AMD Ryzen 9 7950X CPU Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
Introduction This is our review of the AMD Ryzen 9 7950X CPU, AMD’s next-generation Zen 4 architecture CPU which launched in September of 2022. If you haven’t read our previous reviews, check out our Ryzen 9 7900X review and Ryzen 5 7600X review. In this review, we will look at several synthetic benchmarks, including multi-core […]

See full article...

Thanks, @Brent_Justice for the great review! I'm keeping a keen eye on all these new processors as I gather knowledge for my next build. I can't wait to see what the 3D Cache 7000 series does.

Nice review... yea I'm definitely skipping this generation of CPU's my 5900x is plenty fast for what I do at 1440p.

Great review! Now how do I cool the stupid thing? And is my "old" 800w power supply going to keep up?

Microcenter has the 7950x + 32gb ddr5 6000 gskill ram for $567, and the 7900x same ram bundle at $469. Looking at those gaming charts, 4k is totally GPU bound, but 1440p seems to be the sweet spot. I think I would swing for the 7900x personally.

I also play (more than I should) a fair amount of Civ 5 + Vox populi.... it is my understanding it is a mostly single threaded game. I have cranked my 5700x to the max while playing, trying to cut down on the time between turns when AI is working.... doesn't seem to make much difference. I see one or 2 cores pegged out and the rest do nothing. So I'm not even sure the $567 upgrade (and $250+ for a new mobo) would make a difference. I generally prefer AMD to Intel these days, but it seems like Intel does better on the single threaded stuff?

Become a Patron!
Back