AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su Appointed to Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST) by POTUS

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
lisa-su-chip-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

Dr. Lisa Su’s impressive resume just got even better. As announced by POTUS today, AMD’s president and CEO is now an official member of the Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST), a group that comprises the nation’s top scientists and technologists. Su will join other PCAST members in assisting the President and White House with crucial policy recommendations related to science, technology, and innovation.

It’s no surprise that Su was chosen. As noted in her official bio on the White House site, Su is an expert engineer who contributed nicely to the semiconductor industry by presenting new ways to greatly speed up chips. Su is also a member of the U.S. National Academy of Engineering, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and an IEEE Fellow.

Honored to be named to the U.S. President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST) to work with an...

Continue reading...

I was under the impression that ceos are more knowledgable in the business side of things than the actual technical details. A technical advisor should probably be the chief engineer of AMD, not the business leader.

I was under the impression that ceos are more knowledgable in the business side of things than the actual technical details. A technical advisor should probably be the chief engineer of AMD, not the business leader.
I think GM and other US manufacturers would disagree. Once they re established leadership that was engineering focused the quality of the vehicles and the 'life' of the vehicles they produced took a sharp change for the positive.

I would venture to say that you need engineering leaders in leadership positions. Because marketing leadership doesn't know **** about engineering. This go's on to further explain why and how AMD has turned the ship around so well under her direction.

She has a BS, MS, and PhD in electrical engineering from MIT. I think she likely understands the technical details just fine.

I think it takes all kinds. You can't just be narrowly focused and make it as a publicly traded company.

You can have a CEO that is from a financial background lead a technical company just fine - so long as they have a strong CTO and others to back them up. Vice versa - you can have a strong technical person lead a financial firm just fine, so long as they have a strong CFO and others to back them up.

It takes all kinds of mixed talents to keep the boat going in the right direction. What the person has at the helm isn't so important as the team they build around them - and that "leadership" quality is fairly cross-disciplinary and hard to teach.

I think it takes all kinds. You can't just be narrowly focused and make it as a publicly traded company.

You can have a CEO that is from a financial background lead a technical company just fine - so long as they have a strong CTO and others to back them up. Vice versa - you can have a strong technical person lead a financial firm just fine, so long as they have a strong CFO and others to back them up.

It takes all kinds of mixed talents to keep the boat going in the right direction. What the person has at the helm isn't so important as the team they build around them - and that "leadership" quality is fairly cross-disciplinary and hard to teach.
That was my point. That you don't need a leader as a technical advisor. I know leaders who have half a dozen technical degrees, and they are still useless as engineers. I don't know her background and if she ever worked in the trenches as an actual technical engineer, or was always more on the leadership side. I'd wager this is more of a nod, or recognition than an actual role where she will actively work to advise.

That was my point. That you don't need a leader as a technical advisor. I know leaders who have half a dozen technical degrees, and they are still useless as engineers. I don't know her background and if she ever worked in the trenches as an actual technical engineer, or was always more on the leadership side. I'd wager this is more of a nod, or recognition than an actual role where she will actively work to advise.
Here you go:

Maybe it's because I like what she has accomplished or some tiny bit of fanboy nonsense but I honestly believe that you are just wrong here. But to each their own.

Become a Patron!
Back