AMD Overtakes NVIDIA in GPU Shipments for the First Time since 2014

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD appears to be gaining ground on the GPU front. According to data from Jon Peddie Research, red team shipped nearly 10% more GPUs than last quarter, exceeding NVIDIA's market share in Q2 2019.

AMD last managed this feat in Q2 2014, an era that preceded NVIDIA's Maxwell. The Radeon R9 290X was one of the fastest parts that gamers could buy at the time.

AMD's resurgence in GPU shipments is somewhat surprising considering the company's product stack and market penetration; AMD doesn't have a faster GPU than Nvidia, support hardware-accelerated ray tracing in any capacity, have a strong presence in the laptop market, or have a full product stack based on its most recent architecture.

It's almost like Nvidia simply priced themselves out of the majority of consumers that wanted an upgrade but didn't want to spend a whole new laptops worth of budget on one. Imagine that!

Not too surprising after NVidias brain fart but good going nonetheless.
If only AMD had a card to replace a 1080ti though.
At the moment neither company makes one I care for.

I wonder how many of these are RX 570/580's. Good enough to game with, faster than the Nvidia 1650, and cheaper than the 1660. If AMD could come up with an RX 580 replacement that was maybe 15-20% faster and used less power, at a similar price point, I think they would continue holding market share.

I don't believe anybody is really surprised. AMD had great mid-tier offerings this round for great prices. Congrats AMD!

Yep.
And its worth bearing in mind NVidia dont ship desktop CPUs with gfx onboard, the market % for NVidia are only discrete gfx cards.
I saw the results of discrete only somewhere and it was approx 33% AMD, 67% NVidia for the latest quarter.
An improvement for AMD of about 10% total (a very large improvement of 40%+ if memory serves) and a loss to NVidia of that 10%. But I cant remember if this is over the previous quarter or last year.

Last edited:
Yep.
And its worth bearing in mind NVidia dont ship desktop CPUs with gfx onboard, the market % for NVidia are only discrete gfx cards.
I saw the results of discrete only somewhere and it was approx 33% AMD, 67% NVidia for the latest quarter.
An improvement for AMD of about 10% total (a very large improvement of 40%+ if memory serves) and a loss to NVidia of that 10%. But I cant remember if this is over the previous quarter or last year.
Found it post 13, more info earlier.
The 10% total market share change was quarter to quarter.

Found it post 13, more info earlier.
The 10% total market share change was quarter to quarter.
[/URL]
That dynamic of one company losing at the same time another gains can be worst case scenario. Either way itt should result in a win for us with NV not overpricing things next round and not to mention AMD getting the income they need to pay bills. Something tells me that around 2021 things will be very interesting for GPU releases.

That dynamic of one company losing at the same time another gains can be worst case scenario. Either way itt should result in a win for us with NV not overpricing things next round and not to mention AMD getting the income they need to pay bills. Something tells me that around 2021 things will be very interesting for GPU releases.
..and don't forget about Intel throwing their hat into the game with their planned releasing of video cards ..
I had the 2200g in my daughters rig for a bit and it did surprisingly well with Fortnite .. she now has my "old" 2700x and a 3gb GTX 1060 mini though

Become a Patron!
Back