AMD High-End Gaming PC Build Guide: Spring 2020 Edition

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
Introduction

Building a new Gaming PC is probably one of the most exciting aspects of PC Gaming for enthusiasts as well as one of the most daunting at the same time. With a veritable plethora of options in almost every category users can spend literal days looking at reviews, specifications, compatibilities, and aesthetics before settling on a final build.  For some of us, that is heaven. For others, it is hell. Either way, it always seems like time is short (or we just lose track of it in the process).

So, today at The FPS Review, we are putting together an AMD based High-End Gaming PC system as an idea of what is out there and what would make for a truly enjoyable gaming experience with time for you, the reader, to spare. So sit back, relax, and take in our AMD High-End Gaming PC Build Guide for Spring 2020 to help you build a PC this spring.

Build-Guide-watermark_huge-1024x364.png

With today’s...

Continue reading...

Ummm...
Now, for those of you who run Team AMD, don’t fret. We have a guide coming up for you next. So, if an AMD Threadripper system doesn’t tickle your fancy then stop back soon for our Intel High-End Gaming PC Build Guide: Spring 2020 article!
Shouldn't that read "Team Intel"?

I thought cool, until I saw THREADRIPPER. Yep I'm done unless...

Does any body have the Mega-millions and/or Powerball winning lottery numbers for this weekend?

J/K, actually it is a very well thought out build guide. I can only recommend one change though, drop the RTX 2080 Ti and get a pair of Quadro Pro RTX 8000 cards and make it really expensive but I could render images that take hours now in just a few minutes. Would be one hell of a render rig.

Unfortunately I would have to win the lottery or rob a bank to build it LOL.

When I was a freshman in high school, there was a senior in my gym class.

he decided to rob the local bank.

after holding up the cashier for all the cash she has in the drawer, he calmly walked across the street, took off his ski mask,and went into the used car lot. He put the cash on the table and asked what he could drive off in for that right there.

The cops got him as he was pulling out of the lot.

he made out with about $3k in 1992 dollars, I think the car was an early 80’s camero, but can’t confirm that.

tl;dr
Bank robbing isn’t as lucrative as you may imagine; it probably won’t buy you a Threadripper system.

It says GAMING rig at the title. Threadripper and gaming is possibly not optimal, as the higher core count will generate more heat and make OCing harder. If it said gaming rendering and streaming high end rig, i could agree. I do understand that the idea is try to squeeze some performance out of the better memory on Threadrippers, but still...

just adding some fuel: 3950X is not always behind TRs on gaming, and that is before counting PBO, which is the only scenario where these CPUs can be fairly compared . https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/RZVckeC2J4Ugjz8cWrAX7F-970-80.png

I have not seen any other review site recommend a Threadripper for gaming.
High end Ryzen CPU and a nice ASUS X570 board would be just fine.
This gear is otherwise intended for a HEDT and not gaming.
Expense is not justified.

It says GAMING rig at the title. Threadripper and gaming is possibly not optimal, as the higher core count will generate more heat and make OCing harder. If it said gaming rendering and streaming high end rig, i could agree. I do understand that the idea is try to squeeze some performance out of the better memory on Threadrippers, but still...

That would be why just about every page indicated gaming and productivity. What would a high-end system look like that you could do both with reasonably well? Hence the use of a Threadripper on the AMD side of things.

The point isn't to justify an expense. The point is what AMD system would we build for a given budget - not going to the Threadripper would leave money on the table and get the writer sacked for not accomplishing the goal of the article, and who wants to do that?

I think "high end" gaming rig would be a r9-3950x.... any TR would be a different category, perhaps "ultra"

I think "high end" gaming rig would be a r9-3950x.... any TR would be a different category, perhaps "ultra"
Honestly given how well they game I still think if money was no object I would be typing this from a 3990X rig... Its the platform as a whole being so **** impressive. The amount of gen 4 lanes alone is drool worthy.

Honestly given how well they game I still think if money was no object I would be typing this from a 3990X rig... Its the platform as a whole being so **** impressive. The amount of gen 4 lanes alone is drool worthy.

Well, maybe. The 3990X has a lower boost clock (by 200 MHz) and a lower all core clock (by 800 MHz) compared to the 3970X. That'd likely have a negative impact on gaming performance....

Well, maybe. The 3990X has a lower boost clock (by 200 MHz) and a lower all core clock (by 800 MHz) compared to the 3970X. That'd likely have a negative impact on gaming performance....
Oh no arguing with you on that I guess I am just one of those people drooling over the core count.

Become a Patron!
Back