AMD gains new Chief Architect of Gaming Solutions

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Lisa Su continues in restoring AMD to a competitive force to be reckoned with. Even with some mix results it's obvious the positive strides that their CPU department has taken. Their GPU's are still a work in progress but also getting better. Now they're adding a heavy hitter to the team. For those not in the know, Frank was a co-founder of a little company called Alienware.

Old Bennett had nothing but positive things to say about this guy (and even kinda went off on poor @Zarathustra over it). So either Bennett's looking for a job under him or dude's the real deal.

I'm assuming it's to shore up their laptop designs, but I'd be up for a AMD-powered, Nvidia-styled ShieldTV-like product.

Old Bennett had nothing but positive things to say about this guy (and even kinda went off on poor @Zarathustra over it). So either Bennett's looking for a job under him or dude's the real deal.

I'm assuming it's to shore up their laptop designs, but I'd be up for a AMD-powered, Nvidia-styled ShieldTV-like product.

Yeah, I don't know him personally, my mistake was to wonder out loud if prebuilts were the image AMD wanted to portray to the enthusiast community. I probably could have been more political in my tone though, but honestly I had no idea there was any relationship there.

As it is, I earned myself my first temp-ban on the HardForums in 20 years and almost 30,000 posts. (It's funny how the "off topic" rules are suddenly interpreted more strictly when you disagree :p )

Either way, not the end of the world, I'll be back there on the 18th. And with that I'm going to return. To the subject at hand. I don't want to pull two forums off-topic the same week :p

My take is this:

This looks a little bit as if AMD wants to get into direct to consumer sales with prebuilts, and I don't blame them. We all saw what happened when Intel illegally blocked AMD out of the marketplace last time they had a hit on their hands. It is in AMD's interest to make sure they can reach consumers even if something similar happens again.

So, as much as I personally cringe at the concept of "gaming" prebuilts, I totally understand this from a business perspective. They don't want to get blocked from the market again.

So, as much as I personally cringe at the concept of "gaming" prebuilts
Not a fan of 'em either but I've seen some nice ones in the last year. At least by the specs. For most companies, though, the bad reviews mostly revolve around shoddy assembly more than bad parts. If AMD can provide quality workmanship, parts, for a good price then they'll have some serious sales in the mid-level tiers using their cpu's/gpu's at in house costs.

It's funny how the "off topic" rules are suddenly interpreted more strictly when you disagree :p
Yeah, I had a couple of warnings myself. It's just not always easy to stay on topic especially when a tangent may actually have relevance. I still wish him the best though and I still post there as well. These two sites combined are incredible resources to have for information and great communities to be a part of.

Yeah, I had a couple of warnings myself. It's just not always easy to stay on topic especially when a tangent may actually have relevance. I still wish him the best though and I still post there as well. These two sites combined are incredible resources to have for information and great communities to be a part of.

Yeah, IMHO, it's not easy to definitively draw the line between on and off topic as a conversation evolves throughout a thread. The few times I have received off-topic warnings - however - have always been right after disagreeing with Kyle on something :p That's the problem when policies have grey areas. This time around - however - I'm not even sure which ones were deemed "off topic" as I got three in a row which results in an auto-temp ban, so I can't even see my inbox to know which ones they were :p

Either way, this conversation is almost certainly not on topic regarding the subject matter of the thread, so I am going to end it here. (Feel free to continue via PM if you wish :p )

Become a Patron!
Back