AMD Prepping 12-Core Ryzen 9 3900 with 65 W TDP

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD has an answer for enthusiasts seeking a less power-hungry 12C/24T chip. Support documents from BIOSTAR have outed the Ryzen 9 3900 and Ryzen 9 Pro 3900 processors, which offer a relatively low TDP of 65 W. That's 40 W less than the 3900X's spec.

Performance will, of course, be a bit lower. The 3900 variants will offer a base frequency of 3.1 GHz (vs. 3.8 GHz). The exact boost frequency is unknown, but hardware leaker APISAK believes it could be 4.3 GHz (vs. 4.6 GHz).

It's unknown when AMD will launch the Ryzen 9 3900 and Ryzen 9 Pro 3900. The chipmaker is probably busy building up stock for the Ryzen 9 3950X, which has been pushed to November, and preparing the Ryzen Threadripper 3000-series release.

Ryzen 1700 could easily be overclocked to match an 1800X, so shouldn't be a problem for a 3900 to hit 3900X speeds with an OC. Unlike the 3900X, I hope there is ample stock of the 3900.

Ryzen 1700 could easily be overclocked to match an 1800X, so shouldn't be a problem for a 3900 to hit 3900X speeds with an OC. Unlike the 3900X, I hope there is ample stock of the 3900.

I wouldn't bet on this at all. Hitting the single core clocks of the 3900X is hard enough for the 3900X. I seriously doubt that we'll see 3900's matching 3900X's easily. If we start seeing ample stock of standard 3900's, it will be because its easier to bin. Another indicator that you shouldn't get your hopes up as far as overclocking goes.

I'm hoping there will be some 35-45w parts in the 6-8 core space in the Ryzen 3000 family.

I'd love to drop one into my fiance's fanless box.

ryzen isn't targeted to vm space... but I see your point.

This sounds pretty awesome, although at this point I'm waiting on Ryzen 4 for my personal build. It feels weird, but ever since probably Ivy bridge I've started to become more interested in power efficient parts than pure performance. That's probably because I like a quieter PC and don't want to be sweating while I game though :D

Yea... I'm split. I don't have the money for a new build right now but if it fell in my lap I'd be looking at the Ryzen 3700's. Regardless though since I have to wait anyway... I kinda wanna see what they Ryzen 4k series will look like. SMT 4?

Yea... I'm split. I don't have the money for a new build right now but if it fell in my lap I'd be looking at the Ryzen 3700's. Regardless though since I have to wait anyway... I kinda wanna see what they Ryzen 4k series will look like. SMT 4?

Well considering you're running an AM4 socket Motherboard this is no big deal. This is impactful to those with a TR4 socket motherboard.

I imagine the new threadrippers have a more demanding power threshold. + PCIE 4. So i expect they don't want to deal with sub standard traces trying to do PCIe 4 so they will say.. 'new socket new motherboard PCIe 4.x only.

Lets watch and see though. :)

Become a Patron!
Back