AMD Will Boost Performance of Zen 5, Zen 4, and Zen 3 CPUs with New Windows Update, Delivering up to 13% Faster Gaming Performance on Ryzen 9 9950X

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD has published a blog post about why customers may be disappointed in the gaming performance of its new Ryzen 9000 Series "Zen 5" processors, and with it comes the news that a new Windows update has been in the works at Microsoft, one that includes optimized AMD-specific branch prediction code to improve the performance of multiple generations of Zen processors, including those based on the Zen 5, Zen 4, and Zen 3 architectures.

See full article...

Free performance is nice, but, this will also improve performance on zen 3, and 4. Therefore, this problem has existed for 4 years, and has been holding back CPU performance for 4 years, only to realize there's an issue now.

What this won't change probably is the scaling still between Zen 4 and 5, if both get a boost, then they will both still have the same performance difference between them, which is subpar.

I have put up a video in regards to this AMD Community Blog Post:

Free performance is nice, but, this will also improve performance on zen 3, and 4. Therefore, this problem has existed for 4 years, and has been holding back CPU performance for 4 years, only to realize there's an issue now.
This is my problem with the whole thing going on with the new 9000 series cpu's. They just keep coming up with excuses that supposedly slow down their performance, and now they find extra performance on older hardware kind of by accident. AMD just keeps going around in circles. At least their chips aren't degrading.

Maybe I'm missing the boat here... I mean seriously. Less power, same cores, more performance... That seems like win's all around.

That and they discovered an issue with windows scheduling across multiple CCD's... that they didn't think was an issue...

Though I will say in reading about X3d cores and all it seems like big little over on the intel side just with a different name. (I KNOW it isn't but the scheduling is similar.)

That and they discovered an issue with windows scheduling across multiple CCD's... that they didn't think was an issue...
It affects single-CCD SKUs as well. L1T described it as being related to virtualization protection features that could use tuning such as 'Core Isolation'.

Yeah, but this will only happen on Windows 11 and ironically both my 5800X3D machines are running 10 and I'm still not in the mood to switch.

My laptop with a 13900HX has 11 and it's fine but I prefer 10 still.

What this won't change probably is the scaling still between Zen 4 and 5, if both get a boost, then they will both still have the same performance difference between them, which is subpar.

I have put up a video in regards to this AMD Community Blog Post:

Totally agreed.

It won't help the underwhelming Zen Generation to Generation performance uplift, unless - that is - the Windows patch has an unequal impact on the different Zen generations.

I could totally picture a scenario where Zen5 benefits more from the patch than Zen4 or Zen3 do. We have seen stuff like that in the past.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Edit:

Side note. I hadn't realized you guys did videos until just now :p

Side note. I hadn't realized you guys did videos until just now :p
Hahahahahahahaha, where you been? But seriously though, like you said in one of the other threads, life just gets in the way. So I get it.

It has been tested now, this video is a must watch

Just finished watching and wow, there are some eye-openers for sure. Not really sure what to say except this seems far from over. Can't wait for that Ryzen 9 X3D to launch and see how testing for it goes.

I hope it goes better than this launch.
I have a feeling it's going to go just like 5000 and 7000 series X3D launches. They'll come in low/middle of the pack for productivity benches, and just blow everything out of the water with games. Intel doesn't have an answer for 3D cache. And with the 9000 series having that cache on all CCD's they don't have to worry about core parking.

Intel doesn't have an answer for 3D cache
Intel's been pummeled for a few years now - I'm wondering if they've cooked up something for their next impending release. Self-immolating top-tier SKUs aside, the Intel 'platform' still has some draw itself (Intel NICs for example).

And with the 9000 series having that cache on all CCD's they don't have to worry about core parking.
As far as I know, this has been thrown out as a rumor, but not really even hinted at by AMD? There's nothing stopping AMD of course. The bigger problem is really due to inter-CCD latency, which appears to have gotten worse on Zen 5, and would already tank game performance on Zen 4. This would be a problem for most games even in a dual-CCD part with two X3D dies in theory.

They'll come in low/middle of the pack for productivity benches
With some of the optimization done to lower temperatures, and a few statements from AMD concerning X3D performance, I'm wondering if there'll be a hit at all for the upcoming Zen 5 X3D parts relative to the recently released Zen 5 parts.

Won't be long before you start seeing ARM CPU roundups, and games start to get optimized for them.

Become a Patron!
Back