AMD GPU Availability And Scalping

Has AMD made any recent drops of cards in the last week or two? I've seen nothing from anyone with AMD cards. What is going on?
I'ts been very bleak, both Nv and AMD, and upposedly will last for a while yet, at least according to Nvidia.

Like you, I havent seen much movement on AMD cards and it seems people are fine with spending over the msrp
and act like they found gold on the side of the road when they get one.

So not very promising atm.

Last week there was a drop of about 3-4 6800's (Non-XTs) one of the MicroCenters in NY. I've been monitoring daily for larger drops of either stock.

There was a nice nVidia drop on stock on Thursday, but I wasn't able to make it down because I had work. By Lunchtime, that stock was gone (place opened at 10am).

One of these days I'll be able to score my 3080... I feel bad for those who are searching for 3090's... Because of the 25% tariff, those card are retailing now for close to $2100!

I’m sitting in camp “wait it out” but that doesn’t mean you can’t find these things at fair prices if you work for it. I just can’t say I’m all about the race to find these things in stock at MSRP.

I’m sitting in camp “wait it out” but that doesn’t mean you can’t find these things at fair prices if you work for it. I just can’t say I’m all about the race to find these things in stock at MSRP.
Same. Comfortably hanging out, playing games, EVGA que etc.

/Soap_Box On

Good lord, I know it isn't just me being frustrated and there are a whole lot of reasons, I sure hope the scalpers get their karmic retribution.

I just saw an 6800 xt on amazon for $1799 - and don't doubt it will sell.

Any secret tricks or tips for a fellow forum user on how to get one of these in stock near MSPR?

Why isn't scalping illegal?

Anyhow I am done ranting, for now.... I am guessing at least 2 more months before I can find a gpu available.

/Soap_Box Off

I've gotten two. Find a good discord alert page and follow it.

I've gotten two. Find a good discord alert page and follow it.
Great on you for snagging two - serious, no sarcasm there.

But yeah.. I don’t have time or want to take the effort to camp out and watch stock alerts. I could also just buck up and fork over $$$ to get one from a scalper too.. but not doing that either,

Does that mean I don’t deserve a card? Yeah, I guess so - it’s a hurdle too high for me to want to jump. But I still reserve the right to bitch about it incessently until the situation resolves to something more close to normal.

Great on you for snagging two - serious, no sarcasm there.

But yeah.. I don’t have time or want to take the effort to camp out and watch stock alerts. I could also just buck up and fork over $$$ to get one from a scalper too.. but not doing that either,

Does that mean I don’t deserve a card? Yeah, I guess so - it’s a hurdle too high for me to want to jump. But I still reserve the right to bitch about it incessently until the situation resolves to something more close to normal.
Oh it sucks, don’t get me wrong, but it can be done. Heck, just set the alerts to your phone. Got one of the 6800 that way...

What card are you looking for?

It sucks to wade through all the bullshit to get a current generation card, but I think it was worth it. I'm enjoying my RTX 3090. It's a huge upgrade over my RTX 2080 Ti.

Oh it sucks, don’t get me wrong, but it can be done. Heck, just set the alerts to your phone. Got one of the 6800 that way...

What card are you looking for?

To be honest - more so than any particular card I just want **** to get back to normal. But it is what it is.

No less than 10 times in the last six months I have caught various things in stock - six PS5s, two 3070s, two 3080s. Every time something intercedes - the web page crashes, ISP crashes, work calls and I have to take it, etc. so I have just taken this as a lesson in patience.

To be honest - more so than any particular card I just want **** to get back to normal. But it is what it is.

No less than 10 times in the last six months I have caught various things in stock - six PS5s, two 3070s, two 3080s. Every time something intercedes - the web page crashes, ISP crashes, work calls and I have to take it, etc. so I have just taken this as a lesson in patience.
I’ve had good luck. If you don’t mind paying shipping twice I’ll try to snag you something. Whatcha looking for?

It sucks to wade through all the bullshit to get a current generation card, but I think it was worth it. I'm enjoying my RTX 3090. It's a huge upgrade over my RTX 2080 Ti.
I wanted one, and still want one, but my patience is wearing thin with the price increases coupled with the scarcity. Had the thing stayed at MSRP and been more available then I most likely would have jumped up to one. I’ll probably be on my 2080ti until RTX4000/Radeon7800 arrive. I’m just lucky that my current card doesn’t leave too much to be desired. Still the jump in performance looks tantalizing every time I read current reviews by Brent.

I’ve had good luck. If you don’t mind paying shipping twice I’ll try to snag you something. Whatcha looking for?
Wow. I appreciate the offer, truly. It means a lot. Thank you.

I was looking for a 6800 / 3070 .. maybe a XT or 3080 if I wanted to push my already pushed budget. Was also looking for a PS5 (mostly as a UHD player), but no real pressing reason to really push on getting that either. Now that tariffs seem to have raised the baseline price even more, maybe I should just keep holding off.

Yeah, I'd like to have one. But I don't ~need~ one. My GTX980 still works, albeit a bit quirky. I'm not particularly religious, but I do tend to think that most things happen for a reason - even if I can't understand that reason at the time, it tends to become apparent in hind sight. So there's some reason I haven't been able to snag a card.

I'm like Auer, and Eduardo, and many others - if anything were close to MSRP and on the shelf, I'd probably jump on it (short of a 3090, I can't really justify that much for a GPU no matter how much I squint my eyeballs). Anything released in current generations are all a pretty hefty upgrade from what I'm running, and even if I got a bit of a lesser card (3070, 3060Ti, etc), it's still an upgrade and I have my son's machine it could get passed down to when something a bit shinier came along.

A monitor upgrade is also on the horizon for me in the near future, so it could just be that happens before the GPU rather than after. Well, an entire computer upgrade is warranted, but I don't want to put that much cash at an entertainment rig just yet, and I just overhauled the wife and son's rigs, as they needed it a bit more than I did.

It's up to you. The 70s are getting a bit easier to snag, as are the 6800s- easiest is still the 3090, of course, but I can try if you want me to. But you're right - prices have gone up, quite a bit. My most recent 6800 cost $1250 after shipping and tax, and that was AT MSRP - the new MSRP. The prior EXACT same card was 950 with all that.

It's up to you. The 70s are getting a bit easier to snag, as are the 6800s- easiest is still the 3090, of course, but I can try if you want me to. But you're right - prices have gone up, quite a bit. My most recent 6800 cost $1250 after shipping and tax, and that was AT MSRP - the new MSRP. The prior EXACT same card was 950 with all that.
Thanks but I think I will continue to hodl with what I got, and complain about it all the way.

Become a Patron!
Back