AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT and Radeon RX 6800 Review

I'm puzzled for the performance on FS, I guess its a driver issue maybe. I expected this was the game where the 16gb of ram would make a difference.

Here's how: Nvidia lowered prices this generation, and delivered better than expected improvements, AMD raised prices and is clearly lagging Nvidia, even though they have a better process and more VRAM.

RTX 3070, you mean. No it does not beat 2080Ti from what most people have posted.

In our testing the GeForce RTX 3070 Founders Edition used less power than a GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER FE, and GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE. This is important because the performance exceeded the GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER FE and matched the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE for the most part.

Matched would be a better term. Beat, well, in some ways, but match works better.

Full review found here
Quote taken from conclusion.

This just means when I am ready to buy there isna slightly better chance I can get a card at the tier I want.

Awesome review @Brent_Justice !!!!!

That is some pretty good numbers for a $700 card.

This is exiting for AMD to be able to compete with Nvidia!

Yep now when I have the budget for a new card I can go to a shop and ask for a base RTX 3080, OR a 6800xt!! I'm sure ONE of those will be in.... right... uhhhh right?

More than likely, yes. The 3070 only has 8GB of VRAM, while the 2080Ti has 11GB. My guess would be, if VRAM was equal, the frame rates would be relatively equal as well.

Great card if all you play is DiRT 5 🤣.

Seriously, though. Seems perfectly competitive in rasterization with NVIDIA and the 3080, but ray tracing looks rather poor. Maybe next time, AMD.
I'm puzzled for the performance on FS, I guess its a driver issue maybe. I expected this was the game where the 16gb of ram would make a difference.
Flight Simulator is heavily CPU-dependent. It will still use as much VRAM is available, but it really shouldn't affect FPS to a large degree. The highest I've seen the game use in various reviews was about 12GB on a 16GB Radeon VII with the dense terrain setting at 4K.

Great card if all you play is DiRT 5 🤣.

Seriously, though. Seems perfectly competitive in rasterization with NVIDIA and the 3080, but ray tracing looks rather poor. Maybe next time, AMD.

Flight Simulator is heavily CPU-dependent. It will still use as much VRAM is available, but it really shouldn't affect FPS to a large degree. The highest I've seen the game use in various reviews was about 12GB on a 16GB Radeon VII with the dense terrain setting at 4K.
Thing is that the RTX3070 with "only"8GB beats the 6800 by a fair margin and is pretty close to the 6800XT. I was expecting the 6800 series take the lead here by quite a bit. So I'm guessing its a driver issue.

I'd be curious to see how the AMD cards do with WoW's RT. AMD has it's Logo all over this with Blizzard.

Some old friends of mine hijacked me back in to that game for the SL expansion, and I get about a 25% perf hit with RT on "High" at 4K with a RTX 2070. Of course it doesnt matter, it's WoW and I'm on a 4K60 monitor. Just curious.

Thing is that the RTX3070 with "only"8GB beats the 6800 by a fair margin and is pretty close to the 6800XT. I was expecting the 6800 series take the lead here by quite a bit. So I'm guessing its a driver issue.

It would be interesting to check if SAM boosts performance in FS significantly

Become a Patron!
Back