AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPU Review

That was a well done review sir! Look forward to more. Seems to be a great season!

You should drop some affiliate links for those looking to purchase. Unless I missed them of course.

We're only approved for Amazon affiliate links - NewEgg rejected our application. I've dropped some for the video cards, but so far, Amazon has been out of stock on the processors so I can't get them into an ad box. I will have them up as soon as they're available to buy there (and I'll resubmit our NewEgg application).

That was a well done review sir! Look forward to more. Seems to be a great season!

You should drop some affiliate links for those looking to purchase. Unless I missed them of course.

They have been dropped at the end of the article and right here (along with a couple more on the front page).

Ryzen 9 3900X

Ryzen 7 3700X

Ryzen 5 3600X

LOL think newegg is still bitter about hoverhound? ;)

I think it had more to do with the site being brand new without much content on it. Now they seem to have gone missing from the CJ affiliate program and it says they are no longer active even though their website still points people to CJ. Not sure what's up with that...

I want a 3900X in my personal box. Sadly, I'd have to wait to install it even if I bought one now as I am an avid Destiny 2 player so that's a no go until that gets fixed.

I need to wait on this... maybe march April time frame next year. Maybe.

I'm a bit late in getting to this article (going to wait until prices come down a little; my 1700X is still fine for now) and not even through reading it yet but just wanted to say that HOLY CRAP is it an informative and helpful review! Kudos to Dan/crew and so happy to see what has risen from the ashes of [H].

I'm a bit late in getting to this article (going to wait until prices come down a little; my 1700X is still fine for now) and not even through reading it yet but just wanted to say that HOLY CRAP is it an informative and helpful review! Kudos to Dan/crew and so happy to see what has risen from the ashes of [H].

Yeah, agreed. FPSreview is my new home for reviews. It would've been great if instead of being mothballed, [H] could've been transferred over to the FPSr guys, but with reviews of this quality and depth, it won't be long until they have that name recognition too.

Yeah, agreed. FPSreview is my new home for reviews. It would've been great if instead of being mothballed, [H] could've been transferred over to the FPSr guys, but with reviews of this quality and depth, it won't be long until they have that name recognition too.

Agreed. I hope they make it work. It can be tough to gain traction when you are starting a new site.

Ok - I think I've got NewEgg links (and others) getting monetized on the forums as long as you're not blocking javascript. The NewEgg payout looks like it will be about 20% of what the Amazon pays out, but then again, it's far better than zero.

I asked about it and [H] needs to stay where it is - blazing the new name has been very challenging though...

Nice update just read through that. Thank you for that. The completionist in me is pleased.

Good stuff there, @Brent_Justice
Think there is more to gain or are we walled in at this point?

As has been noted with the differences in performance with the BIOS updates and the PCIe updates. I think the gains will be in unleashing all of the potential of the hardware's increased bandwidth more than MHZ.

Clearly there are some issues with PCIe 3.x to 4.0. As such there is work that can be done to improve how those works within the physical constraints of the platform.

I think we will see some BIOS tweaks and other driver tweaks and updates that will unleash more of the hidden potential within these CPU's. And the performance will be very job specific.

For sheer gaming? Around 2% more I'm thinking MAY be able to be eeked out. Some specific games that are very memory intensive will see better on the more current chipsets.

As with introducing any new technology we have a few hurdles to cover before we are running on smooth ground. Once we reach that point the over clockers will devise methods to eek out more. Right in time for the next CPU generation from AMD to come out. ;)

Good stuff there, @Brent_Justice
Think there is more to gain or are we walled in at this point?

I think there are some small gains to be had at this point. Clearly, AGESA code changes can impact performance as we saw in the tests using the different AGESA code. We gained some and lost some. It may be possible that AMD can provide AGESA code that improves the performance and still allows for the slightly higher boost clocks we saw via 1.0.0.3 patch AB. There are also some potential opportunities for tuning the platform to get more performance out of it and I'm working on all of that as well. I want to see what I can get out of it through PBO and exactly how memory clocks effect it. However, so far I haven't seen much of an impact through memory clock speed scaling. Memory manufacturers are likely to continue to produce better DDR4 modules for the platform over the comings months as well. So there may be gains down the road we can't see today.

All that said, I don't think we are going to see any game changers out of the existing X570 and Ryzen 3000 series hardware without updated CPU models like the Ryzen 9 3950X. Of course, we will see more from SSD makers as they release more PCIe Gen 4.0 SSD's. There are opportunities there, but I don't think we'll see anything special out of PCIe Gen 4.0 as far as graphics cards go. By the time we do, I think AMD will be off AM4.

Last edited:
Hey @Dan_D nice update

The reason you see gains in the After effects test is because some parts of it run single threaded code.

Sometimes you need to figure out B before you can run a+b and b+c concurrently.

It’s a really interesting test cause it stresses both single thread and multithreaded performance

Hey @Dan_D nice update

The reason you see gains in the After effects test is because some parts of it run single threaded code.

Sometimes you need to figure out B before you can run a+b and b+c concurrently.

It’s a really interesting test cause it stresses both single thread and multithreaded performance

Good to know. That's probably also why the Intel Core i9 9900K doesn't get completely destroyed in the test and does so well at 5.0GHz on all cores.

Now that I finally am ready to buy the local micro center is plain out. I'm ready to more than double my multi threaded performance but I'm so spoiled with buying locally I don't want to buy online lmao.

Now that I finally am ready to buy the local micro center is plain out. I'm ready to more than double my multi threaded performance but I'm so spoiled with buying locally I don't want to buy online lmao.
Don't worry they're probably out of stock online too :b

I was at Microcenter this Saturday and they were out of the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 3950X and had none of newer 3000 series Threadripper CPU's. They had plenty of the 3700X and other 3000 series CPU's, as well as boxes and boxes of 2700X's at $149.99.

Become a Patron!
Back