AMD Says It Will No Longer Go after the Flagship Gaming GPU Market as NVIDIA Continues to Dominate with 88% Market Share

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Radeon RX 8900 XTX, a new flagship graphics card that many enthusiasts had assumed would be leading AMD's upcoming generation of RDNA 4 graphics cards, probably won't be happening any time soon, if ever, according to new comments that Jack Huynh, AMD's senior vice president and general manager of the Computing and Graphics Business Group, shared at IFA 2024 in Berlin.

See full article...

My bet is an NVidia written presser. =)
Note that the headline show AMD in a bad light and goes out of the way to mention NVidia in a good light.

My bet is an NVidia written presser. =)
Note that the headline show AMD in a bad light and goes out of the way to mention NVidia in a good light.

I'll take credit for at least not doing the same. I also added some more background on AMD's other moving parts and the industry in general.

I'll take credit for at least not doing the same. I also added some more background on AMD's other moving parts and the industry in general.

And for that we thank you.
<Wheres my hats off emoji?>
☺️

Given they're still going to manufacture high-end parts for AI, to me this is clearly just putting their production capacity where it will make the most money. Wouldn't be surprised to see Nvidia follow.

What nvidia, amd & intel are saying is:

We can give budget cards for gamers but big cards are dual purpose (AI first, gaming next. Because that is where the money is )

If AMD said we're going to release competitive cards at reasonable prices and cut our profit margin on them by a considerable % it would lead to more of their mid tier cards selling. (or mid tier cards price reductions across the board.)

as they grew in market share their ability to expand the teirs they compete at would grow. Nvidia would have to cut costs to compete. Maybe....

If AMD said we're going to release competitive cards at reasonable prices and cut our profit margin on them by a considerable % it would lead to more of their mid tier cards selling. (or mid tier cards price reductions across the board.)
Nvidia would just lower prices. AMD would sell less and make less.

Not if their mid tier cards were faster than Nvidias.
Nah - nVidia has been able to outsell in markets even when their products were slower.

The old “drivers”
Or “raytracing performance matters”
Or “gsync”
Or “physx performance”
Or … name whatever it was that generation

NVidia has amazing marketing

Nah - nVidia has been able to outsell in markets even when their products were slower.

The old “drivers”
Or “raytracing performance matters”
Or “gsync”
Or “physx performance”
Or … name whatever it was that generation

NVidia has amazing marketing
The difference is if AMD competes with Nvidia their stock dumps billions in value. If AMD looses just barely to Nvidia AMD stock increases in value...

Because Nvidia has grown so large all AMD has to do is jostle the cart and Nvidia **** near dumps value equal to AMD"s entire market cap. Enough of that and Nvidia will have to get serious about pricing to prevent that.

IT's not about winning... it's about perception.

The difference is if AMD competes with Nvidia their stock dumps billions in value. If AMD looses just barely to Nvidia AMD stock increases in value...

Because Nvidia has grown so large all AMD has to do is jostle the cart and Nvidia **** near dumps value equal to AMD"s entire market cap. Enough of that and Nvidia will have to get serious about pricing to prevent that.

IT's not about winning... it's about perception.
For AMD this move is about cutting losses rather than market share.

If market share comes that will be a bonus

I expect them to bounce back with UDNA (RDNA 5?), tho

For AMD this move is about cutting losses rather than market share.
Not privy to the balance sheet to know if they are losing money with high end GPUs or not - so you may very well be right.

But I suspect it's more due to a reallocation of limited resources - they want those people who were doing the big GPU designs to focus on AI products now.

Not privy to the balance sheet to know if they are losing money with high end GPUs or not - so you may very well be right.

But I suspect it's more due to a reallocation of limited resources - they want those people who were doing the big GPU designs to focus on AI products now.
I agree 100% on AI products as the focus. If you haven't been watching the AI announcements recently, there are many, and some estimates of >10x growth in hardware demand by 2027. I'd be slightly surprised if gaming hardware growth was much more than 10% by 2027. NVidia, AMD, and Intel will still sell to consumers, but it will be things where they just can't use the capacity for AI hardware - like older nodes, hardware that wouldn't validate for AI use, etc.

By "They" you mean everyone right?
Nah, I mean AMD. I find it difficult to understand: sell your tech in consoles for.... Some dollars per console? Granted yes its millions of consoles I get that but this is
vs risk a little by cutting margins in pc and making way more competituve products, at like still more than a few bucks, and remain relevant.

They dont build anything, not the chips, not the cards, nothing, just like with consoles.
Strategy would be aiming for production runs relatively short, in slightly older process, see how it goes every 6 months, renhash, produce again so.on, short contracts/ production runs at x number of units so.on.
It doest have to ever be an ' now im broke' risk for them, for going lower margin.
Market share matters, a lot. They shoukd be fighting way harder than what they are.

Become a Patron!
Back