AMD Reportedly Launching Its Answer to NVIDIA’s DLSS in the Spring

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-radeon-rx-6000-series-virtual-assembly-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

AMD will reportedly launch its answer to NVIDIA’s Deep Learning Super Sampling technology, FidelityFX Super Resolution, sometime in the spring. The rumor comes from El Chapuzas Informatico, which discovered the alleged date in an article published by Hungarian hardware site Prohardver regarding AMD Radeon Boost—a technology that dynamically lowers resolution when fast on-screen character motion is detected via user input. FidelityFX Super Resolution is an especially exciting development for red team because it has the potential to strip away one of the biggest incentives of buying a GeForce graphics card.

“[…] unlike the competing DLSS, [FidelityFX...

Continue reading...

This gives me promise.
It shouldn't, this is AMD we're talking about.

The 'promise' is that they'll half-arse something that they can legally defend in court as checking off as a feature on the side of the box.

And that's not to say that I don't want them to come up with something useful... I just consider their extremely checkered history when it comes to 'promises'.

intersting as it is do they realy need to add more reasons to buy their unobtainium stuff?

Should work fine with the RX 480 I have, cuz it's not looking like I will get my hands on anything newer

Should work fine with the RX 480 I have, cuz it's not looking like I will get my hands on anything newer

Just curious... have you tried beyond walking into a store or randomly checking newegg and going. "nope out of stock," because yea it did take me a few weeks of checking off and on when stock drops happen but I was able to get one and in hindsight it wasn't THAT difficult. Was it more difficult than it SHOULD have been. YES.

Just curious. I see these complaints a lot and agree with them, but then I think... how hard was it for me to get one...

Like Freesync, it will be cheaper, easier to adapt, and "good enough".

AMD continues to excel at the average.

If you think Nvidia hasn't been playing to the 'averages' you haven't been paying attention. You don't have a company who's market is or was over 250 billion cap without playing to the largest market possible.

Nvidia cards are good and so are AMD cards. Features wise Nvidia has more features that are not gaming centric. And I don't think anyone is debating that.

But I think having a bigger market for your features is actually a good thing. Freesync works. Nvidia's monitors are both locked to Nvidia cards for that feature, and are more expensive because of that. Plenty of freesync monitors out there with better or equivalent features. Just because more cheaper manufacturers take advantage of the Freesync feature as a selling point doesn't make G-Sync abjectly better. Just a reason to be abjectly more expensive.

I think that this is a good thing coming down the pipe and perhaps we will see Nvidia pull away from it's less open API.

If you think Nvidia hasn't been playing to the 'averages' you haven't been paying attention. You don't have a company who's market is or was over 250 billion cap without playing to the largest market possible.

Nvidia cards are good and so are AMD cards. Features wise Nvidia has more features that are not gaming centric. And I don't think anyone is debating that.

But I think having a bigger market for your features is actually a good thing. Freesync works. Nvidia's monitors are both locked to Nvidia cards for that feature, and are more expensive because of that. Plenty of freesync monitors out there with better or equivalent features. Just because more cheaper manufacturers take advantage of the Freesync feature as a selling point doesn't make G-Sync abjectly better. Just a reason to be abjectly more expensive.

I think that this is a good thing coming down the pipe and perhaps we will see Nvidia pull away from it's less open API.
I wasnt referring to the market.

Just curious... have you tried beyond walking into a store or randomly checking newegg and going. "nope out of stock," because yea it did take me a few weeks of checking off and on when stock drops happen but I was able to get one and in hindsight it wasn't THAT difficult. Was it more difficult than it SHOULD have been. YES.

Just curious. I see these complaints a lot and agree with them, but then I think... how hard was it for me to get one...
May want to consider that luck had some roll in that.

I caught 3 different 3070s in stock on ‘Egg last Wednesday. It wouldn’t let me check out any of them.

That makes about the 15th time I’ve caught stock in, but “something” still prevents a sale.

In a side note - it seems the EVGA queues have all but died.

My comment didn't reflect if the product was in stock or not. Or any of the other various reasons for not purchasing either.

Let's see what does it bring to the table.

There are too many rumors on features, quality, performance and compatibility that puts it below DLSS and some that put it above.

AFAIK the initial tests done on a GTX1080 brought big IQ improvements but it wasn't much faster than native.
But apparently it will be compatible if not with all games, with a much bigger library than DLSS, so there's that.

I'm ok with "good enough" as long as it's "good enough" priced

Reading the article some - looks like it still needs the developer to add it to the game, so it doesn't look like it will just blanket every title. That tempers some of my excitement about it - I fear it will just be another checkbox, like Temporal AA, that marketing can put on the box but rarely gets used. To be fair, it's not like DLSS is getting huge wide-spread adoption either, although it does have some high profile titles. And to be honest, I'd rather have a card that's fast enough to not need to turn on tricks like this.. although such tricks are nice at extending out the lifespan of a card.

“[…] unlike the competing DLSS, [FidelityFX Super Resolution] will not be part of the graphics driver at AMD, but will work as a stand-alone, in-game effect,” Prohardver wrote. “Its only requirement on the graphical device driver side is support for the DirectML API, which is already solved in the PC market.”

Dunno that it will work well on pre-Navi 2 cards though, states that they are leveraging Infinity Cache for the performance improvement. That said, they say the only requirement is DirectML API support in the driver, so at least in theory, that would be any recent card, not just AMD Navi 2 cards.

I'd rather have a card that's fast enough to not need to turn on tricks like this.. although such tricks are nice at extending out the lifespan of a card.
Couldn't agree more. It's sure nice having those tricks but even better when there's raw power to get the job done.

Freesync works. Nvidia's monitors are both locked to Nvidia cards for that feature, and are more expensive because of that. Plenty of freesync monitors out there with better or equivalent features. Just because more cheaper manufacturers take advantage of the Freesync feature as a selling point doesn't make G-Sync abjectly better. Just a reason to be abjectly more expensive.
Freesync works... not as well. Objectively. And subjectively when compared 1:1.

I won't debate whether I'd rather have Freesync or nothing, but where possible I'm willing to pay for G-Sync. Of course, that's usually in a price range where that's not much more in terms of fractional increase over a hypothetical base price without Freesync, and no, I wouldn't pay double for G-Sync over Freesync if say the base price were US$100.

Caveats aside, while Nvidia has earned plenty of complaints for how G-Sync has been handled, from cost to input options to lack of AMD Freesync compatibility for most of its releases to having to have an active cooling solution that monitor manufacturers inevitably implemented poorly, G-Sync also has the 'following' it has for the fact that Nvidia went and solved all the problems related to how stupidly modern display protocols have been set up. And they solved them right from the beginning.

And with respect to LCD technology at least, G-Sync still has the technical edge. And let's not get into AMDs complete failure of a certification regime for Freesync; it might as well not exist, and has been functionally replaced with Nvidia's 'G-Sync Compatible' badge, because that's the only way to know if the monitor manufacturer didn't half-arse a particular revision of a particular model, even if said monitor will only ever be used with an AMD GPU.

Last, the latest G-Sync module works with Freesync and AMD GPUs. Can't not cost more I assume, but it's an option and has value.

Nvidia basically had to co-opt an existing feature to make DLSS work, and they had to garner developer support to do it. And they had to put together significant infrastructure on their end to support it and refine it.

These are not things AMD is known for doing well. Granted Nvidia is killing them in this regard, so perhaps AMD sees this as a justification for a far higher investment effort than is typical, but at that point, that coin flip isn't looking so good.

The only upside here is that they'll be treading on ground that Nvidia has already paved. Call it a balanced coin flip.

nd to be honest, I'd rather have a card that's fast enough to not need to turn on tricks like this.. although such tricks are nice at extending out the lifespan of a card.

This is... a catch-22 that could easily dive deep into philosophy.

So look at it this way: if power / heat / noise / battery life aren't a concern you probably want the faster hardware. But if they are a concern, you want more efficient hardware, which is what DLSS does, big picture.

It's not that I don't want a mobile 3090, for purely hypothetical example, it's that I can get the same performance utilizing DLSS with a mobile 3070, and I can get it with a quiet 15" notebook instead of a hulking 17" DTR cooled by a leaf blower.

Obviously there are tradeoffs, but unlike hardware, you can just not use DLSS!

Become a Patron!
Back