AMD Continues to Lose Graphics Card Market Share to NVIDIA

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-key-visual-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

Jon Peddie Research has released a new report that provides the latest insight on the current state of the graphics card market. Things don’t seem to be looking too hot for AMD.

According to the report, AMD’s GPU market share has been on a noticeable decline. Overall Radeon ownership fell to 17 percent in the second quarter of 2021, down from 19 percent in the previous quarter and 20 percent from the same quarter a year ago.

It’s the opposite for NVIDIA. The popularity and market share of green team’s graphics cards have gone from 80 percent in Q2 2020 to 81 percent and 83 percent in Q1 2021 and Q2 2021, respectively.

“AMD’s overall market share percentage from last quarter decreased by -0.2 percent, Intel’s market share increased 0.1 percent, and NVIDIA’s market share increased 0.06 percent,” Jon Peddie explained, pointing to the data in...

Continue reading...

Hard to gain marketshare if you aren't making the chips to put in cards.

Exactly. The fact that the Steam Hardware Survey shows more RTX 3090 cards than the entire Radeon 6000 series combined isn't because the 6000 series sucks. It's because they are incredibly hard to get ahold of.

Exactly. The fact that the Steam Hardware Survey shows more RTX 3090 cards than the entire Radeon 6000 series combined isn't because the 6000 series sucks. It's because they are incredibly hard to get ahold of.

My local MicroCenter has some 6800 XT's and 6900 XT's in stock, but you wouldn't believe what they are asking for them.

The 6900 XT performs below a 3080, but they are asking more than the cost of a 3080Ti.

More than likely this is due to them not having the same pull with TSMC and thus getting fewer chips manufactured, but the outcome is that it is difficult to picture someone buying a 6xxx series Radeon compared to a 3xxx series GeForce unless it is for sentimental/fanboy reasons.

If I were willing to pay the price, I could have a 6800 XT or 6900 XT today, but it just isn't worth it. If I'm going to pay $1800 I'm going to get the best.

I paid $800 for my RTX 3080 from the EVGA que.

$1800 seems a bit steep yeah.

I got my RTX 3080 for 849€ orso in November last year, that's around the price they ask for a 6700XT here or 1300€ for a 6800XT, so yeah shops have stock and silly prices so they don't sell as fast anymore, RTX cards also have stupid prices.

Tried earlier this week on the AMD site, at first I was in the queue at 4mins and change wich quickly changed to 1+ hour and after about 20 min the queue was on hold so nada, niente nothing as usual.

My local MicroCenter has some 6800 XT's and 6900 XT's in stock, but you wouldn't believe what they are asking for them.

The 6900 XT performs below a 3080, but they are asking more than the cost of a 3080Ti.

More than likely this is due to them not having the same pull with TSMC and thus getting fewer chips manufactured, but the outcome is that it is difficult to picture someone buying a 6xxx series Radeon compared to a 3xxx series GeForce unless it is for sentimental/fanboy reasons.

If I were willing to pay the price, I could have a 6800 XT or 6900 XT today, but it just isn't worth it. If I'm going to pay $1800 I'm going to get the best.
You could also have a 6700XT or a 6600XT based on inventory this morning at my local microcenter.

I almost agree that I would go get the best for 1800, but where can I go to geta 3080ti or 3090 for 1800? I haven’t seen a 3080ti in stock ever, and last time I saw a 3090 it was a SUPRIM for 2200.

Yep... Would love to buy a new AMD card, but I can't find them in stock. And the times I do find them in stock, they're so ridiculously overpriced it's simply not worth it. My Vega 56 will need to hold out for a bit longer...

Overpriced, underserved, concentrated, just straight up distorted.. the gpu market is a mess.

My point exactly. I've often seen 6900XT's priced close to $2,500, which makes absolutely no sense. It's hard enough to justify that card at MSRP.

I'd buy a 6900XT at MSRP if one existed.

If all the cards cost what they were supposed to, I wouldn't. I'd either go with an RTX 3080 which is cheaper and offers similar performance or an RTX 3080 Ti which is more, but offers better performance. Either kicks its *** when using ray tracing.

Nvidia has been offering more for your money for a while now.

It's easy to belittle their drive to innovate as marketing fluff or whatever but reality is they are ahead of AMD and probably will be for quite a while.

As Dan suggests, at MSRP there is no reason to go AMD.

If all the cards cost what they were supposed to, I wouldn't. I'd either go with an RTX 3080 which is cheaper and offers similar performance or an RTX 3080 Ti which is more, but offers better performance. Either kicks its *** when using ray tracing.
Agreed - in that world. In the real world I have a 6700XT because even filing out every new egg shuffle for months, being in the EVGA queues, and showing up at microcenter at 4am 4 days / week for 2 weeks straight I couldn’t land a NVidia card. The real NVidia discussion shouldnt be about pretend MSRP, but be around what has been effectively a year long paper launch.

The real NVidia discussion shouldnt be about pretend MSRP, but be around what has been effectively a year long paper launch.
Is it a paper launch if demand drastically exceeds supply, yet it's obvious that there is supply because people are actually getting them?

Markets seem to have found a price where people won't actually buy up all of the AMD cards, but haven't seemed to find a similar price for Nvidia cards yet. That points to a difference in demand.

A bit related.....?

I don't think so. I mean, it will have an impact on pricing moving forward, but everyone is using every bit of the capacity they have now, and the cost going up I don't think will make many back out. The price increase is more I think because TSMC realizes they can and a lot of their contracts for capacity are likely popping up for renewal as new process nodes and increases capacity come online.

I think AMD's problems mostly stem from the fact that their allocation is being split 3 ways - CPUs, SOCs, and GPUs. They have a contractual number of SOCs they have to provide out of that, from there CPUs net them the best margin per mm2 (smaller chiplets, can get more per wafer), and those big GPU dies only get some token small amount of whatever is left over.

Is it a paper launch if demand drastically exceeds supply, yet it's obvious that there is supply because people are actually getting them?

Markets seem to have found a price where people won't actually buy up all of the AMD cards, but haven't seemed to find a similar price for Nvidia cards yet. That points to a difference in demand.
Do you remember launch where there were supposedly less than 1000 cards for North America? It would be one thing if they had launched with 25k cards and ran out due to demand, but they never released enough cards to not make it scalpers paradise.

Do you remember launch where there were supposedly less than 1000 cards for North America? It would be one thing if they had launched with 25k cards and ran out due to demand, but they never released enough cards to not make it scalpers paradise.
But just putting two and two together - the presence of AMD cards for sale while Nvidia cards are more represented on the Steam survey - leads me to believe that the difference in demand eclipsed any difference in availability.

Beyond that, aren't AMD cards still preferred by miners that use GPUs?

It's clearly not a one-dimensional issue. The surprisingly excessive retail pricing for AMD cards fits the pattern of miners driving up the price, while Nvidia's cards are more sought-after for gamers.

Nvidia has been offering more for your money for a while now.

It's easy to belittle their drive to innovate as marketing fluff or whatever but reality is they are ahead of AMD and probably will be for quite a while.

As Dan suggests, at MSRP there is no reason to go AMD.

Well, if everything were at MSRP I agree.

If I could get a 6900XT at MSRP and everything else is still crazy priced, I might be tempted to strike.

Become a Patron!
Back