AMD's David vs. Goliath Battle: “We Didn’t Dream We Would Be Ahead of Intel”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Not too long ago, the notion of AMD overtaking Intel seemed like a distant pipe dream, but that "impossible" scenario has become a reality. Datacenter SVP/GM Forrest Norrod touched upon AMD's remarkable turnaround during this week's Barclays tech conference, noting that the company is rather shocked by its new market position. According to Norrod, the goal with Zen was merely to reach parity with the competition.

First time in the industry, we're going to break the laws of nature that had governed the semiconductor industry for the last 30 years, which is -- it's like the fourth wall of Physics in semiconductors, Intel has a process node advantage. We were excited 4 years ago, because we thought we're going to be at parity. We didn't dream that we would be ahead.

Only thing keeping me from ordering parts to build my 3700x project right now is needing to pay off things from BF. Otherwise I'm really looking forward to it and it will be the first AMD CPU I've had in nearly two decades.

Congrats to them and achieving that impossible scenario.

Last edited:
Great leadership and engineering teams really do pay off in the long run. (As well as having a competitor that basically gave up innovating)

Become a Patron!
Back