AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPU Review New BIOS Performance Tested

They lied! :) Thank God. ASUS just release a kick *** bios is probably the answer and really all the memory stuff is on the CPU which determines capability as long as signalling to the dims are good - why not? On the 2700 My top stable was 3200mhz, not much higher than 2933 in what AMD said, which was probably conservative. Being a T-Topology board probably helps but the new C8H is also doing 4 sticks at 3733 and that board is daisy chain - so for these speeds the topology probably does not make much difference if the traces are well done to the memory sticks.
[/URL][/URL]

Which begs the real question - what advantage if any are the much higher ram speeds, 3800mhz plus when you are no longer at 1:1 ratio between the ram speed and infinity fabric? It actually looks like performance goes down going over the 1:1 ratio. Sweet spot for Ryzen 3 looks to be the 3600-3733 memory speeds. So those just going after ram speed numbers, ignoring any real benefit, a daisy chain motherboard will probably get you there - most of the X570 boards except for ASRock.

I don't think they lied as much as they gave a conservative estimate on what you can expect. I think this is due to the variable levels of quality in motherboard designs. As pointed out above, the PCB layer count can make a difference as do many other design choices. Cheaper X570 motherboards aren't likely to clock RAM as high as the more expensive ones probably can. MSI's MEG X570 GODLIKE is the one they hit 5133MHz on. I'm sure you can get 4x DIMMs running on that thing at various speeds above DDR4 2933MHz. I simply haven't tried it and I don't know if I have any RAM on hand that Ryzen would like well enough to allow that.

In the mean time, I had a 4x4GB (16GB) kit on my ASUS Maximus XI Formula running at DDR4 3866MHz, and I decided to see if a 4x8GB DDR4 3600MHz Samsung B-die kit would work on that board as that's 32GB, not 16. It kept the 3866MHz settings and simply worked. So those are clocked beyond what they are rated for. I did some testing on them and they work perfectly. To give you an idea, I think I got those DDR4 3600MHz modules around two years ago. On my Intel boards, I have plenty of modules that work. So far the only thing I have that plays nice with X570 is the G.Skill Trident Z Royal DDR4 3600MHz kit that AMD sent with the review kit for the Ryzen launch.

Nice Revisit! Answered a lot of questions for me. Great work all.

Currently set on my system:
I'm on the release bios for the Meg Ace. 3900x stock air cooler.
changes by me in bios:
manual ram settings (no xmp)
-0.05v cpu offset
cool and quiet set to enabled
c6 enabled
fan curves set in bios
Windows 1809 with Ryzen Power plan (newest chipset drivers) Manually set CPU to minimum state of 10% in power adv settings

Runs amazingly well and stable as hell so far (about a week) I will update bios when the new agesa comes out most likely.

3900x Meg Ace first impressions.JPG

BTW, the new BIOS is out for the MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE. It may be out for the ACE as well. This brings it up to AGESA 1.0.0.3 patch ABB. This fixes the Linux and Destiny 2 issues.

Looks like the support page for the Godlike has it listed as beta and Ace is still not showing it. I'll wait for it to go full release and then give it a shot.

Thanks for the heads up.(y)

So far the only thing I have that plays nice with X570 is the G.Skill Trident Z Royal DDR4 3600MHz kit that AMD sent with the review kit for the Ryzen launch.
Are they as hideous in person as they are in the pics? Gold or silver?

Are they as hideous in person as they are in the pics? Gold or silver?

Pictures do not do them justice. They are some of the ugliest modules I have ever laid eyes on. They are absolutely in poor taste.

I've said it in other threads but I really appreciate it when the community get's into the nitty gritty of details and once again learning quite a bit about AMD specs and needs. I'm sure it'll come in hand when I do a build based on it in a year or so. Thanks @Dan_D for that bit of history on the previous page and thanks @noko for telling of your recent experiences too.

I've said it in other threads but I really appreciate it when the community get's into the nitty gritty of details and once again learning quite a bit about AMD specs and needs. I'm sure it'll come in hand when I do a build based on it in a year or so. Thanks @Dan_D for that bit of history on the previous page and thanks @noko for telling of your recent experiences too.
Your welcome, now I do not like the idea that I will be loosing PCIe 4 which at least works without issue for the 5700 XT on the next AGESA. Most likely I would have bought a PCIe 4 SSD. So far my experience is way beyond what I expected in a good way and I expected I would need a X570 board which is not the case. While I may get one anyways I am looking forward to what TR3 brings to the table, EYPC really pushes things forward which should mean TR3 will be something awesome. I am not sure how AMD will keep up with demand and if they are or will be foundry limited. Which I fear will just jack up prices in the end.

Become a Patron!
Back