AMD's Zen 3 Rumored to Provide IPC Gains of Greater Than 8 Percent

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
With a potential launch in 2020, speculation surrounding AMD's next-generation CPU architecture is beginning to heat up. The newest rumors come from one of Red Gaming Tech's sources, who claims that Zen 3 will bring IPC gains of over 8 percent. They also confirmed reports of early engineering samples hitting 100 to 200 MHz higher than Zen 2.

Being conservative (and this IS NOT what a source told me, I am giving an example), let’s say AMD hit 10 percent IPC gains with 200 – 300 MHz higher on average for zen 3, but still retain the same core counts as now, it would still make for incredibly compelling chips, especially for gamers.

Not sure that's enough to get overly excited about.

I'm likely to still snag a 3700X next spring.

IDK I still give Intel a lot of crap for having generation after generation of ~just~ 10-15% speed bumps.

I mean, speed is speed, and more is already better. But it's really, really hard to get too excited about 8%, or even 8%+5%

Less interested in speed increases and more interested in potential for new socket, new chipset, the 4-way SMT rumor, and any other goodies.

Without large improvements in parallel coding (in general), faster per core performance will always be needed.
Adding more cores means even more are left unused and reduces the max speed they all can run.
I would prefer they stop at 8+8HT for now and make them faster.
Then game improvements can move on at a faster pace.
ie if more power is there it will be used.

I'd lay a wager that there will be a new socket needed for the Zen3 chips..

IDK I still give Intel a lot of crap for having generation after generation of ~just~ 10-15% speed bumps.

I mean, speed is speed, and more is already better. But it's really, really hard to get too excited about 1-3%.

Less interested in speed increases and more interested in potential for new socket, new chipset, the 4-way SMT rumor, and any other goodies.

I fixed that for you. Intel would claim that it was 7-12% faster. They would show one or two benchmarks where that appeared to be true, but the actual real-world performance was anywhere from 0-3% faster than the previous iteration. Intel would often increase IPC, but retard clock speed enough to mitigate the gains entirely. This is what it did year after year.

Without large improvements in parallel coding (in general), faster per core performance will always be needed.
Adding more cores means even more are left unused and reduces the max speed they all can run.
I would prefer they stop at 8+8HT for now and make them faster.
Then game improvements can move on at a faster pace.
ie if more power is there it will be used.

Couldn't agree more.

All these massive core CPU's are great for people who render/encode all day, but do very little for the rest of us.

Increase in per thread performance, whether it be via clock speed or IPC improvements (or both) will always trump more cores.

Become a Patron!
Back