AMD Zen 5 X3D CPUs Will Reportedly Be Unveiled at CES 2025

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD will supposedly unveil its first next-generation Ryzen processors with not only Zen 5 cores, but also 3D V-Cache technology, at CES 2025.

See full article...

Maybe the wording is just confusing:
AMD will supposedly unveil its first next-generation Ryzen processors with not only Zen 5 cores, but also 3D V-Cache technology, at CES 2025.

But you then go on to say:
..AMD could be launching its first Zen 5 CPUs in just a few months..

I wouldnt call Zen 5 with 3D Cache "First next-generation Ryzen" , when that is Zen 5. Zen 5 with 3d cache is more like a refresh of Zen 5.

CES is always at the beginning of each year, we just had CES 2024 in early January, CES 2025 will be in January 2025, and the article indicates X3D parts specifically.

CES is always at the beginning of each year, we just had CES 2024 in early January, CES 2025 will be in January 2025, and the article indicates X3D parts specifically.
I assume this was to my original post. I read what I wrote and decided I expressed myself extremely poorly =)
Post was updated before you replied!

I was hopeful for Zen 5, but word is no new chipset, which means still Gen4 to chipset, and less chance of me getting my need of a system that can do at least 16x-8x at the same time without degrading the other.

Hope springs eternal that someone will make my kind of motherboard, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe Supermicro will?

I was hopeful for Zen 5, but word is no new chipset, which means still Gen4 to chipset, and less chance of me getting my need of a system that can do at least 16x-8x at the same time without degrading the other.

Hope springs eternal that someone will make my kind of motherboard, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe Supermicro will?

Why would they not do a new chipset, they done several with each new gen so far, they did keep the socket and were backwards compatible, and from what I see about the latest release, they imho need a btter chipset as the current one seems pretty lackluster.

Why would they not do a new chipset, they done several with each new gen so far, they did keep the socket and were backwards compatible, and from what I see about the latest release, they imho need a btter chipset as the current one seems pretty lackluster.

I know nothing for sure. That's just what the rumor mill told me a few days ago. Forget where I saw it. Some YouTube video quoting a well regarded leaker who has been correct in the past.

So no guarantees.

Yep.. it's almost time to upgrade my zen3. :)
Hah, I'm still contemplating whether to upgrade from Zen 2 to Zen 3. Maybe the 5700X3D will be it, as I keep talking myself out of the 5800X3D for being too expensive for an incremental upgrade.

@Zarathustra - I have also seen conflicting items. No new chipset (mostly) and some saying new chipset but extremely little change, like just some stuff like usb4, etc.

@Zarathustra - I have also seen conflicting items. No new chipset (mostly) and some saying new chipset but extremely little change, like just some stuff like usb4, etc.
More or less what should be expected. There's not a lot for AMD to improve upon from the consumer perspective; if they can make USB4 native to their chipset, they're more or less done.

Bubba, X3D is a transcendental upgrade!
No more cores, barely higher clocks, I consider that incremental. Even in gaming since I play at 4K I think it would be barely noticeable. It's a bit xpensive for a bit of FPS boost here and there and maybe hopefully smoothing out some stutters? I don't even care about the FPS just the smoothness.

Going from a 5800X to a 5800X3D shows about a 20-35% increase across the board in gaming. It's a pretty significant bump if all you care about is gaming performance.

Going from a 5800X to a 5800X3D shows about a 20-35% increase across the board in gaming. It's a pretty significant bump if all you care about is gaming performance.
I'm sure that is true if you play at 1080p low. Or with games that don't really tax the GPU. But I'll find out soon how much does it count if you are playing at 4K, which nobody is testing CPUs for.

Edit: I found out. Have to say this is about what I expected, no great surprises here:

3700X:
Cyberpunk2077.exe benchmark completed, 4216 frames rendered in 76.406 s
Average framerate : 55.1 FPS
Minimum framerate : 46.5 FPS
Maximum framerate : 73.7 FPS
1% low framerate : 41.3 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 31.7 FPS

5800X3D:
Cyberpunk2077.exe benchmark completed, 4448 frames rendered in 77.407 s
Average framerate : 57.4 FPS
Minimum framerate : 48.2 FPS
Maximum framerate : 73.5 FPS
1% low framerate : 46.3 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 43.3 FPS

gains only noticeable in 0.1% low, which means less stutters, but otherwise indistinguishable.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back