AMD Ryzen 7000X3D Series Expected To Be Unveiled at CES 2023

If you look at it from the "Building new system" perspective - Not a lot of daylight between Intel and AMD there. And if you are building a new system from scratch, you probably aren't kitting it out with DDR4 if you can help it.

And if you are looking at Upgrade ... well, you can upgrade Alder to Raptor, but any other gen and you are looking at a new motherboard as well. So, yeah, I guess you can re-use your DDR4 out of your old system... but you'd probably be better off keeping it as a working system.

If I were just betting - AMD got a lot of miles out of AM4 (and a many sockets before that even), whereas Intel seems to change out sockets at a whim (and if I were placing a side bet, it would be that Intel only did this generation because they feel threatened). I would bet on AM5 if I were looking to kit out a system with long term upgrades in mind.

The B650 seems to slide right in where it needs to with price/performance for someone with a budget.
I wasn't able to keep my old MB since the early 2000s when upgrading my CPU. Arguably the first really good competitive CPU for AM4 was the Ryzen 3xxx series. Which I got, but the only upgrade path from there is the 5xxx series but that is an incremental step at best. If the 5800X3D was priced realistically, I'd have made that jump at least, but that CPU is way overpriced.

If I were to upgrade now, I'd definitely go for Raptor Lake, looks like much better bang for the buck, especially with not having to worry about RAM. The I5-13600K looks insane on performance/price.

I agree about the current pricing. AMD needs to drop CPU prices at this point. Especially on the 5800X3D. If they dropped that to $300 it'd be a smokin deal. Otherwise what's the point in paying $400+ for one right now?

In my experience selling things as a bundle is much harder than just individual parts Unless you give giant discounts over what those parts are worth separately on the used market.

Last time I upgraded I sold my whole build, the only thing that it was missing was a proper GPU, but I added an old one to it just so it could power up and run as is. I got less for it than what my new MB cost. So I don't count on recouping costs by selling old parts much.
I don’t sell stuff randomly online and part it out. I know enough people that are generally interested I can say “hey, I’ve got a 5950x, MB and 64GB ram, $800” and someone like my old college roommate will pick it up. Way less work and no one ever flakes on paying .

In my experience selling things as a bundle is much harder than just individual parts Unless you give giant discounts over what those parts are worth separately on the used market.
Where I live, I can't part out a system - unless I'm willing to Ebay/Ship, and I'm not.

But if it's a working system, even if it's junky with IGP and barely enough RAM to boot; so long as it has Windows someone around here will buy it. I may not get much money for it, but it's more money than I get from letting it rot in the closet or chucking it out the trash.

I don’t sell stuff randomly online and part it out. I know enough people that are generally interested I can say “hey, I’ve got a 5950x, MB and 64GB ram, $800” and someone like my old college roommate will pick it up. Way less work and no one ever flakes on paying .
Selling parts to friends or family is a no go. I'd feel responsible for it if it would happen to fail for them. Best if out of warranty used parts go to random strangers making it clear that after 3 days they are on their own with it.

Besides most of my friends lost interest in PC hardware, or never had it in the first place.

Become a Patron!
Back