AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU Review

It's a matter of wants and needs. My threadripper box is a good work horse, as is my 3770k and 4770k boxes.... I still wouldn't mind a 3700x, but am thinking I'll do a 3600 for the gamer

Reactions: _k_
I just picked up a Ryzen 5 for a work project myself and looking forward to getting it runing. That one is replacing a i7 920 that is long overdue

Started putting this together yesterday and was surprised. I have a low end MSI 570 board, running a Ryzen 5, and it requires a CPU+8 and CPU+4 power connectors, and I can only find that on 750W+ PSUs.

System probably won’t pull 250W from the wall as it’s mostly a CLI SQL/http server... waiting on the new PSU to fire it up.

It shouldn't actually require both a 4-pin and an 8-pin connector. The 8-pin should suffice. Obviously, consult the manual but usually you only need both for excessively high overclocks via LN2 or something.

Started putting this together yesterday and was surprised. I have a low end MSI 570 board, running a Ryzen 5, and it requires a CPU+8 and CPU+4 power connectors, and I can only find that on 750W+ PSUs.

System probably won’t pull 250W from the wall as it’s mostly a CLI SQL/http server... waiting on the new PSU to fire it up.

MSI X570-A Pro?

It shouldn't actually require both a 4-pin and an 8-pin connector. The 8-pin should suffice. Obviously, consult the manual but usually you only need both for excessively high overclocks via LN2 or something.

For the MSI X570-A Pro that I just set up for my review bench, I ran into the same issue. The manual did not give any indication that only plugging in the 8 pin would be sufficient. Given that I've got a 3600 in there, I highly doubt more than an 8 pin is needed, but plugged it up just to be safe.

MSI X570-A Pro?

For the MSI X570-A Pro that I just set up for my review bench, I ran into the same issue. The manual did not give any indication that only plugging in the 8 pin would be sufficient. Given that I've got a 3600 in there, I highly doubt more than an 8 pin is needed, but plugged it up just to be safe.

Yup. I saw the same thing in the manual “Ensure all CPU power supply connections” so don’t want to try it without it.

Yup. I saw the same thing in the manual “Ensure all CPU power supply connections” so don’t want to try it without it.

Ironically enough, it was a Corsair 850w I couldn't use with it, and instead I've got the 750w Enermax that Paul reviewed recently...

I kind of had this surprise too. I'm using the Corsair HX1000i from the 2600 build. Only had the 8 pin connector. I had to turn a closet upside down to find the bag of cables for it. Turns out there's a second 8 pin connector but the side for the CPU comes apart into 2x 4pins. Connected it and all good. Typing this on the new build now. Funny part is I spent about 2 hours troubleshooting why the rig wouldn't boot. Forgot I was using raid in the old one and had to switch to raid in the bios. Couple of restarts later and good for know. Ram is 3600 but currently running at 2133Mhz. Kept crashing at 3600 but I'll work on that later. Just happy to be up again.

Last edited:
Stayed up until 1:45am and got most of the kinks out of the system. Used AXMP Profile 2 and ram is stable at 3600Mhz. Don't remember the timings but verified thru BIOS and CPUz, and HWinfo. Woohoo! Did some benching with SOTTR, since it's a CPU and GPU intensive bench, and afterburner was reporting the CPU averaging 4225-4250Mhz with occasional spikes upwards of 4300Mhz. Don't know if that's all cores yet-too tired to do much more testing. Went thru the hoops and switched Windows&BIOS back to ACHI. Thing is running like a champ but I'll probably re-image WIndows on Saturday just to keep it clean. I'm going to keep the largest sized games installed on the PCIe 4.0 NVMe in hopes of decreased load times.

I'd say you are getting core clocks that are consistent with the majority of 3700X owners. Myself included. All the tweaking and time wasted on updating this, changing that, yielded me maybe 4325 max on one core. It really, honestly, is not worth the trouble.

System is smokin fast as is with all stock settings.

Reactions: _k_
afterburner was reporting the CPU averaging 4225-4250Mhz with occasional spikes upwards of 4300Mhz. Don't know if that's all cores yet-too tired to do much more testing.

You should get that AM4 kit for the 212 and pop it on..

Seeing as how you've already got the cooler n all.

- every little bit helps

- every little bit helps

It's not going to make much of, if any, difference. I'm running custom water on dual 360 rads. My CPU never cracks 60c.

These CPU's like the voltage. And voltage control is pretty well broken. Nothing makes sense, even setting a static voltage you'll see massive vdroop under load with LLC cranked up. Setting it higher just means way too high idle voltage.

I really really don't get the voltage control on these X570 mobo's.

It's not going to make much of, if any, difference. I'm running custom water on dual 360 rads. My CPU never cracks 60c.

These CPU's like the voltage. And voltage control is pretty well broken. Nothing makes sense, even setting a static voltage you'll see massive vdroop under load with LLC cranked up. Setting it higher just means way too high idle voltage.

I really really don't get the voltage control on these X570 mobo's.
Interesting. I noticed last night that the BIOS has a "game mode" that automatically add's roughly 500Mhz to the base. Thought about trying it but that will wait until after I've had some time to experience with stock settings

- every little bit helps

I might. Also considering addin it to my 4930k rig so I can try that push/pull configuration I've always wondered about since all I'd have to do is snap it on and plug in. It'd be nice if I can lower the fan speeds on that one. That rig performs impressively but between the 2080TI max OC settings and having the 4930k at 4.3Ghz the fans have been getting louder. If I could dissipate a little more heat while lowering those rpms it'd be nice.

Gotta admit though, I like the way the Prism looks. Not normally into RGB stuff but it looks cool.

I kind of had this surprise too. I'm using the Corsair HX1000i from the 2600 build. Only had the 8 pin connector. I had to turn a closet upside down to find the bag of cables for it. Turns out there's a second 8 pin connector but the side for the CPU comes apart into 2x 4pins. Connected it and all good. Typing this on the new build now. Funny part is I spent about 2 hours troubleshooting why the rig wouldn't boot. Forgot I was using raid in the old one and had to switch to raid in the bios. Couple of restarts later and good for know. Ram is 3600 but currently running at 2133Mhz. Kept crashing at 3600 but I'll work on that later. Just happy to be up again.

New PSU in - got it running. No issues at all with RAM at rated speed (3200 GSkill kit)

Haven't really pushed it yet - migrating our server from Fedora 10 to Ubuntu 18.... a huge pain trying to get all this obsolete software up to date and find equivalents for all the little dohickies we had changed over the years. But haven't noticed any issues hardware-wise yet (knock on wood)

New PSU in - got it running. No issues at all with RAM at rated speed (3200 GSkill kit)

Haven't really pushed it yet - migrating our server from Fedora 10 to Ubuntu 18.... a huge pain trying to get all this obsolete software up to date and find equivalents for all the little dohickies we had changed over the years. But haven't noticed any issues hardware-wise yet (knock on wood)
Awesome. I know what you mean about updating. PIA. Then begins the fun of find out where new interfaces have moved stuff and those little features you loved that seem to have disappeared.

I was able to get my ram at it's stock 3600Mhz speed using Profile 2 in the Bios. Biggest headache was Windows adjusting itself. Took about a dozen restarts between the ram changes and switching it from raid0 to AHCI. Now it's totally stable and I'm loving it.

@Dan_D Now I get what you've stated about how FPS from the GPU doesn't exactly relate to the latency in frames being prepared by the CPU. It's a whole new world for me again. I keep thinking after all these decades that I know what to expect after an upgrade/new build but then the experience of something like this reminds me what it's all about all over again. In the minutes I've had, here and there, over the week, I've been testing things again and even this 2080 Super w/ this new rig is pretty amazing in 1440p.

Awesome. I know what you mean about updating. PIA. Then begins the fun of find out where new interfaces have moved stuff and those little features you loved that seem to have disappeared.

I was able to get my ram at it's stock 3600Mhz speed using Profile 2 in the Bios. Biggest headache was Windows adjusting itself. Took about a dozen restarts between the ram changes and switching it from raid0 to AHCI. Now it's totally stable and I'm loving it.

@Dan_D Now I get what you've stated about how FPS from the GPU doesn't exactly relate to the latency in frames being prepared by the CPU. It's a whole new world for me again. I keep thinking after all these decades that I know what to expect after an upgrade/new build but then the experience of something like this reminds me what it's all about all over again. In the minutes I've had, here and there, over the week, I've been testing things again and even this 2080 Super w/ this new rig is pretty amazing in 1440p.

Indeed it is. As I said, it was a huge discovery for me finding out that my Threadripper 2920X sucked hard at gaming. I knew it wasn't the most ideal option out there and why, but I figured at 4K, I wouldn't really see much of a difference as I'd be GPU bound. Turns out, the impact is definitely there.

Phfft.... It's been so long now, I'm rethinking the 3900x. **** life and responsibilities. One day I will upgrade that 2600

Become a Patron!
Back