AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D Beats 12th Gen Intel Core i9-12900KS by 16% in Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
It looks like AMD's first Ryzen chip with 3D V-Cache technology might actually be a significant upgrade for gamers—or, at least, fans of the latest Tomb Raider game from Eidos Montréal. As promised, Peru-based hardware site XanxoGaming has shared the first gaming benchmarks for the Ryzen 7 5800X3D today, and they indicate that the CPU provides gains of as much as 16% in Shadow of the Tomb Raider versus Intel's latest Alder Lake-S flagship, the Core i9-12900KS, and as much as 21% versus the standard Core i9-12900K/KF.

Go to post

Their test benches were not apples to apples though, different ram, different GPUs etc. Ironically the i9 had the better GPU and still lost, but they are running 720p just to see raw performance numbers. I'd rather see real game benches at resolutions people actually play at

Their test benches were not apples to apples though, different ram, different GPUs etc. Ironically the i9 had the better GPU and still lost, but they are running 720p just to see raw performance numbers. I'd rather see real game benches at resolutions people actually play at

I think they do that to try and give as much difference in the metric as they can and make the bottle neck the CPU as opposed to the video card.

Surprising the difference but at that low of a resolution the video card really doesn't matter.

Also you have to wonder if there is a benefit to running a all AMD rig as opposed to a mixed AMD/Nvidia rig for testing at that level. Resizable BAR and all. (BTW not on by default.).

I'm curious how much this is the CPU and how much this is the new chipset driver taking advantage of the larger Cache specifically. Meaning will those of us with 5900x or 5950x CPU's see a bump up in performance as well?

Well, as someone eyeing this processor as a potential upgrade candidate I'm very interesting in more reviews. I agree, there's just not enough here to make a true apples-to-apples comparison but I'm sure it won't be long until there are better reviews.

From testing this game since it was new and using it with tons of different CPU's, you can't go by this game for CPU purchases. Meaning, SoTTR performs differently than other games with various CPU's. This game tends to favor higher core counts in every scenario. Despite the clock speed loss, it's faster on a 10980XE than it is a 10900K for example.

Become a Patron!
Back