AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X 64C/128T CPU Outed by MSI?

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
MSI may have accidentally leaked AMD's flagship 3rd Gen Threadripper. A monitor with a 16x8 grid of logical processors in Windows 10's Task Manager could be seen in the company's now-removed Creator TRX40 motherboard video, which alludes to a CPU with 128 threads (and 64 cores). That sounds a lot like the Ryzen Threadripper 3990X. According to Wccftech, it'll debut in January 2020 for $2999.

For comparison, the Ryzen Threadripper 3970X features 64 threads and the TRX40 creator doesn't feature two sockets so it is definitely a single chip that features 128 threads. There is also no possibility that this could just be the 2nd Generation EPYC chip as those are designed around the server platform and there have been failed attempts before to booth EPYC chips on the HEDT X399 platform.

If it will OC to 5GHz, that would be the last computer I'd ever buy.
If that's not enough, F it. :)

But will it play Crysis? :)

oops!

..when are the AM4 adapters coming out for these? 😏

Great now we need to buy a power supply for our CPU's and one for the rest of the system.

Hmm, so this is imperfect math, but

at 3.8GHz, the 12 core Ryzen 9 3900X pulls no more than 105W

Not sure how restrictive binning is there, but that's what AMD guarantees.

So ... if we want to see a base clock on a 64C chip of 3.8, that would be roughly...
(105 / 12 ) * 64 = 560W TDP

So yeah, I'm sure we'll see boost clocks up in the mid 4.0's... but base all-core clock I don't think will even hit 3.8, as current Threadripper TDPs are set at 250W. Nothing saying they can't up that, but it would be significant, as 250W is already a challenge to cool.

I want the PCIe lanes but I only really need a 3700x/3800x at max if I am being honest.

I don't think we are likely to see such a part. AMD probably thinks the connectivity and lane count offered by X570 is enough for anyone not needing to step up to HEDT. Frankly, they are usually right given that multi-GPU is totally pointless now.

Epyc is in the 2ish ghz, Im sure this will the same. Question is if they are able to match 24 core , then plus... Meaning enough cores are able to clock up as to match how a 24core tr behaves, then you have even more cores at the 2ish range something like that.

Become a Patron!
Back