AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution Reportedly Launching in June to Compete against NVIDIA DLSS

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-radeon-rx-6000-series-rdna-2-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR), red team’s answer to NVIDIA’s deep learning super sampling (DLSS) upscaling technology, is reportedly launching next month. This is according to a new video shared by hardware leaker and YouTuber Coreteks, who claims that the technology will be unveiled in June and is already in the hands of select developers. AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution is also said to leverage algorithmic super sampling that upscales with minimal overhead and requires minimal intervention from developers.

It uses an algorithm that does not require proprietary hardware to run. It’s a software...

Continue reading...

So in June 2021 + three years, it'll be as good as DLSS is today... yay?

That's actually pretty cool. Will be interesting. If I can get a good 15-20% improvement on frame rate while maintaining quality or a nearly non discernable change in quality I'll be happy.

So in June 2021 + three years, it'll be as good as DLSS is today... yay?
No, it will be as good as DLSS was back then 😉 😉

Joke aside rumors are all over the place on performance/quality. Since nvidia has been touting its DLSS performance mode more recently, I figure that's where SuperResolution will fall.

There have been companies working on upscaling video at least since the advent of HDTVs. I would think a GPU could do it in real time with decent quality.

There have been companies working on upscaling video at least since the advent of HDTVs. I would think a GPU could do it in real time with decent quality.
Well, Video upscalers have the luxury of introducing lag and no one will notice. And "decent quality" is not enough for gamers, otherwise simple video upscaling would do. What DLSS brings to the table is comparable or even better than native IQ.

It'll be great great I'm sure, I mean after all DLSS is just a gimmick to sell Nvidia cards and everybody knows tensor cores are useless.

/s

Become a Patron!
Back