AMD Radeon RX 7900 “XTX” to Feature 24 GB of GDDR6 Memory: Report

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD's upcoming family of Radeon RX 7000 Series graphics cards will include newly branded "XTX" models, according to a report from Benchlife.info that teases a Radeon RX 7900 with 20 GB of GDDR6 memory.

See full article...

Uh, thats a lot of memory, wonder if they finally have a beast, hopefully not of 6 million watts.

Well, that size of memory is mainly for content creators or maybe 8K. I've been lucky enough to have 3090/3090 Ti's for the last couple of years and can honestly say I've rarely seen any games go above 12-14 GB at 4K and that's usually using max settings with DLSS either on quality or off. I have seen a couple hit around 16 GB but that's pretty much the limit and by then FPS are tanking. Many are still in the 8-12 GB range at 4K. I'd imagine this upcoming AMD flagship card will be targeting the 3090 Ti, and hopefully cheaper while using less power to make it more appealing for those who don't want to jump into a 4090 or are brand loyal to AMD.

Well, that size of memory is mainly for content creators or maybe 8K. I've been lucky enough to have 3090/3090 Ti's for the last couple of years and can honestly say I've rarely seen any games go above 12-14 GB at 4K and that's usually using max settings with DLSS either on quality or off. I have seen a couple hit around 16 GB but that's pretty much the limit and by then FPS are tanking. Many are still in the 8-12 GB range at 4K. I'd imagine this upcoming AMD flagship card will be targeting the 3090 Ti, and hopefully cheaper while using less power to make it more appealing for those who don't want to jump into a 4090 or are brand loyal to AMD.

The end of your paragraph I just dont get. And I'm running an all amd rig at the moment.

Are there actually techies that have some sort of hardware component brand loyalty out there? It seems... short sighted to say the least. Then again I was always going from brand to brand and the only loyalties I ever formed were appreciation for solid hardware stability. That was more around motherboards, memory, and harddrives... though eith Nvidia and their mealty cards I think thisnis different.

The end of your paragraph I just dont get. And I'm running an all amd rig at the moment.

Are there actually techies that have some sort of hardware component brand loyalty out there? It seems... short sighted to say the least. Then again I was always going from brand to brand and the only loyalties I ever formed were appreciation for solid hardware stability. That was more around motherboards, memory, and harddrives... though eith Nvidia and their mealty cards I think thisnis different.
I do have some sembalance of loyalty to Seasonic for power supply and buy them by default, but that is mostly because they have been best of breed for years and I haven't waded through a bunch of reviews to see if anything is better. Similarly, I've been buying mostly Asus motherboards with a side of MSI boards after a string of difficulties with other manufacturers.

As for Video Cards and CPUs? No preference - Owned pentium 1/2/3, Athon Tbird, A64, Core2Duo, Core2Quad, Ivy Bridge, Ryzen 2700x and 5950x. My Video card purchases have been similarly mixed, but since I starting running Folding at Home again in 2020, I may be tied to NVidia, because F@H has Cuda extensions only.

I don't have any such thing but I've definitely seen those who are quite proud to be team red no matter what. For me, it's the best of what I can afford but I've seen plenty who'll keep dropping their money on AMD GPUs to avoid NVIDIA.

Are there actually techies that have some sort of hardware component brand loyalty out there?
I have a friend who is a Senior Oracle DBA, he makes a f*ckton of money, huuuuge PC guy like me, big tech geek, has many different PCs for different purposes, awesome crazy home network setup, 6 displays for his main PC (including HDTV and 4K primary), but for some f*cking reason he absolutely refuses to buy Intel CPUs or nVidia graphics cards. He's AMD-only. I like AMD more than the other two companies, but shiat that's not gonna stop me from buying whoever makes the best product at the time of purchase. My current PC built in 2014 is Intel+nVidia.

I do have some sembalance of loyalty to Seasonic for power supply and buy them by default, but that is mostly because they have been best of breed for years...
Same. Plus to my knowledge they are the only ones who provide review samples right out of their normal retail stock, rather than hand-picked units that will test good and be better than what consumers can actually buy. Love those 10-year warranties too.

For me, it's the best of what I can afford...
Yupz, same deal with me.

Price is a very important factor to me. This leads me to, more often than not go with AMD CPU's and I havnt been disappointed and always have been able to play the games of the day just fine even with my fx-8150 (er 8350) (it did heat the room though).

I have traditionally gone with NVidia GPU's - well my first GPU was a Matrox g400 followed by a g450, after which I went Nvidia up to my 1080 ti founders ed. When the time came to upgrade, and the scalpers were out in force, the Green tax plus some of the dirty things NV had done being in the news - along with NV not supporting Free Sync via hdmi and the AMD GPU's having 16gb of vram was nice too as I play at 4k, all this lead me to my rx6900xt which is doing very well with everything I have thrown at it.

So I am not anti-intel, I have had laptops with Intel CPU's and only recently have I become (slightly) anti-team green, though as always in the future, price, performance, and features/specs will win over brand name.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember when we used to say that for the whole build? Remember those $1K challenges for the best build?
Oddly enough you can still build a decent mid-range rig for $1000. R5 5600X, B550 mobo, 6600XT, 16 GB ram, case, psu and air cooler. It's doable.

Pain scale of a new build (compared to "yesterday"):
  1. Pleasant:
    • storage
  2. Feels OK:
    • CPUs
    • thermal paste
  3. Sometimes it hurts:
    • cases
    • power supplies
    • cooling
    • peripherals
  4. Moderate to severe pain:
    • motherboards
    • memory (DDR5)
  5. Call the doctor:
    • graphics cards

Pain scale of a new build (compared to "yesterday"):
  1. Pleasant:
    • storage
  2. Feels OK:
    • CPUs
    • thermal paste
  3. Sometimes it hurts:
    • cases
    • power supplies
    • cooling
    • peripherals
  4. Moderate to severe pain:
    • motherboards
    • memory (DDR5)
  5. Call the doctor:
    • graphics cards
Great now when I'm old and in pain and they ask what my pain level is I'm gonna say graphics card and nobody will know what I mean!!!

Oddly enough you can still build a decent mid-range rig for $1000. R5 5600X, B550 mobo, 6600XT, 16 GB ram, case, psu and air cooler. It's doable.
I still remember how happy I was to put together my 3700x/x570 build for around $1K since I already had a PSU/Case/GPU and a couple of SSDs laying around, although did order a 1 TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe then. It was also nice to upgrade it to what it is now(5800x3d) for about the same (a little more) but I upgraded the ram and then added a 2TB PCIe NVMe while I was at it plus a new case and AIO.

I still remember how happy I was to put together my 3700x/x570 build for around $1K since I already had a PSU/Case/GPU and a couple of SSDs laying around, although did order a 1 TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe then. It was also nice to upgrade it to what it is now(5800x3d) for about the same (a little more) but I upgraded the ram and then added a 2TB PCIe NVMe while I was at it plus a new case and AIO.
This right here is why I love DIY. At the beginning of this year I spent just over 1500 going from a 3900x to a new mobo, storage, CPU, power supply and case. everything else I moved across. But my next upgrade will be a video card and then a monitor. After that who knows... but since it's DIY the parts and pieces are transportable between builds and save on cost SO much.

Great now when I'm old and in pain and they ask what my pain level is I'm gonna say graphics card and nobody will know what I mean!!!
That's why AMD is releasing the new prescription-strength Radeon Rx 7900 XTX alongside the one in the title. I know what you're thinking: more naming shenanigans — this time from AMD. It's madness.
(Ask your doctor if lower-case "x" is right for you.)

Last edited:
That would be a kind of convenient option when adding an aftermarket waterblock to a card.
Yup - I do think it would be a good thing to have available. On the flip side: I can already see some idiot buying it and trying to run it without a cooler at all though and wondering why it didn't work.

Become a Patron!
Back