AMD Changes their mind! 400 Series Motherboards will support Zen3!

Space_Ranger

Semi-regular
Just got done watching the following video from Hardware Unboxed:

I will get one more generation of usage out of my X470 motherboards.. I'm happy about this, and I feel that my $250 purchase of the ASUS Crosshair VII will be worth it afterall!

I havent watched the video. But I bought an x470 board off KB that he used for a review. Best buy I've made in a while.

Evidently, this decision was more about UEFI BIOS ROM space than the range of VRM implementations of the various X470 and B450 motherboards.

This is a surprising move from AMD. Honestly, good on them for correcting this.

This is a surprising move from AMD. Honestly, good on them for correcting this.

Aside from making the microcode available to the OEMs, it really isn't up to them at this point. It's up to motherboard manufacturers to implement it. What sucks is you'll potentially have to switch between different BIOS ROM versions just to support certain CPU's. This is of course problematic for motherboards without the ability to flash without an installed CPU.

Aside from making the microcode available to the OEMs, it really isn't up to them at this point. It's up to motherboard manufacturers to implement it. What sucks is you'll potentially have to switch between different BIOS ROM versions just to support certain CPU's. This is of course problematic for motherboards without the ability to flash without an installed CPU.
At this point sure, but AMD did their part at this point. The Microcode is a big deal it isnt some minor thing they handed over. They gave them a green light.

Become a Patron!
Back