirements for crazy memory settings;
With this video (once again!) being a good demonstration of there being a hard wall around 4.5 Ghz with the current memory limitations (3733-3800 MT/s) and core<->IOD<->memory latency.

Zen2 clocking to the moon is a thing that exists, especially on golden samples.
Early chips were consistently worse - my 3600 can't go past 4.15 at 1.37v, the wood-tier 3700x I had was stuck at 4.15 at 1.32v
Yeah my 3700X hits 4.35 at 1.298 (lowest stable) and needs about 1.39 to hit 4.4 all core and the heat is something my Ncase and AIO cooler cant handle.

Become a Patron!
Back