AMD RDNA 4 GPUs Are Rumored to Feature a Reworked Ray-Tracing Hardware Solution

For one example, see the following video, from 22:57 to 27:40:

One thing I've been pretty happy about with RT is the lack of screen-space reflections. It was always kinda annoying and distracting how with SSR only objects that are shown on-screen would appear in reflections, and as the camera moves and those objects are no longer on the screen, their reflections disappear. But with RT, everything that exists in the environment is shown in reflective surfaces, regardless of whether they are visible on-screen. Just another thing that improves the immersion factor.

For me a lot of the wow factor with path tracing has come not from how things look, but with how light (and light-related stuff) behaves. It's been fun playing around with the light physics in games like Metro Exodus EE, Quake 2 RTX, Portal RTX, and CP2077. I can't wait to see the effect on immersion when games are designed with path-tracing from the ground up. In the far off distant future when GPUs no longer choke on RT workloads.

The game that for me made a night and day difference with SSR vs RT was CONTROL. It's like playing a completely different game. IMO that's the most noticeable RTX feature, not shiny surfaces.

I mean, we're talking about programmable computation units on video cards. CUDA and other cores. Don't remember what Intel is calling theirs. But if they are getting the gains by literally making drivers that optimize how the cores run for specific games, until such time as they can master general Direct X or other implementations via drivers THEN tweak (where AMD and Nvidia are arguably at) then this makes sense.

Intel is still in the learning phase with their first generation of programmable silicone GPU's.

Now is that an excuse with all of the 'harvestable' talent at other vendors.. that's debatable.

I'm not sure if that speaks good or bad for intel.

Yeah, they are either the gods of optimization, or they released a product that was broken at launch.

Which is more likely? :p

That said, if the product at launch is priced appropriately for its launch performance, then this can be a decent deal for the end user who continues to get a better experience throughout the life of the product...

Become a Patron!
Back