Another Day, Another Windows 10 Update Gone Bad

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Win10-1024x576.jpg

It’s difficult to shine a positive light on Microsoft’s update process for Windows 10 these days. On one hand they do try to address zero day vulnerabilities as quick as possible. On the other it has become a somewhat regular occurrence for users to report updates breaking something else.

The Inquirer has reported on the latest snafu relating to last weeks KB4524147 patch. This patch was supposed to fix some pretty serious security flaws with Internet Explorer and Defender. Yep, there are still some people using Internet Explorer. How serious you ask? Well these particular exploits, if successful, could allow an attacker to gain the user’s rights thru IE. I would say that is pretty serious.

Unfortunately this patch may have fixed these vulnerabilities but it also has caused the print spooler to have issues. To quote Egon, “Print is dead”, but the fun doesn’t stop there. The Inquirer also reports that some users are experiencing a Start Menu bug that can only be fixed thru rebooting.

On the surface these can be pretty minor annoyances but for some they can really add some unneeded stresses to your daily work flow. Not all users will encounter these. At home I have four very different systems and at most usually only see one bug rear it’s ugly head. At work I oversee roughly 30+ workstations and perhaps only one or two may exhibit issues, but I did see the printer bug last week. The workaround right now if you are having difficulties is to manually uninstall KB4524147 which Windows will flag as a required update but be aware of what vulnerabilities you might be left exposed to until their next ‘fix’.

This latest update made my task bar completely useless. I had to do a system restore to a point prior to the update to resolve it. What a nightmare.

This latest update made my task bar completely useless. I had to do a system restore to a point prior to the update to resolve it. What a nightmare.

Bummer. I admit that I don't really know what AMD users go through but for the last few years it feels like a virtual Russian roulette with MS or NV after every update. Pull the trigger and see what does, or doesn't, happen next. I'm at least glad they seem to be over the every 6 month new build cycle. Seriously would cringe every time one came thru. Last month's update caused one of the very few BSOD's I've ever seen on my 2600k rig's 7-8 years of existence. I wasn't happy to say the least but thankful the restore kicked in and brought it back.

Bummer. I admit that I don't really know what AMD users go through but for the last few years it feels like a virtual Russian roulette with MS or NV after every update. Pull the trigger and see what does, or doesn't, happen next. I'm at least glad they seem to be over the every 6 month new build cycle. Seriously would cringe every time one came thru. Last month's update caused one of the very few BSOD's I've ever seen on my 2600k rig's 7-8 years of existence. I wasn't happy to say the least but thankful the restore kicked in and brought it back.
I’ve been following the Nvidia subreddit and checking every new driver update before installing. I thought I was crazy when I felt like performance dropped a few drivers ago, but it looks like the driver with the best overall performance is a couple months old. I don’t know what the heck is going on at Nvidia, but every new driver regresses performance in one game or another.

I’ve been following the Nvidia subreddit and checking every new driver update before installing. I thought I was crazy when I felt like performance dropped a few drivers ago, but it looks like the driver with the best overall performance is a couple months old. I don’t know what the heck is going on at Nvidia, but every new driver regresses performance in one game or another.
Have to agree. I started noticing the same around 2016-2017 and ever since. You almost need to keep a folder set aside with game specific drivers on hand to re-install as needed.

Like I said over at the H, I must be the luckiest person on the face of the earth because, so far, I have run into none of these issues. I also am on the Insider builds at the moment.

Like I said over at the H, I must be the luckiest person on the face of the earth because, so far, I have run into none of these issues. I also am on the Insider builds at the moment.
Totally understood. Between home and work I've only seen an issue pop up on 2-3 computers out of 30-40. That's less than 10% but if you only have one computer and it happens then that's another story. I admit that some people like to jump on the bandwagon with this stuff but it is being noted all over the planet these days.

Totally understood. Between home and work I've only seen an issue pop up on 2-3 computers out of 30-40. That's less than 10% but if you only have one computer and it happens then that's another story. I admit that some people like to jump on the bandwagon with this stuff but it is being noted all over the planet these days.
Just keep in mind, that Windows 10 is installed on just shy of 1 billion computers. If an update effected just 1% of systems, that would be a million computers affected. Statistically, not an issue, but by sheer volume of numbers, plenty of people who can make the issue seem bigger than it is. Not to diminish or discount the people who are affected, but it makes it hard for me to jump on the hate bandwagon.

Become a Patron!
Back