Apex Legends Project Lead Calls Gamers "Dicks," “***-Hats,” and “Freeloaders”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
EA and Respawn Entertainment's PR department should be pretty busy over the coming weeks. Free-to-play battle royale title Apex Legends has been under fire for hosting an event with ridiculously high-priced in-game items, but its reputation has gone from bad to worse after its project lead decided to let loose on reddit.

Drew McCoy (dk05) didn't hold back on his thoughts, addressing gamers who criticized the recent microtransaction changes as "dicks," "***-hats," and "freeloaders." Community Manager Jay Frechette (Jayfresh_Respawn) also joined in on the rant, accusing players of poor reading comprehension and how his team didn't deserve the personal attacks and being called liars.

While their responses weren't exactly professional, they may have a point. Gamers can be a pretty entitled, toxic bunch.

The Iron Crown event drew masses of criticism across social media and within the subreddit with users ridiculing Respawn and Electronic Arts, the game’s publisher, for “over-monetising” and “prioritising money” by exploiting players with overpriced in-game items. An in-game item for the event, the Heirloom Axe, costs over £130 in microtransactions according to Metro.

I mean, it almost makes me want to go check out Alex legends. They're pretty spot on, but probably not the best way to go about it. However there are probably some valid complaints as well. Best is to separate the BS from the legitimate and then respond to those legitimate concerns rather than just call everyone dicks.

I totally agree here with the devs. Gaming used to be this experience between legendary studios and a culture movement, now it's whiney kids complaining about cheap ****. Maybe I'm finally getting old.

No sense being angry just because he's right...

Kinda see where they're coming from. Gamers these days are the most toxic people around. Think about it, when was the last time a game came out and people liked it? Every game released gets hate for something or other. Kids today seem to want everything free and they'd still find something to complaint about.

Look at Fortnite. The game is literally FREE! You can play all you want without spending a dime but it gets so much hate. Every streamer and YouTube spends most of their time complaining about the game. Everybody hates Epic Games as an evil corporation.

I understand why developers might feel they can't win.

Sounds like most of us agree how the community can be very toxic. The lack of hostility and the greater drive for facts are the main reasons I only post here and at [H]ard anymore. People will call you out on mistakes but rarely does rampant stupidity rule or is accepted.

These guys, however experienced, need to take a chill pill. Sounds like the stresses of the job are getting to them and they need to take a breather.

I'll agree that gamers can be a nasty, entitled bunch - but the name calling from the devs probably isn't the best way to motivate their community to partake in their f2p game's economy.
Agreed. I'd support them even posting similar comments of the same content, but there's always a higher road to take. These devs could have communicated the same thing without being salty little bitches about it lol

The dev is probably pretty spot on, but needs to settle down as the frustration is obviously showing through.

I refuse to buy in-game items. Those dickheads will get none of my money.

I mean, yeah.

"Gamers" are little bitches.

Free to Play games, micros-transactions and loot boxes are also a cancer on gaming.

Everything and everyone sucks. :p
Lol, I mean.. u don't have to buy things in game. I prefer to buy a game and play it. I don't like not being we to finish or compete in a gas without buying extra crap. I don't care about selling.eye candy and fluff (like skins that don't give people an advantage). Getting harder to find games like this though. Add-ons like you can get like Sim packs that is extend the original are fine, but not ones that are part of the main original story like (like for that comes out the same day as the game).

I refuse to buy in-game items. Those dickheads will get none of my money.

I think it's fair if it's a free to play game. I buy the battle pass for Fortnite every season and usually a skin or two for the hell of it. I have a lot of fun playing Fortnite and think it's fair Epic gets some of my cash for their trouble.

It's hard when:

-You work for EA
-Your pet side project does wildly better than the AAA Megablockbuster released the same week
-Because of wild success your pet project is now getting the executive scrutiny treatment and twisted from "fun pet project" to "how can we milk the bastards for all they are worth"
-But you can't say that publicly, because they sign your paycheck

You would think the moral of the story would be "fun games do well" but I'm sure the executive takeaway was "battel royale everything"

I think it's fair if it's a free to play game. I buy the battle pass for Fortnite every season and usually a skin or two for the hell of it. I have a lot of fun playing Fortnite and think it's fair Epic gets some of my cash for their trouble.

If they would have charged to buy the game I would have bought it. I see value in that. What I don't see value in are cosmetic items. I do buy the battle passes. There's more value in a battle pass, at least to me, than there is buying individual skins.

:oops:

People over age 11 actually like that game?

I always picture that as a game full of children (and the creepy older pervs looking to meet 11 year old boys)

Become a Patron!
Back