AMD Ryzen 5000 Series CPUs and 500 Series Motherboards Have Abnormally High Failure Rates, Suggests PowerGPU

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-ryzen-logo-lava-cracks-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

AMD Ryzen 5000 Series processors and 500 Series motherboards reportedly have a higher than average failure rate. That’s according to custom gaming PC shop PowerGPU, which shared a tweet yesterday explaining how it had encountered a relatively high amount of Zen 3 processors that were dead on arrival. Contrastingly, PowerGPU noted that it only ran into one dead Intel CPU (an i9-9700K) over the course of its business.

“Before the 5000 series it was 80% intel and 20% AMD and we only had 1 Intel CPU die in the past 2 years,” Power GPU tweeted. “Also the boards from AMD have the highest failure rate. Every week it’s at least 3-5 boards DOA from B550 to X570’s.”

The failure on the new AMD CPUs are still too high.AMD Ryzen 5950x x50 units 8 doaAMD Ryzen 5900x x50 units 4 doaAMD Ryzen 5800x x100...

Continue reading...

This is why you take all early reviewers glorifying metrics opinions with a tub of salt and wait for world circulation for that product analysis or wear out the refresh button on that OEMs media channels for CONSUMERS feedback.

This is the first I'm hearing of dead CPU's and mobo's. Of all the people on here and other forums I don't recall seeing threads about it.

Make me question PowerGPU's handling practices.

This sounds like a problem with handling the parts at assembly.
My X570 MB has ben nothing short of excellent.

I saw a lot of reports of 5000 series CPUs being shipped in Manila envelopes from Amazon

Yup over on H they are basically calling BS on this. Limited sample, maybe bad handling, maybe other component issues etc. While I don't have one yet, I feel like if there was really this much DOA happening we would have heard more about it.

Yup over on H they are basically calling BS on this. Limited sample, maybe bad handling, maybe other component issues etc. While I don't have one yet, I feel like if there was really this much DOA happening we would have heard more about it.
While H has turned into the new DenofAMD, they're probably right in calling BS. I saw the headline hit elsewhere yesterday and decided not to dig in yet. I suppose I might have come to the same basic conclusion given the lack of corroborating (and older!) reports.

I'll bet that this does more to harm PowerGPUs work and legitimacy than it does to hurt AMD.

Ever dropped an Intel CPU on an LGA socket? Ever dropped anything on an LGA socket? Ever tried to insert an Intel CPU into an LGA socket in the wrong orientation?

LGA is way fragile. I have boards serving in second-level backup capacity because they can't run their memory controllers properly, because I was in a hurry or just effed up. And once you bend LGA pins, you're probably not getting them bent back functionally, and you're never getting them bent back correctly.

Sounds kind of fishy to me too. Overall, haven't really come across many articles about this either in other places. However, I do seem to remember a similar story about six months ago regarding AMD GPUs and quite possibly from the same source. Almost seems like an agenda. . .

edit: So it wasn't them, per se, about six months ago. Here's the story that was circulating back then on a bunch of sites(I thought we had reported on it too).

https://www.techspot.com/news/86236-retailer-data-shows-amd-5000-series-has-almost.html

Last edited:
Hard to prove anything on an AIB card unless you can point specifically to something. Most companies have had junk partners when it comes to making cards and motherboards.

that doesn’t mean that AMD couldn’t afford to tighten up their QC requirements for their AIB partners ...

Ever dropped an Intel CPU on an LGA socket? Ever dropped anything on an LGA socket? Ever tried to insert an Intel CPU into an LGA socket in the wrong orientation?

LGA is way fragile. I have boards serving in second-level backup capacity because they can't run their memory controllers properly, because I was in a hurry or just effed up. And once you bend LGA pins, you're probably not getting them bent back functionally, and you're never getting them bent back correctly.

Oh yeah, I hate the current Intel sockets. It is WAY too easy to jack it up. So dumb.

My recently purchased 5800X fit and runs like a champ in my ASUS Crosshair VII (X470) board at the office!

I have a 570 board, but nothing to put in it yet. I'm hoping it's something that is either not a big deal and within the statistics of failures or a fix is made

I even went so far to get a budget x570 board from MSI. The one with the notoriously hot and weaker VRM solution. A year later and everything is still hunky dory. Granted, I'm not doing any major overclocking but precision boost keeps that 3700x around 4125-4325 MHz nearly all the time so it is running close to advertised specs which means the board isn't exactly sleeping either. PCIe ports get to earn their living too with the 3090 cranking things out plus a 4.0 SSD for gaming. Maybe I got lucky but I don't have any delusions about dropping a 5950 into it either.

I wouldn't be so quick to call BS on this one. I've built systems and worked in high volume service centers in the past. I've built more than I could count for customers, friends and even myself. I have seen considerably more DOA AMD CPU's over the years than I have Intel CPU's despite the vast majority of systems I've worked with being Intel based. I was a service tech for a very long time and in the IT world, I've continued to work with thousands of systems. I've literally laid hands on more computers than could ever be counted.

In my experience, I've seen very few DOA or even dead processors due to hardware failures. However, comparatively, I've seen far more AMD than Intel CPU's die. Out of all the systems I've touched, I've probably seen one or two DOA Intel's, maybe a half dozen or so additional fried/dead CPU's and you can easily double that number for AMD's.

That being said, I also have to bring the system builder's technicians / workers skill into question. Primarily, I have to consider that possibility as this is the only builder that's openly come out and said this. The fact is, "DOA" CPU's are often a matter of user error, and builders are no exception to this. High volume work can lead to careless behavior which includes damage from ESD. I have zero doubt that Intel's QC is better than AMD's, but the difference isn't all that substantial. Failure rates of this type of product are quite rare in general.

I have some thoughts on the motherboard situation as well. To be clear, I do not know what these guys are choosing for their builds. I also haven't seen the same breadth of option on the Intel side I have on the AMD side. That being said, the low end boards I've seen for B550 and X570 chipsets for cheap OEM style builds have been utter trash. What I've seen on the Intel side hasn't been nearly as bad. Finally, Intel's firmware, memory compatibility, etc. are far ahead of AMD's even with AMD being in a relatively good place on that front right now. The point being, some of these DOA CPU's and motherboards may be a matter of misdiagnosis rather than actual hardware defects. This is often the case.

While anecdotes aren't evidence, I have seen that sort of thing happen in the many tech organizations and positions I've worked in over the last 25 years. I remember seeing one guy in the Comp USA service shop I worked at back in the early 2000's swear Compaq sent him 3x DOA motherboards. I took one look at the third one and discovered he hadn't set the clear CMOS jumper to the correct position. Compaq shipped them with the jumper in the clear position and as a result, the system wouldn't power up until the jumper was moved. Frankly, many "diagnoses" I've seen regarding hardware failure proved to be incorrect for things that simple.

Take all that for what its worth. There is likely a combination of factors at work here, but I don't entirely doubt the claim either, despite not necessarily trusting the source.

Seems like somebody ought to revisit this potential issue, because over the course of this last six months or so, and especially the last two or three, I've been seeing WAY more Ryzen 5000 series forum threads over at TH resulting in bad CPUs that have been replaced under warranty than for any other CPU in memory.

I generally tend to tell people that CPUs very rarely fail, but after eliminating every possible component including different power supplies, motherboards, memory, storage and graphics, there's rarely much left and easily eliminated. Then when AMD actually SENDS replacement silicon and doesn't argue, we know something is up. Especially when I've seen it myself, having had one out of four Ryzen builds for a client fail and I certainly don't expect this to be the case, ever, but maybe five or ten failures in the forums along with my one, is more than I've ever seen before in any year if you eliminate all the examples where the user or builder was to blame.

This is still happening and it's something that ought to have gotten more interest and investigation than it has. It's not normal and it's largely been swept under the rug after the initial interest didn't return astounding numbers.

This is why you take all early reviewers glorifying metrics opinions with a tub of salt and wait for world circulation for that product analysis or wear out the refresh button on that OEMs media channels for CONSUMERS feedback.
The problem is that reviewers only have a small window of time in which to evaluate a product. Normally we get two or three weeks and that's about it. That being said, we do sometimes use that hardware for other things over a longer period of time. But that isn't what I'd call scientific. In any case, we usually have a sample of one and only a short time to evaluate something.

The thing is, there are board makers I don't entirely trust given my experiences with them. In a review context, I have to go by that sample of one and you have to stick to the facts, keeping your personal opinions out of it.
As I've said, I don't doubt there is some validity to it. I've built hundreds of machines and I've serviced tens of thousands. I've seen more AMD CPU's fail than I have Intel. We are talking about a very wide margin on that too. I wouldn't say AMD CPU's fail a lot and if it works out of the box your probably fine. Almost all the dead AMD's I've seen were DOA rather than something that died at some later point due to whatever reason.

You have to consider, people don't build new machines for themselves or replace CPU's all that often unless they have to do it in a professional capacity. The odds of any one individual getting a bad CPU is pretty small. If you haven't personally experienced it, you may not believe it. People tend to stick to their own frame of reference without a fair amount of evidence to go against it.
Oh yeah, I hate the current Intel sockets. It is WAY too easy to jack it up. So dumb.
There are pros and cons to the design. The pro is that LGA sockets, while being more fragile are less prone to losing contact with the CPU pins once installed. I've had to reseat LGA CPU's far less often than their ZIF socket counterparts.

Back when CPU's far outstrip the cost of the board, I'd rather trash the board than a more expensive CPU. That has changed in the mainstream segment for the ultra high-end, but it's still true towards the lower end of the motherboard product stack. I'd rather trash a $300 MSI X570 Unify than a $650 Ryzen 9 5950X. Especially since the former is far easier to come by than the latter, or has been for the majority of the last year. When you get into the HEDT segment, the problem is even worse where CPU's can cost a couple of grand and the motherboards usually only cost around $500-$800.

Then again, I've never damaged a ZIF socket but I have damaged (and repaired) LGA sockets.
Seems like somebody ought to revisit this potential issue, because over the course of this last six months or so, and especially the last two or three, I've been seeing WAY more Ryzen 5000 series forum threads over at TH resulting in bad CPUs that have been replaced under warranty than for any other CPU in memory.

I generally tend to tell people that CPUs very rarely fail, but after eliminating every possible component including different power supplies, motherboards, memory, storage and graphics, there's rarely much left and easily eliminated. Then when AMD actually SENDS replacement silicon and doesn't argue, we know something is up. Especially when I've seen it myself, having had one out of four Ryzen builds for a client fail and I certainly don't expect this to be the case, ever, but maybe five or ten failures in the forums along with my one, is more than I've ever seen before in any year if you eliminate all the examples where the user or builder was to blame.

This is still happening and it's something that ought to have gotten more interest and investigation than it has. It's not normal and it's largely been swept under the rug after the initial interest didn't return astounding numbers.
It's a difficult thing to prove one way or another. There are tons of additional factors that could be at work here. Contributing factors like motherboard VRM design, BIOS issues and that sort of thing all come into play. AMD and Intel's relationships and standards with board makers aren't the same. On the X570 side you have far more low budget designs that cut a myriad of corners than you do on the Zx90 side of the house.

And as I said, having the pins be external on the CPU makes them more prone to being damaged while handling them than their Intel counterparts. It could be as simple as that, I don't know.

As it happens, I have a confirmed dead AMD Ryzen 9 3900X sitting here on my bench and another one that I've degraded slightly using it for reviews. It doesn't clock like it used to, but still runs normally at stock speeds, even boosting correctly.

Become a Patron!
Back