Anandtech Sails Off Into the Sunset

David_Schroth

Administrator
Staff member
Earlier today, Anandtech posted a farewell to its audience saying that today is the last day of publishing after 27 years. They stated that Future intends on keeping the site online indefinitely (unlike TheInquirer.net that was snuffed out after it closed) and their forums will remain in business as well. This is 10 years to […]

See full article...

I guess everyone just wants YT videos now? I like Gamer's Nexus / Steve as much as the next guy. But I prefer written articles, which of course requires more work. I honestly haven't been to Anandtech's site in a long while but back in the day it was required reading.

I guess everyone just wants YT videos now? I like Gamer's Nexus / Steve as much as the next guy. But I prefer written articles, which of course requires more work. I honestly haven't been to Anandtech's site in a long while but back in the day it was required reading.
As David said earlier, Anandtech hasn't been the same in about a decade. This is when Anand retired and it was purchased by the same media company that owns Tom's Hardware.

At a time they focused a lot on servers, then they mostly switched to mobile/apple stuff. They stopped doing video card reviews ages ago.

For a long time they were the TO GO site for tech articles. Be it GPUs/CPUs/mobos/storage, etc. That was the main reason I went there in the first place.

Today no one really does in depth tech reviews anymore, except maybe Ars Technica.

They join the list of the fallen.

Sharky Extreme
NvNews
[H]ardOCP
The Firing Squad
TheTechReport

And many more I can't even remember.

Bums me out. But I haven't been there for a while. Good memories though reading reviews back in the day.

But I prefer written articles, which of course requires more work.
Written articles are far less work than video reviews.

Workflow for written review:

1. Acquire data by research or doing your own testing
  2. Create charts
  3. Write article
Same for a video review:
  1. Acquire data
  2. Create charts
  3. Write script
  4. Record script
  5. Record B-Roll footage
  6. Edit and produce video

At a time they focused a lot on servers, then they mostly switched to mobile/apple stuff. They stopped doing video card reviews ages ago.

For a long time they were the TO GO site for tech articles. Be it GPUs/CPUs/mobos/storage, etc. That was the main reason I went there in the first place.

Today no one really does in depth tech reviews anymore, except maybe Ars Technica.

Sharky Extreme
NvNews
[H]ardOCP
The Firing Squad
TheTechReport

Even some of the ones that are still around aren't the same. That includes Tom's and PC Perspective.

Written articles are far less work than video reviews.

Workflow for written review:

1. Acquire data by research or doing your own testing
  2. Create charts
  3. Write article
Same for a video review:
  1. Acquire data
  2. Create charts
  3. Write script
  4. Record script
  5. Record B-Roll footage
  6. Edit and produce video
I don't think more or less work is a good way to describe it - I would say they are different.

Afaik, Gamers nexus should still have a site with written reviews on it.

Afaik, Gamers nexus should still have a site with written reviews on it.
They neglected that part for a long time. Earlier this year they started an initiative to create written articles out of past videos... but... I'm not sure the format is translating well. It looks easier than it is to leverage video for written and vice versa.

Not yet a fan of YT videos. I still prefer the written word. At the risk of dating myself I miss the days of [H], XS, OCForums, AT (the OG version) and JonnyGURU's reviews. I discovered this site on accident, looking for a new hardware home. :)

Not yet a fan of YT videos. I still prefer the written word. At the risk of dating myself I miss the days of [H], XS, OCForums, AT (the OG version) and JonnyGURU's reviews. I discovered this site on accident, looking for a new hardware home. :)

I like videos for some stuff which is why I do watch some tech channels YT videos, but when it comes to benchmarking with graphs, charts and stuff like that I prefer it to be written so I can study the charts/stats myself at my own pace and come to my own conclusions instead of someone else's.

End of an era for sure. Sad to see them go as they were a part of the 2 to 3 dozen sites that I still occasionally check up on, albeit not every day but at least once every week or so.

As David said earlier, Anandtech hasn't been the same in about a decade.
I was jumping on to say the same thing. They were just a walking corpse for several years. It was time for a full burial.

Even some of the ones that are still around aren't the same. That includes Tom's and PC Perspective.
Yeah I was gonna say I would throw sites like them in with the list of the dead and fallen, cuz the modern versions of sites like these aren't even remotely the same as the true original ones.

Sad to see another icon shuttered but yea it having become a corporate owned site didn't help much.

I don't think more or less work is a good way to describe it - I would say they are different.
It's not a value judgement, I prefer written reviews too. But there are simply more steps to making a video review, which makes it more work.

Sharky Extreme
NvNews
[H]ardOCP
The Firing Squad
TheTechReport

Cant forget Voodoo Extreme and Billy Wilson!

I like videos for some stuff which is why I do watch some tech channels YT videos, but when it comes to benchmarking with graphs, charts and stuff like that I prefer it to be written so I can study the charts/stats myself at my own pace and come to my own conclusions instead of someone else's.

I would prefer the written ones but having a issues with my eyesight video is easier to digest for me, while I will still browse part of your reviews reading all of it is simmply too demanding for me, atm I'm looking into software to better enlarge my desktop and also have it read to me, but that is still only a bandaid.

Become a Patron!
Back