AMD Says It Isn’t Trying to Keep CPU and GPU Prices High

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
During her company's Q4 2022 earnings call, AMD Chair and CEO Dr. Lisa Su revealed that red team had been undershipping its products in recent quarters, leading various publications to print headlines that implied the company was intentionally keeping the prices of Ryzen CPUs and Radeon GPUs high as part of its effort to balance out demand. Drew Prairie, AMD’s VP of communications, has now defended the company, calling those headlines inaccurate and explaining that AMD isn't shipping as many products simply because there's too much inventory on the market right now. NVIDIA appears to be doing something similar, with CFO Colette Kress telling investors last year that it was "undershipping gaming" to "correct that inventory that is out in the channel.”

See full article...

Uh-huh!

Just BS!

Su first reply was the HONEST reply until the SUPER huge backlash unfolded, which were hours ago TFR, from this sick person.

Keep spinning it, Su... you're doing a great job! /s 😂

I don't see how the articles are wrong... but I don't think AMD/nVidia are lying or wrong - just spinning it.

In a supply/demand economy, aren't inventory and price related factors? So if you are restricting inventory, you are, in fact inflating prices.

I sure don't see excess inventory on any shelves anywhere... but I haven't exactly been looking either. I see a distinct lack of service to an entire market segment of gaming - the low end has been completely abandoned, and I think products like the 6500 and 3050 are a travesty.

I don't think they are talking about current gen inventory. If you look anywhere you'll find an abundance of 6000 series GPU's for sale. No one is buying them. Why? Because 7000 series isn't much more money for markedly better performance. Specifically the 7900 XTX which is sold out everywhere. So what does AMD do? Stop shipping 7900 XTX's in hopes that the pleebs will buy up the 6900 XT and 6950 XT stock.

AMD's problem is that they finally starting shipping 6000 series cards WAY too late in the cycle. They flooded the market right before they released 7000.

Nvidia flat out admitted to doing the same so 3000 series stock can be sold.

I don't see how all of this doesn't violate antitrust laws.

Why? Because 7000 series isn't much more money for markedly better performance
I don't think that's it.

The entry level 7000 series, right now, is $899+. Someone on a $250 budget isn't going after that.

Nope, I think they are seeing what hunks of steaming dogcrap the 6500/3050 are and just thinking, "I'll just keep waiting - that doesn't really do anything that much better than my current 1660 / 590 that I paid $50 less for"

I haven't been tracking AMD stuff as much, in terms of GPUs, but I have seen some startling photos on Reddit regarding NVIDIA supply. I honestly saw one last weekend, presumably a Microcenter somewhere since I'm starting to get familiar with their display cases after so many other posts, that was fully stocked with every model of the current NVIDIA lineup (4070 Ti, 4080, and 4090). I was shocked but sort of happy to know that some people are there and are able to get right off the shelf. I have no idea about the pricing but it was stocked. There were also 30-series cards in the same photo.

I haven't been to my local Micro Center in a good while, but I'm curious what I'll see on the shelves if I roll over there and check out their GPU section. Since 2019 or 2020 they've sent me a ridiculous amount of vouchers for free flash drives/MicroSD cards (all 32GB), two sets of cheap 2.0 speakers with red LEDs, and one keyboard+mouse set. Grabbing that free sh1t has been the only real reason for me to go to Micro Center in recent years. I don't need or really want any of that stuff, but I ain't turning down free hardware (well sometimes I do, I don't always use the vouchers for the flash drives, I've gotten enough from them). I usually just combine my errands into one day to make more efficient use of my trips away from home, and so I don't waste gas just going over there to get a free flash drive or whatever. But yeah, I am curious to see what's lying around on the shelves in their graphics card section these days.

It's nice that "some" people are afforded the luxury of being close to a Micro Center. For the other 95% of us we're forced to buy online because there are zero local retail outlets that sell PC parts. Maybe Best Buy, but really they never have anything good in stock.

It's nice that "some" people are afforded the luxury of being close to a Micro Center. For the other 95% of us we're forced to buy online because there are zero local retail outlets that sell PC parts. Maybe Best Buy, but really they never have anything good in stock.
Yes I agree. The closest MC is close to two hours away from me (mainly now due to the weather), and I have been dropping hints to them to bring a store to good old NW PA for some time. Not knocking those who are fortunate to have one close by to them. I would probably be spending way too much there if one was closer.

My popz and I used to have to drive to the next state over to go to a Micro Center. We're talking a trip of a few hours one way. But when CompUSA closed down, Micro Center ended up moving into the vacant stores CompUSA left behind. My dad and I almost threw a parade. In the time since they've only spread throughout my state (I'm on the east coast). Over the past decade+ they've often had CPU prices way below online retailers. I saved almost $100 on my 5930K back in 2014 for example. For years Micro Center was the go-to place for CPUs around here. What the store is really handy for though is when you need to buy some simple adapter or cable or something you don't have on-hand but need when you're in the middle of a PC build, and don't wanna jump online and have to wait days (and often pay shipping) for sh1t to arrive. So long as the cost of gas spent on a trip to the store isn't more than you'd pay for shipping, it tends to work out. You can just run over to Micro Center real quick, grab what you need, and continue on with your build. RadioShack is not around anymore, and you can't rely on places like Best Buy. Every state needs a Micro Center.

I also use the store to test out different keyboard mechanical switches, and I like playing around with the PC demo kiosks they got set up. Like they got a triple-curved-monitor racing seat+wheel setup. I don't have any friends with setups like that, so Micro Center is where I can f*ck around with that kind of stuff. Same with HOTAS setups. Sometimes they have good bundle deals, like CPU+mobo combos. Still, I do most of my PC parts shopping online. I've had friends and clients do entire builds based off of sh1t they got at Micro Center. Some of the more impatient ones won't even buy parts (or most parts) for a build online, they'll roll over to Micro Center and grab sh1t there, My beef with that is Micro Center still can't match the variety of parts you can find online.

5-6 hrs out on the wrong side of Los Angeles.

There isn't much that's worth braving driving through LA, I'm sorry, which can add 2-3 hrs to that drive time, easy.

Become a Patron!
Back