AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Graphics Cards Could Be Hard to Find at Launch

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
amd-radeon-rx-6000-series-logo-close-up-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

Stop us if you’ve heard this one before: a major graphics card manufacturer announces a new product line, but few are able to buy one at launch or for weeks thereafter. It seems that NVIDIA may not be the only one with a dismal supply issue, as Wccftech is reporting that AMD could experience something similar.

ASUS Nordic rep David Hammer suggests there could be low stock on launch day. In now-deleted posts, he said he expects the AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT to sell out within minutes. Considering what many of us have seen, it could be more accurate to say seconds.

It will be quite limited I think, that it will sell...

Continue reading...

Smartphones are a lot more complex to assemble, BOM, etc. compared to dedicated gpus but smartphone manufactures MANAGED to produce hundreds-of-millions of phones in 2020 even through the worse pandemic in our lifetime.

GPU / CPU vendors are a total opposite?

Why don't gpu / cpu vendors offer preorders?

It seems like crooked / deceitful "regulation" is at play here!

Preorders can be cancelled (if for example benchmarks are dissapoining like the 2000 series) and also don't magically create more inventory.

I'm hoping one of the AIBs will copy EVGA's queue system. At this point, my plan is to just try to grab whatever (which was also my 3000 plan - which didn't work), but if I could queue up a Sapphire Nitro+ 6800 XT, I'd be all over that.

I'm hoping one of the AIBs will copy EVGA's queue system. At this point, my plan is to just try to grab whatever (which was also my 3000 plan - which didn't work), but if I could queue up a Sapphire Nitro+ 6800 XT, I'd be all over that.
I have a long way to go, EVGA hasnt even launched their hybrids yet and that's where my interest is. 3080 or 90 would do..

Because those products were still in a DC and in the back of many trailers with orders to not deliver due to most of the hoarding and to inflate prices.

Yeah, that makes enough sense like believing in pink elephants.

If a preorder(s) is cancelled at a major product launch, I'm sure that preorder(s) will be shifted to be sold from that companies other avenue streams. 😒

SPRING will bring promise of a new video card.....this is f$cking ridiculous.

Smartphones are a lot more complex to assemble, BOM, etc. compared to dedicated gpus but smartphone manufactures MANAGED to produce hundreds-of-millions of phones in 2020 even through the worse pandemic in our lifetime.

GPU / CPU vendors are a total opposite?

It seems like crooked / deceitful "regulation" is at play here!
Assembly is not the hard part. Manufacturing the processors is. Most phones use the same SoC on a process that has not changed in years. A phone's SoC is also a 73 mm² part, meaning you can get much more out of a single silicon wafer than you can making an 800 mm² GPU.

I really wish news articles would save **** like that until 3 months after release.

Here's hoping that the release of the consoles will drain the market of available cash for video cards? Maybe... please?

Consoles are being scalped too. I guess this is the new thing. I realize is not new new but it is reaching new levels. Well, we can train our brains to know first its a scalper's launch then the normal launch is some 2 months or so later.

Consoles are being scalped too. I guess this is the new thing. I realize is not new new but it is reaching new levels. Well, we can train our brains to know first its a scalper's launch then the normal launch is some 2 months or so later.
Definitely not new, but I think the ridiculous COVID-19 restrictions have just amped it up to another level this time around. I definitely do not remember scalping being such a huge issue in even recent releases over the past few years. People are even being paid to wait in line at physical stores to grab stock for scalping operations.

This is nothing new. It's been happening for decades. Whatever the "hot new thing" is always gets bought up and scalped.

Become a Patron!
Back