AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU Review

Awesome review Dan! Overall I am thrilled at my 3700X so far. I don't get the boost-clock speeds as advertised (Single-threaded my chip can hit 4.275Ghz without an issue). I can all-core OC my chip to 4.15Ghz though and I'll take it! The 1700X it replaced is noticeably slower than my 3700X.

Thanks Dan for all your hard work. Seems so much extra is effort needed for the Ryzen 3 series to confirm various results. I'm still leaning towards AMD for my next build but now watching like a hawk. On the other hand, you're testing showed that even without the fastest ram or clocks this 3700x was holding up well against more stout counterparts. I'd been considering a 2950x or 3950x and now all but sold on the 3700x for gaming. As always, learned a lot from your review.

Frankly, the "boost clock issue" is one of marketing, not actual real world performance and value.
If the box said max 4.3 GHz instead of 4.4 GHz, then the reviews would be the same, the conclusions would be the same, the awards would be the same, and people would be happy to see 4.3xx GHz on boost.
Thanks for the review, Dan.

Frankly, the "boost clock issue" is one of marketing, not actual real world performance and value.
If the box said max 4.3 GHz instead of 4.4 GHz, then the reviews would be the same, the conclusions would be the same, the awards would be the same, and people would be happy to see 4.3xx GHz on boost.
Thanks for the review, Dan.

Then AMD should have marketed it as a 4.3 ghz product, not 4.4. But, some people are actually getting 4.4 Ghz out of their 3700X, while most people are not. So, that begs the question, why?

It's not a marketing issue, it's a platform issue.

And thanks for the article! :)

On a side note the 3700X is a fantastic option for those looking to single PC game stream. I've not found a game where CPU contention is seen when streaming while using X264 with a medium profile at 6000 bit rate doing 1080/60.

And thanks for the article! :)

On a side note the 3700X is a fantastic option for those looking to single PC game stream. I've not found a game where CPU contention is seen when streaming while using X264 with a medium profile at 6000 bit rate doing 1080/60.
That's my exact use-case for this CPU.. It works great for it!

Thanks again for another thorough review .. I'm digg'n my 3700x and I don't even know what it hits for boost clocks :unsure:

I went with the 3600 in the end..

Thanks for the in-depth review regardless!

(MSI really needs to get their shi*t together regarding the 400 series bios updates.. for real!)

@Dan_D

I want to thank you for all your coverage of the Ryzen line over the years. I started re-learning about AMD beginning with your reviews at [H] during the first Ryzen releases. After reading this review I decided that a 3700x/X570 combo would be the start of my new build. Picking those up this morning and the rest of the new build(Corsair equivalent of the ram you used in the test, and 1 TB PCIe 4.0 Sabrent m.2) will be here on Monday. This will ultimately replace the motherboard/cpu in my 2600k rig.

I just picked up a Ryzen 5 for a work project myself and looking forward to getting it runing. That one is replacing a i7 920 that is long overdue

I also finally popped in my Ryzen 5 3600X and slapped a 212 Black on it. (got it on sale for the 3600 price etc)

Word to the wise, easily way to gain extra mhz is to force your CPU fan to 100%. On the 212 Black, the Silencio fan at 100% is absolutely silent and now Precision Boost is hitting 4.4 Ghz on some cores (y)

+ BIG boost from my old 2600k

Last edited:
Word to the wise, easily way to gain extra mhz is to force your CPU fan to 100%
From what I've read about Ryzen 3 is that it's very similar to GPU's. Make sure it's got enough power, keep it cool, and it will boost as much as it can. I'm going to use the Wraith Prism Cooler, which I know isn't great, but everything is going in a HAF X with some added fans. Big and a bit of air flow.

First I want to see how that works out. Motherboard is a MSI x570 MPG WiFi which'll have a PCIe 4.0 1TB m.2(for games), under a heat shield, and a few SATA III SSD's. GPU will be the EVGA 2080 Super and we'll see if that pushes temps beyond what the wraith can compensate for. If I can hold ~4.2Ghz and around or under 60c on all cores I'll be happy. If I can't do that then I'll upgrade the cooler. Might even go liquid but will have to wait and see. Definitely a fan of 212's though. I could always order the AM4 kit so I can reuse my 212 EVO with it also.

edit: I also ordered Thermal Grizzly paste for it.

I replaced the Silencio fan with a push/pull config of 212 Evo fans I had laying around.

I had to tweak the fan profile in the BIOS but for normal/gaming use I never hit over 60c outside of the Civ 6 Gathering Storm AI benchmark. (which hits 67c)

Be wary though, anything above 75% on those Evo fans and it starts getting prettttty loud.

Still, 60c gaming and all-core is 4.3 and four of the cores hit 4.4 in certain situations. (the remaining two max at 4.375)

- If anyone finds a website that sells CM Silencio fans at a half-way reasonable price (ie not 50 each), let me know please! (I want the fans to match, one way or another). If I can't find those, I'll probably pick up a pair of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CG2PGY6/?tag=thefpsreview-20

I really want a 3700x, but my local Microcenter has the 3600 for $169. (sigh)

My inner debacle is, do I really need another 8 core 16 thread box? I have the 2600 currently in my gamer, but it hates the 3600 ram I have. I still think the 3700x is all round cpu for gaming and work.

I really want a 3700x, but my local Microcenter has the 3600 for $169. (sigh)

My inner debacle is, do I really need another 8 core 16 thread box? I have the 2600 currently in my gamer, but it hates the 3600 ram I have. I still think the 3700x is all round cpu for gaming and work.
I believe my 4930k probably has relative performance to a 3600. If so, then a 6c/12t is still good for a few more years. I rarely see it go above 40%-50% in gaming. I picked the 3700x because that should be good for 4-6 years, I hope. The 2600k it's replacing has been champing it out for around 8 years now but when I put in the 2080 super a few weeks back, to test with the LG C9 in 1440p/120hz g-sync, I regularly saw spikes 70%-100%. It was kind of depressing to see true CPU bottleneck happen with this rig after all these years. It has been a good run and I expect close to the same with the 3700x. Now if only our local post could get their act together and deliver the last of the parts so I can build this thing and enjoy.

Become a Patron!
Back