AMD Ryzen 9 5900X vs Ryzen 9 3900X Performance Review

Dan_D

Administrator
Staff member
3900xvs5900x_banner2-1024x311.png

Introduction

Today we are going to directly compare performance between the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPU known as Matisse and the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU known as Vermeer. This is Zen 2 versus Zen 3, head-to-head 12-core to 12-core in the high-end desktop (HEDT) performance PC enthusiast realm for CPUs. In addition, we are also throwing in the Intel Core i9-11900K to see how these three CPUs compare to each other. We are going to find out what upgrading from Ryzen 9 3900X to Ryzen 9 5900X really brings to performance generation to generation, and...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
You're missing (or mislabeled) the 3900x "Max" and "Min" on the first Ghost Recon Breakpoint chart.

Also, though I hate to be a turd, but those FPS charts don't work at all for me. I'd much rather see one line going across with the min, avg and max color coded on it. It makes things too unnecessarily busy when there's a separate line for each. Again, just my opinion.

You're missing (or mislabeled) the 3900x "Max" and "Min" on the first Ghost Recon Breakpoint chart.

Also, though I hate to be a turd, but those FPS charts don't work at all for me. I'd much rather see one line going across with the min, avg and max color coded on it. It makes things too unnecessarily busy when there's a separate line for each. Again, just my opinion.
Most likely mislabeled. The graph format will also be changing in the future for these.

Thanks @Dan_D , awesome article!

I'm loving these comparison articles. For those of us with the older chips it's nice to see what the real gains could be. I'm still going to hold onto my 3700x for a bit but that other article you did on it vs the 5800x was a bit of an eye opener.

Thanks @Dan_D , awesome article!

I'm loving these comparison articles. For those of us with the older chips it's nice to see what the real gains could be. I'm still going to hold onto my 3700x for a bit but that other article you did on it vs the 5800x was a bit of an eye opener.
Yeah, the Ryzen 5000 series offers quite a bit over the 3000 series performance wise. Although, whether or not that's enough to justify the price of an upgrade is debatable.

Since this is a "now that Zen3 has been out for a while" type of article, was there any significant difference between performance upon initial release versus now when things have matured a bit?

Since this is a "now that Zen3 has been out for a while" type of article, was there any significant difference between performance upon initial release versus now when things have matured a bit?
Unfortunately, that's a question I can't really answer. We didn't have the 5900X until somewhat recently. The availability was so bad that we didn't get sampled by AMD when these were released and we had to buy this CPU retail. And again, retail availability was horrible so it took us a really long time to get one.

The answer should be "yes." By how much? I couldn't say unfortunately.

Become a Patron!
Back